Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:28:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [NOW AVAILABLE] BTChip / Ledger HW1 : Bitcoin Hardware Wallet in a USB smartcard  (Read 62446 times)
Bridgewater

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 09:42:24 PM

For the Ledger Chrome app to work, what IP addresses/ports do I need to open for basic functionality (sync/spend/confirm on mobile device)

You only need to open port 443 on *.ledgerwallet.com

Thank you!

I have another question about security:

I tried out Mycellium with Ledger for the first time yesterday. When using Mycellium, even though the Security Card is required to spend, the app is able to display the HW.1's complete list of mnemonics without the Security Card.  Does this mean that someone in possession of just the Ledger Nano/HW.1 and the 4-digit pin can reconstruct the bip32 seed and spend without the security card?
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btchip (OP)

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 10:29:54 PM

No, the app is probably displaying the mnemonic from your main account - not from the Ledger one. There is no way to recover the mnemonic from the chip, for security reasons obviously  Grin

japerry

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2016, 12:25:57 PM

The application had a websocket open to Chain in the past, now we are using our own service.

Ahh ok. I haven't checked in a while.

Bridgewater

View Profile
February 02, 2016, 09:16:11 AM

No, the app is probably displaying the mnemonic from your main account - not from the Ledger one. There is no way to recover the mnemonic from the chip, for security reasons obviously  Grin

Oh! you're right. The mnemonics were completely different. I guess the Mycellium interface takes a little getting used to.  

Are there plans to have mycellium support the secure screen verification, or a complete Ledger wallet app for Android that does?
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 05:48:28 PM

How do I empty a wallet without leaving any dust satoshi ?
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2016, 08:26:35 PM

Are there plans to have mycellium support the secure screen verification, or a complete Ledger wallet app for Android that does?

It will be possible to do that with specific hardware - if there is a Trusted Execution Environment available with direct access to the UI, we can use that to prompt for a secure confirmation, or with our next wallets, but not with the Nano - otherwise we'd have to use another phone as a second factor.

How do I empty a wallet without leaving any dust satoshi ?

we don't have an option to do that automatically yet, you have to substract the suggested fee value from your total amount.

tricass

Activity: 394

Crypto enthusiast

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 11:50:58 PM

Have been using a duo hw.1 setup (one as a backup) for well over a year and find it an excellent and inexpensive hw solution especially when used with a smartphone as a second factor for improved convenience when spending. Have started looking into using copay and their multi sig support which also supports ledger hw.1/nano as a co-signer. The question I have is can I continue to use my hw.1 as a dedicated hardware wallet, as well as, have it function as a co-signer for the copay wallet? Or does this require or on security grounds a separate ledger hw?

btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2016, 01:11:26 AM

The question I have is can I continue to use my hw.1 as a dedicated hardware wallet, as well as, have it function as a co-signer for the copay wallet?

Yes, you can do that if it was properly initialized with the "allow multisig without confirmation" flag - it might not be if you were one of our first users. In this case, you'd just need to reset the HW.1 by entering a wrong PIN 3 times, and restore it with the latest Chrome application. But you can test it with Copay first. If it works, you're good to go.

tricass

Crypto enthusiast

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 01:14:29 AM

The question I have is can I continue to use my hw.1 as a dedicated hardware wallet, as well as, have it function as a co-signer for the copay wallet?

Yes, you can do that if it was properly initialized with the "allow multisig without confirmation" flag - it might not be if you were one of our first users. In this case, you'd just need to reset the HW.1 by entering a wrong PIN 3 times, and restore it with the latest Chrome application. But you can test it with Copay first. If it works, you're good to go.

I don't recall seeing that option when I originally set it up. Good to know it should work so I'll give both suggestions a go now. Thanks

mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2016, 07:37:26 AM

I just bought a HW.1, and i wanted to quickly review the process and ask some extra questions.

Process:
  • finding the website and the product: Really easy
  • ordering and paying: since i expect BTC to rise pretty soon,so i didn't want to spend any BTC, so i was happy to being offered the option to pay with Paypal
  • shipping, handling, packaging: I ordered on the 21st, chose the slow option, was supprised when i found the package in my letterbox on the 25th... WOW  Grin. Also: i was expecting a small letter containing a small piece of plastic, but i received a professionally wrapped big envelop, containing a sealed cardboard box... Shipping and handling was top-notch
  • price/quality ratio: the stick itself looks a bit flimsy, but when you hold it, you can actually feal it reasonably durable. I don't think you'll find any HW wallet with such a good price/quality ratio
  • initialising my ledger: i used the iso-image i found here https://www.ledgerwallet.com/files/ledger-secure-starter.iso on an usb-stick in order to initialise everything... went perfectly
  • setting up my system: on my workpc (windows 7), it went like a breeze, on my homePC (openSuse), i needed to do this: http://support.ledgerwallet.com/knowledge_base/topics/ledger-wallet-is-not-recognized-on-linux

Here are my questions/remarks, maybe some of them were already answered, i didn't do the effort of plowing trough 19 pages of replys... i'm very sorry  Embarrassed

• at the moment, the ledger wallet is basically a chrome plugin... Will this always stay like this?
  • maybe it's a good idear to put the linux tutorial on how to get the wallet working on a more prominent spot
  • will there be an option to sign messages in the near future? I think this would be a great addition, since that way i could get rid of my electrum wallet
  • speaking of electrum: would it be possible to get a newbie-friendly version of the installation manual for electrum? I found a tutorial, but it was so long i didn't bother following it
  • a new address is being generated for each transaction (perfect), but at the moment, i'm transferring funds to my ledger with very low fees (i don't care if it takes days, even weeks before it's confirmed): i don't see unconfirmed transactions to the newly generated address, while in fact, there is an unconfirmed transaction viewable on blockchain.info (i'm not willing to share the tx because of privacy)... is this a feature or a bug?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2016, 09:44:46 AM

Thanks for the review, on to the questions

• at the moment, the ledger wallet is basically a chrome plugin... Will this always stay like this?

On desktop yes, we don't plan to make it a standalone application (or maybe a standalone Electron application at some point, which doesn't change much)

• maybe it's a good idear to put the linux tutorial on how to get the wallet working on a more prominent spot

yes, we'll think about it

• will there be an option to sign messages in the near future? I think this would be a great addition, since that way i could get rid of my electrum wallet

this will be available in the next firmware update, when paired to a smartphone.

• speaking of electrum: would it be possible to get a newbie-friendly version of the installation manual for electrum? I found a tutorial, but it was so long i didn't bother following it

yes, this is long overdue, but we didn't get an opportunity to write it yet.

• a new address is being generated for each transaction (perfect), but at the moment, i'm transferring funds to my ledger with very low fees (i don't care if it takes days, even weeks before it's confirmed): i don't see unconfirmed transactions to the newly generated address, while in fact, there is an unconfirmed transaction viewable on blockchain.info (i'm not willing to share the tx because of privacy)... is this a feature or a bug?

it should be displayed, you can send your logs to support@ledgerwallet.com so the wallet team can have a look if it doesn't appear.

mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2016, 09:57:52 AM

it should be displayed, you can send your logs to support@ledgerwallet.com so the wallet team can have a look if it doesn't appear.

It did appear as soon as the transaction was confirmed... As long as the transaction wasn't confirmed, it didn't show up in the wallet's transaction list.
Can you tell me where i can find the standard log directory on windows?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2016, 10:02:25 AM

You should get them when clicking on Settings / Tools / Export Logs, but since it appeared, it might just have been a temporary mempool glitch, as we're still tweaking servers a bit.

mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2016, 10:04:01 AM

You should get them when clicking on Settings / Tools / Export Logs, but since it appeared, it might just have been a temporary mempool glitch, as we're still tweaking servers a bit.

I'll let you know if it ever happens again  Smiley
Great product, even better to see you're active on the forum, and responding to questions your users have: +1 Grin

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Bridgewater

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 11:02:00 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2016, 11:52:42 PM by Bridgewater

I have an HW.1 that is no longer recognized by the computer. Something must have gone wrong during initialization with Electrum.

I think I had unplugged it as instructed and was trying to display the seed in my text editor on an offline computer, but nothing was ever displayed.  Now it is not recognized in ANY computer. I've tried the chrome app, the ledger starter iso, and https://fup.hardwarewallet.com/ledger/, and none of them are aware that I have plugged the device in.  My other two HW.1 are detected normally.

Is there any way to recover it?  Thanks
AussieHash

Activity: 692

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 04:42:37 AM

What firmware version are/were you running on the HW-1

Can you show the USB bus report for the HW-1

Ledger Wallet:
  Product ID HuhHuh

Power cycle your HW-1 and see if the Product ID changes.
cryptillian

Activity: 128

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 02:45:59 AM

dont know if this is the official ledger forum but last week i tried to use my verified phone and ledger wallet to send some but it kept hanging on the last phase waiting on verify the phone. rebooted both the phone and pc but it kept the same. had to use the card any tips to fix this?
tricass

Crypto enthusiast

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 04:02:05 AM

I usually have to re-pair my phone with the hw wallet when that happens with my hw.1. No longer an issue with my nano s

cryptillian

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 04:27:40 PM

ill try that
cryptillian

View Profile
December 05, 2016, 01:18:05 AM

it didnt work. tried to re-pair it gave an error then removed and installed again on my phone same error. just now rebooted phone and tried to pair phone but it just hangs on"pairing in progress" phone does give the security code lookups tho. any suggestions?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: