Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:49:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [NOW AVAILABLE] BTChip / Ledger HW1 : Bitcoin Hardware Wallet in a USB smartcard  (Read 62446 times)
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 09:50:24 PM

Has anyone managed to use the hardware seed with success in Green Address?

I did manage to write my existing seed to a freshly blocked and upgraded dongle, but I haven't tried starting with a dongle that already had a seed on it.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btchip (OP)

Activity: 623

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 09:51:55 PM

works for me  Grin

after you ask for the seed generation you'll end up with this screen

you can then click the "confirm" box then continue

(note that if you read the seed on the same computer, you need to disconnect / connect again the dongle after reading the seed)

Are you going through the same steps ?

SikoSoft

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:21:44 PM

Thanks for the response!

I have absolutely no clue what is going on to be honest. I downloaded Fraps so I could record a video of the whole process for you and received inconsistent behavior during my recording. It didn't work the first time, whereas on the second time it did work (I suspected it was because I removed the chip prior to closing the popup that tells you to insert it in another device prior to removing this time around). So I tried once again thinking the problem was that you need to remove the chip prior to closing the popup; this time I left the chip in before closing the popup expecting it not to work.

But it did work. >_<

In any event it is working for me. I'll keep playing around with it and if the same behavior pops up again, I'll post a video showing the whole process.

Thanks again for the help! Smiley
SikoSoft

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:36:07 PM

And now I am unable to log in. Sad

This is a bummer because I sent myself 0.1 BTC and when I closed the wallet and reopen it, I cannot log in.

I get "Dongle is not setup"

I'm starting to get disappointed here because it's feeling like 0.1 BTC just vanished into thin air.

Is there a way I can recover my private key from the seed? I did save this.
SikoSoft

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:42:31 PM

Yup, the frigging thing is... god damn.

0.1BTC up in smoke because the stupid thing is now acting like it isn't set up. I was in the wallet. I was looking at the transaction that came in. I closed the program, reopened it and now the chip is not set up.

I can even attempt the first steps of setting up the chip and it says it is an empty chip.

Can someone please tell me there is a way to use these seeds to recover my key? I haven't seen anything on this which makes me wonder if it's useless altogether.
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 11:09:16 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2014, 11:46:19 PM by btchip

If you kept the seed backup, yes, it can be recovered. I don't understand how you're reaching that state though (other than by typing invalid PINs in a row).

Are you confortable with Python ?

Here's how you can restore the seed to a dongle with Python after installing https://github.com/btchip/btchip-python and replacing YOUR_SEED by your hexadecimal seed backup, with PIN 1234

Code:
from btchip.btchip import *
from btchip.btchipUtils import *

SEED = bytearray("YOUR_SEED".decode('hex'))

dongle = getDongle(True)
app = btchip(dongle)
app.setup(btchip.OPERATION_MODE_WALLET, btchip.FEATURE_RFC6979|btchip.FEATURE_NO_2FA_P2SH, 0x00, 0x05, "1234", None, btchip.QWERTY_KEYMAP, SEED)

Use the same dongle and if it doesn't work please provide the commands log

also, GreenAddress will add a mechanism to log on with the raw seed and restore the seed to a dongle, so you can directly do it from the web interface.

bottom line, if you keep your seed, your money is never lost.

SikoSoft

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 06:40:29 AM

You are giving me some hope here, as I did in fact save the seed it spit out into my text editor.

I will give this approach a test once I setup python on this machine.

I wasn't clear if you meant I should use the pin as 1234 or if I should replace that with the pin I created as well.

Also, I thought the seed was hexadecimal, however the last character is an X. >_<

The whole string except the last character is hex; is this normal?
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 06:41:49 AM

Yes, you can skip the X - it just marks the end of the seed, making sure you got everything (I'll update the documentation regarding that)

Then you can use any PIN you want - the PIN protects access to the dongle and is not related to the seed in any way

vitruvio

Activity: 850
Merit: 331

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 02:00:32 PM

Hi I got some problems trying to login with BTChip option, in Chrome app, sometimes I get an unknown error and no % in access button and sometimes I get " an error force to close your session" or so , and access button reach 100%.

Regards
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 03:52:57 PM

I'll pass it to GreenAddress to investigate. Did you create the seed on the device or externally ? Should not have any consequence though.

vitruvio

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 05:45:51 PM

I'll pass it to GreenAddress to investigate. Did you create the seed on the device or externally ? Should not have any consequence though.

The seed was created with chrome app and then stored on the device (I have seed and ecncrypted seed) , so I can login without the device and when I try to login with the device I have the problem.

After that I've created a new wallet only hardware wallet seed and now I can login with this new wallet and the old one. So I think the problem was the seed stored that way or the app have problems having same wallet in both systems.
kdrop22

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:34:23 AM

Can someone explain to me how this improves the security of GreenAddress. As I am new to BTChip and GreenAddress.

Process to use GreenAddress/BTChip
a) The GreenAddress seed is generated on the live machine.
b) I store a backup of the seed and notedown PIN
c) A copy of the seed is written to the BTChip
d) BTChip is able to sign transactions
e) However, the GreenAddress login can easily be done using the PIN. (without the need for a seed or BTChip). So, I assume the Green address seed is being stored somewhere on my PC.
f) Even if you were to use the BTChip for login. The mnemonic can be easily accessed from the Green address GUI, once the login is accomplished. If it can be accessed using the GUI, I assume the malware can access it as well.
vitruvio

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:51:56 AM

This is one way if you use the mnemonic passphrase offered by the app and then you write it to the btchip, with the button "Write to a hardware wallet"

But you can click in the arrows button at the bottom-right of the mnemonic passphrase (then you can see "Click to use hardware wallet seed instead", see picture above ) and then the seed will only be stored in the btchip. You have to configure your Btchip or empty it if was previously used, (be carefull if already have another seed in this btchip you will lose all)

Then you can login with the btchip, if you lose the btchip you will lose all of course, for me it's easier to lose the btchip with my car keys than to lose a seed phase written in a paper and stored properly.

Nobody explain it but I think this works that way, if I'm wrong please correct me show me a user manual and then I won't have to suppose how.

Regards  

btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 06:45:28 AM

Can someone explain to me how this improves the security of GreenAddress. As I am new to BTChip and GreenAddress.

Process to use GreenAddress/BTChip
a) The GreenAddress seed is generated on the live machine.
b) I store a backup of the seed and notedown PIN
c) A copy of the seed is written to the BTChip
d) BTChip is able to sign transactions
e) However, the GreenAddress login can easily be done using the PIN. (without the need for a seed or BTChip). So, I assume the Green address seed is being stored somewhere on my PC.
f) Even if you were to use the BTChip for login. The mnemonic can be easily accessed from the Green address GUI, once the login is accomplished. If it can be accessed using the GUI, I assume the malware can access it as well.

e) the PIN is disabled if you create the account when using the card - and you can delete the PIN if you decide to onboard an existing account into the card, which solves the problem.

f) that part might be a bit confusing - you see the mnemonic on wallet creation, because it's not disabled right away, but you won't see it if you log in using BTChip after that.

Then you can login with the btchip, if you lose the btchip you will lose all of course, for me it's easier to lose the btchip with my car keys than to lose a seed phase written in a paper and stored properly.

I'm not sure I get what you mean here - that might be because I don't drive, but you keep a seed backup in any case (whether the seed is generated by the GreenAddress client during setup, or generated by the dongle), that you can use if you lose the card - the point is that you never have to type the seed or the PIN into a potentially vulnerable computer again to log in or move funds.

Nobody explain it but I think this works that way, if I'm wrong please correct me show me a user manual and then I won't have to suppose how.

the user manual is a bit lagging behind, we'll update the FAQ with specific BTChip security details soon

kdrop22

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:03:08 PM

Thanks vitruvio and btchip.
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 05:57:28 PM

A nice GreenAddress setup tutorial : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=787418

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 04:23:19 PM

It is telling that order is expired even after sending BTC. Embarrassed Huh Can you tell me why it is showing like that? Is it because of the confirmation? Will it be okay after it get some confirmations? Order reference : 06e84be6-4dfc-454f-8f8f-6be1f368f521 . TX : 0fa9d42f3704b22796cd7c494d0dfa4de236f401de5b9fbc1cb26049ba0e2013. Thanks!

~~MZ~~

yes, that transaction seems weird. Was it "pushed" by blockchain.info ? It seems that's the only reference seeing it.

Nope. Sorry, I was off for some days. I checked it just now.

Summary:
Size   438 (bytes)
Received Time   2014-09-15 17:50:20
Included In Blocks   320943 (2014-09-16 09:33:48 +943 minutes)
Confirmations   939 Confirmations

P.S. I saw your PM. Thanks. I hope I will get it. Smiley You really are doing a good job. Smiley

~~MZ~~

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 04:27:16 PM

When I checked the order, it is saying 'Product shipped without tracking' , so does that it is shipped? So when was it shipped? I just want to know, so that I can calculate ETA. Thanks! Smiley

~~MZ~~

btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 06:18:17 PM

sure, it shipped last wednesday 17

wosch76
Legendary

Activity: 942
Merit: 1026

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:23:57 PM

when is expected to come out an app out of chrome working with btchip?
i think electrum is expected soon

It's done already, just not released yet, but it works if you get it from github.
Do you know the date when this final version of electrum will be released?

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █