Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:43:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I think Bitcoin will not become an national currency  (Read 6840 times)
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 11:23:19 AM

Well, it is legal to start your own nation in many parts of the world.

Actually it is not "legal" (recognized is probably a better word) to form a new nation anywhere in the world, at least not one recognized by any current nation.  The "nation" club is a members only club.  Even if there is some undiscovered land (unlikely since the development of global sat mapping) as soon as it is discovered it becomes part of the closest nation.  If a new landmass was built (i.e. massive scale terraforming) it likewise would become part of the closest nation.  The club sometimes expands when existing nations are split (usually due to conflict) but that is it.

A new landmass like an artificial floating island would not necessarily just become a part of the closest nation. Use your imagination and look at the references I posted earlier! Most of your statements are incorrect and conjecture  Cheesy
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 10:37:34 PM

...however we are still far in the deployment arena for BTC to be adopted by the masses.
the wallet should be layered and masked so people won't have to see a string of characters, just an e-walled with a simple name or number like a phone number (people are used to that)

Can't QR codes serve that purpose?
thoughtfan

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 02:19:26 PM

QR Code are a start, yes. But still not many people know how QR codes work, and not many people have a QR Code App on their phones. Fundamentally, adoption is also limited by what big companies like Apple use policies to prevent BTC Apps to show up on the app store as well. The only way to get a good? wallet app is if you jailbreak your phone.
And the app is questionable in quality at best.

On QR codes I think it's just a matter of time.  People are getting more and more used to seeing them around on ads for URLs (a driving school in London even has them on their cars).  I think it is a far preferable solution than for instance phone numbers simply because it is far less error prone.  If you dial a wrong number you dial again whereas you get a bitcoin address wrong... ouch!  People got used to using email addresses and URLs but I'm guessing QR codes will be used for all these - and even maybe even phone numbers in due course.

What I'd like to see are all sites that give a bitcoin address also showing the QR code.  I tend to use my Blockchain app for day-to-day transactions even though I'm on a PC most of the time so it would be handy just to point and send.  Yesterday to buy S.Dice through Havelock I cut and paste the address into a Bitcoin QR generator I found so that I could pick that up from my smartphone.  I'm nervous enough cutting and pasting bitcoin addresses (just in case I've missed a character or that I'm pasting something from previous) let alone typing one into my smartphone!

How about an addition to the Windows dropdown menu whereby one can right click on any bitcoin address QR code and send it to our pre-selected Bitcoin wallet?

As for Apple products I get the impression the era when they could dictate due to their market lead what their users can and can't do is shortly to come to an end.  Let's not lose too much sleep over what they think!
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 09:23:19 PM

If you dial a wrong number you dial again whereas you get a bitcoin address wrong... ouch! 

Not really.  There's a clever checksum.

The probability that a mistyped address is accepted as being valid is 1 in 232, that is, approximately 1 in 4.29 billion.

I type addresses all the time..  if you get a digit or two wrong a proper wallet will tell you. 
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4613

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 09:49:22 PM

. . . The probability that a mistyped address is accepted as being valid is 1 in 232, that is, approximately 1 in 4.29 billion . . . 
FTFY.  Grin
thoughtfan

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 10:24:57 PM

If you dial a wrong number you dial again whereas you get a bitcoin address wrong... ouch! 

Not really.  There's a clever checksum.

The probability that a mistyped address is accepted as being valid is 1 in 232, that is, approximately 1 in 4.29 billion.

I type addresses all the time..  if you get a digit or two wrong a proper wallet will tell you. 
Thanks for that - That's somewhat reassuring.  Amazing that I've read so much and spent so much time here over the last few months and hadn't come across that one.  Useful to know Smiley  Still prefer the QR solution though.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 11:08:36 PM

QR Code are a start, yes. But still not many people know how QR codes work, and not many people have a QR Code App on their phones. Fundamentally, adoption is also limited by what big companies like Apple use policies to prevent BTC Apps to show up on the app store as well. The only way to get a good? wallet app is if you jailbreak your phone.
And the app is questionable in quality at best.

Blockchain app works great without jailbreak.  It's been in the app store for close to a year.  I still hate Apple, but this is no longer an issue.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: