Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:02:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT Transaction disappeared from blockchain in 12 hours  (Read 2873 times)
coldice (OP)

Activity: 654
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 06:33:43 PM

I received $40 BTC from this address:
1FX4fnxikvhhK3cSxiuX9MkRPqpLJAr6Hz
my wallet balance was updated

after hours when i checked my wallet the balance came back to $0.16
and the blockchain hash of receiving $40 has also disappeared.

Please someone tell me what is the problem right now.
I asked the owner of this address:

he said he maid several transaction around $20k all of them have disappeared and wallet balance has also been reduced.
The transaction are not reversed, they just disappeared from blockchain.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.

MY address:
    14vrdrwsNJK3AdnerLWVwq2PSSZJcJVqGq

senders address:

Back to talk

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Can you tell me your address?

coldice (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 06:39:02 PM

this is my address

Back to talk
altcoinhosting

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 06:45:14 PM

this is my address

Strange... I'm using my phone ATM, but I don't see any transaction between those 2 addresses (I might be overlooking it).
Any idear if the transaction had confirmations?

coldice (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 06:48:38 PM

this is my address

Strange... I'm using my phone ATM, but I don't see any transaction between those 2 addresses (I might be overlooking it).

When this transaction was made i did not checked whether it was confirmed or not.
But an unconfirmed transcation takes 2-3 days to disappear from blockchain.
But this transaction was made 12 hours ago and now its gone.

Back to talk
altcoinhosting

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 06:53:00 PM

this is my address

When this transaction was made i did not checked whether it was confirmed or not.

What if the sender double spent the inputs he used for your transaction? Would blockchain.info show an error or just remove the faulty tx?

coldice (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:05:08 PM

this is my address

What if the sender double spent the inputs he used for your transaction? Would blockchain.info show an error or just remove the faulty tx?

but double spent take 2-3 days to disappear from blockchain

Back to talk
altcoinhosting

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:07:44 PM

In that case, I don't have an explanation. Once a tx is confirmed, it should be impossible to "disappear".
Maybe someone smarter than me can help you.

coldice (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:19:27 PM

In that case, I don't have an explanation. Once a tx is confirmed, it should be impossible to "disappear".
Maybe someone smarter than me can help you.

I want to know one thing.
https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/address/1FX4fnxikvhhK3cSxiuX9MkRPqpLJAr6Hz/transactions
https://blockchain.info/address/1FX4fnxikvhhK3cSxiuX9MkRPqpLJAr6Hz

why blockchain is showing less transaction than blocktrail of this address

Back to talk
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:26:08 PM

- snip -
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.
- snip -

If is was a valid transaction in the first place, then it was unconfirmed.  It has now been removed from the memory pool from most peers.  This can for any of the following reasons:
  • Enough time has passed and most wallets have decided to make room in RAM for more recent transactions
  • The transaction to you became invalid because the outputs that were used as inputs to fund the transaction to you were confirmed as inputs for some other transaction that sent that value elsewherep
  • The transaction to you became invalid because the outputs that were used as inputs to fund the transaction to you were unconfirmed and became invalid

Unless there has been a huge chain re-org that I'm not aware of, it would have to have been unconfirmed.

An unconfirmed transaction is a transaction that is not yet in THE BLOCKCHAIN.  The website that is run by a company that calls themselves blockchain.info might have shown the transaction, but they have a reputation for showing inaccurate information sometimes.  Additionally, when they show unconfirmed transactions, they can vanish at any time.  While it frequently takes 2 to 3 days for their servers to choose to drop unconfirmed transactions, there is no requirement for them to wait that long.  If the transaction becomes invalid they could drop it immediately.  If they decide that the transaction isn't likely to ever confirm they could drop it immediately.  It's there website, they can show whatever they like.

Nope.  A "multiple-spend attack" can be instant.  As soon as one of the competing transactions confirm, the rest of the transactions are invalid and most wallets will immediately drop the competing transactions.  If someone was successful in an attack against the person that sent you bitcoins, then the bitcoins they tried to send to you might have vanished from their wallet before the transaction to you could confirm.
coldice (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:35:07 PM

- snip -
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.
- snip -

If is was a valid transaction in the first place, then it was unconfirmed.  It has now been removed from the memory pool from most peers.  This can for any of the following reasons:
  • Enough time has passed and most wallets have decided to make room in RAM for more recent transactions
  • The transaction to you became invalid because the outputs that were used as inputs to fund the transaction to you were confirmed as inputs for some other transaction that sent that value elsewherep
  • The transaction to you became invalid because the outputs that were used as inputs to fund the transaction to you were unconfirmed and became invalid

Unless there has been a huge chain re-org that I'm not aware of, it would have to have been unconfirmed.

An unconfirmed transaction is a transaction that is not yet in THE BLOCKCHAIN.  The website that is run by a company that calls themselves blockchain.info might have shown the transaction, but they have a reputation for showing inaccurate information sometimes.  Additionally, when they show unconfirmed transactions, they can vanish at any time.  While it frequently takes 2 to 3 days for their servers to choose to drop unconfirmed transactions, there is no requirement for them to wait that long.  If the transaction becomes invalid they could drop it immediately.  If they decide that the transaction isn't likely to ever confirm they could drop it immediately.  It's there website, they can show whatever they like.

Nope.  A "multiple-spend attack" can be instant.  As soon as one of the competing transactions confirm, the rest of the transactions are invalid and most wallets will immediately drop the competing transactions.  If someone was successful in an attack against the person that sent you bitcoins, then the bitcoins they tried to send to you might have vanished from their wallet before the transaction to you could confirm.

try to look at this post:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1351758.msg13766424#msg13766424

this wallet has $50
https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/address/14vrdrwsNJK3AdnerLWVwq2PSSZJcJVqGq

but blockchain shows
$1.16
https://blockchain.info/address/14vrdrwsNJK3AdnerLWVwq2PSSZJcJVqGq

Back to talk
achow101
Legendary

Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2016, 08:54:19 PM

Please do not double post, you posted this in new thread, don't do that.

The reason you see two different balances is because blocktrail is including an unconfirmed transaction in the calculation. Blockchain.info does not, probably because they dropped the transaction. As Danny said, different services can choose to do whatever they want with their nodes, and blockchain.info has decided to drop that transaction while blocktrail has not.

Your transaction will never confirm because farther up in the transaction chain is an unconfirmed double spend transaction. This transaction: https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/tx/6847504c014e6937410ac3d02f7693e10dae2ef4743d02a3d4883f65464936d8 is a double spend of https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/tx/97a8a0d4426de5f1bc9299a6dd70eed32b1d4f2a91916166dcf4cd2bb4370d02. Since the second transaction is confirmed, the first one which your transaction depends on is now invalid. Therefore any transactions based on that first transaction (which includes yours) will never become confirmed because they are now invalid.

coldice (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:31:41 AM

Please do not double post, you posted this in new thread, don't do that.

The reason you see two different balances is because blocktrail is including an unconfirmed transaction in the calculation. Blockchain.info does not, probably because they dropped the transaction. As Danny said, different services can choose to do whatever they want with their nodes, and blockchain.info has decided to drop that transaction while blocktrail has not.

Your transaction will never confirm because farther up in the transaction chain is an unconfirmed double spend transaction. This transaction: https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/tx/6847504c014e6937410ac3d02f7693e10dae2ef4743d02a3d4883f65464936d8 is a double spend of https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/tx/97a8a0d4426de5f1bc9299a6dd70eed32b1d4f2a91916166dcf4cd2bb4370d02. Since the second transaction is confirmed, the first one which your transaction depends on is now invalid. Therefore any transactions based on that first transaction (which includes yours) will never become confirmed because they are now invalid.

How did this happened ?

Back to talk
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 01:44:29 AM

How did this happened ?
Whoever controlled https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/address/1Mo1hzhZYDLuRJw5qrCnirmPerj3xBARH2 decided to double spend and they were successful. People spent off of that unconfirmed transaction (which is a terrible idea, case in point) and that resulted in your transaction ending up in that chain and thus when the double spend confirmed, the entire transaction chain became invalid.

coldice (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:53:27 AM

How did this happened ?
Whoever controlled https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/address/1Mo1hzhZYDLuRJw5qrCnirmPerj3xBARH2 decided to double spend and they were successful. People spent off of that unconfirmed transaction (which is a terrible idea, case in point) and that resulted in your transaction ending up in that chain and thus when the double spend confirmed, the entire transaction chain became invalid.

does that mean if there is double spend i a chain other tx will never be confirmed and the btc got stolen ?
there were more transaction done.
How can i check if there is double spent.

Back to talk
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 02:01:52 AM

How did this happened ?

does that mean if there is double spend i a chain other tx will never be confirmed and the btc got stolen ?
Yes, essentially.

Look through the transaction history of the transaction. On blocktrail, there is a red arrow that points to the previous transaction referenced by an input. If the transaction is a double spend, it will tell you. Just keep going up the chain until you reach confirmed transactions. A transaction cannot be double spent if it is confirmed.

abhishek.g

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 03:09:59 AM

How did this happened ?

Yes, essentially.

Look through the transaction history of the transaction. On blocktrail, there is a red arrow that points to the previous transaction referenced by an input. If the transaction is a double spend, it will tell you. Just keep going up the chain until you reach confirmed transactions. A transaction cannot be double spent if it is confirmed.

How can someone literally control any guy's account ? If someone can it would be really scary. Blockchain has upgraded their wallet and hope everything should be fine from now on.
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 03:15:32 AM

How can someone literally control any guy's account ? If someone can it would be really scary. Blockchain has upgraded their wallet and hope everything should be fine from now on.
Someone else is not actually controlling his account. blockchain.info didn't do anything wrong this time, this is just something that is a part of Bitcoin. This is why people usually tell you to wait for a few confirmations before accepting a payment and this is why most wallets will not allow you to spend from an unconfirmed input.

abhishek.g

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 04:04:11 AM

Someone else is not actually controlling his account. blockchain.info didn't do anything wrong this time, this is just something that is a part of Bitcoin. This is why people usually tell you to wait for a few confirmations before accepting a payment and this is why most wallets will not allow you to spend from an unconfirmed input.

Then why do you think blockchain updated its wallet ? when I tried to login, it said v3 version is not supported . I was compelled to login through the beta version . Also I have updated my wallet on android .
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 04:14:59 AM

Then why do you think blockchain updated its wallet ? when I tried to login, it said v3 version is not supported . I was compelled to login through the beta version . Also I have updated my wallet on android .
I don't know, but it isn't related to this. This issue is specifically about Bitcoin, not blockchain.info. It is essentially about the protocol and how Bitcoin transactions work. The double spending is something in Bitcoin, not blockchain.info.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: