Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 07:10:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advice - Hacked account or someone is trying to trick me  (Read 1208 times)
Sarahiko (OP)

Activity: 772
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 06:51:28 AM

I started lending service few days ago
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1352856.0

Yesterday I got PM from a user named WhitePhantom that he need loan for 3 days using his account for collateral.I asked him to sign message from bitcoin address posted by him in 2013, he said its old wallet and he lost it but he can sign message from bitcoin address staked last month.After some discussion I agreed to give him 0.05btc loan and he signed message from bitcoin address staked on 20 January.

BUT after few minutes of processing loan a someone created a new account WhitePhantom1980 and claimed that it was his account that got hacked and asked me not to send any money but the loan was already processed.I asked him for signed message but he said he can't sign message.

Now the problem is I am confused if someone is trying to trick me to get the account for 0.05 or account was really hacked.

3 things to notice

1) If account was hacked then why hacker doesn't changed the email and password of the account?
2) How hacker managed to stake bitcoin address in January.
3) How it is possible within few minutes of sending loan someone said it was his account and someone else was using this but why the real owner wasn't aware when potential hacker used the account and staked bitcoin address in January.

I am confused what is going there

The new user isn't able to sign message from any bitcoin address but borrower signed message.
It is possible the old owner sold the account and now trying to get it back.
Sarahiko (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 06:55:06 AM

I told new account WhitePhantom1980 that if the borrower repay the loan then I will give account back to borrower and he can solve this matter with him

If borrower failed to repay then 2 things I can do

1) If WhitePhantom1980 can sign message from old bitcoin address I will give him account after he repay the debt

2) If WhitePhantom1980 can't sign the message then I will put the account on auction he can bid there to get the account.

I don't trust any other proofs but only signed message
Because it is possible account was sold without signed message and previous owner now trying to get is back showing other proofs.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6164

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 06:57:35 AM

It's indeed some confusing shit lol .
According to the Seclog , WhitePhantom changed his password : February 05, 2016, 03:44:31 PM - WhitePhantom - password changed

but there is something that I don't understand , how exactly "WhitePhantom1980" knew that you gave a loan to WhitePhantom if all taht happened in P.M ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 07:02:22 AM

one was inactive for half a year and can only sign an address from 2 weeks ago and the other claims that it was his account yet is unable to sign any message.. both of these users are equally suspicious IMO.

and there's nothing wrong with what you posted on the second post.

@omegastarscream whitephantom posted on OP's thread.
Sarahiko (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 07:04:27 AM

It's indeed some confusing shit lol .
According to the Seclog , WhitePhantom changed his password : February 05, 2016, 03:44:31 PM - WhitePhantom - password changed
This password was changed by me when I secured collateral but there is no other password change recently
thats why I given him loan no password reset/change recently
Sarahiko (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 01:49:31 PM

I started lending service few days ago
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1352856.0

Yesterday I got PM from a user named WhitePhantom that he need loan for 3 days using his account for collateral.I asked him to sign message from bitcoin address posted by him in 2013, he said its old wallet and he lost it but he can sign message from bitcoin address staked last month.After some discussion I agreed to give him 0.05btc loan and he signed message from bitcoin address staked on 20 January.

BUT after few minutes of processing loan a someone created a new account WhitePhantom1980 and claimed that it was his account that got hacked and asked me not to send any money but the loan was already processed.I asked him for signed message but he said he can't sign message.

Now the problem is I am confused if someone is trying to trick me to get the account for 0.05 or account was really hacked.

3 things to notice

1) If account was hacked then why hacker doesn't changed the email and password of the account?
3) How it is possible within few minutes of sending loan someone said it was his account and someone else was using this but why the real owner wasn't aware when potential hacker used the account and staked bitcoin address in January.

I am confused what is going there

The new user isn't able to sign message from any bitcoin address but borrower signed message.
It is possible the old owner sold the account and now trying to get it back.
if the account really got hacked,just say to the real owner you have nothing to do with it and what you need is get back your btc, why did you want to get involved lol, just simple like that, you're doing right by lending btc to him but his problem or whatever is not your problem
looks selfish indeed but this way will make you not get involved to a problem
Account password not changed, he signed message from staked address in january.
How it is possible within few minutes of sending loan someone said it was his account and someone else was using this but why the real owner wasn't aware when potential hacker used the account and staked bitcoin address in January.

I already offered whitephantom19080 if he can sign message I can give him account back after repay the loan amount, But I can't give account to a random person who can't sign message.

But if without signed message I given him account then we may see many request in lending board people claiming for high ranked collateral account in exchange of paying the loan amount.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 01:58:57 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2016, 02:13:01 PM by --Encrypted--

How it is possible within few minutes of sending loan someone said it was his account and someone else was using this but why the real owner wasn't aware when potential hacker used the account and staked bitcoin address in January.

that and they could have reset their password via email like someone did earlier today.

you better change the email if you haven't already.
Sarahiko (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 02:25:29 PM

that and they could have reset their password via email like someone did earlier today.

you better change the email if you haven't already.
thanks for suggestion
I have secured account and changed both email and password before sending him loan.
WhitePhantom1980

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:16:55 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2016, 08:38:20 PM by WhitePhantom1980

1) I assume I would have received an E-Mail notification if the hacker had changed the E-Mail address or password on the account, and he didn't want me to know that he had access to my account.
2) Because he had access to my account and could post as me.
3) I hadn't logged into my account since last July and E-Mail notifications are not sent when a hacker posts a message using my account.  I found out somebody was using my account when I received E-Mail notifications that my account had new private messages from you to the hacker.

one was inactive for half a year and can only sign an address from 2 weeks ago and the other claims that it was his account yet is unable to sign any message.. both of these users are equally suspicious IMO.

and there's nothing wrong with what you posted on the second post.

@omegastarscream whitephantom posted on OP's thread.

The address Sarahiko found in one of my posts from 2013, and wants me to send him a signed message from, is a deposit address for my BTC-e account.

I have provided him with screenshots of my BTC-e transaction history that show my BTC-e account receiving 18 payments, over many months, from an address that I currently control.  All 18 deposit times and amounts match the blockchain transaction record perfectly.

Obviously, I am unable to send a signed message from an address controlled by BTC-e, but I've provided a reasonable explanation of why I have never controlled the address he found in my post from 2013, provided substantial evidence that I do have access to all funds sent to that address (via BTC-e), and I've offered to send him a signed message from the address I used to make 18 deposits to the address BTC-e controls.

Along with this evidence, I offered to pay back his loan amount, including the interest, when the hacker fails to pay, but he says my account will be auctioned unless I send him a signed message from the address that I've demonstrated is controlled by BTC-e.

I don't understand why he has a problem with letting me buy my account back AFTER the hacker fails to pay, especially with the evidence I've provided.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:41:03 PM

You are responsible for this account and your pc/password should be secured to prevent the hacker.

If you want your account returned you will need to settle the loan.

Seems a lot of effort for the hacker for a 0.05BTC loan  Huh

All sounds a little suspicious to me.
WhitePhantom1980

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:43:09 PM

You are responsible for this account and your pc/password should be secured to prevent the hacker.

If you want your account returned you will need to settle the loan.

Right, and I offered to settle the loan, including the interest, after the hacker fails to pay, but Sarahiko says he'll auction my account.  I fail to see how that is reasonable.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:44:40 PM

If you settle the loan in full I dont see why the lender would want to sell the account as his terms have been met.

Unless greed gets the better of him.
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:46:36 PM

I told new account WhitePhantom1980 that if the borrower repay the loan then I will give account back to borrower and he can solve this matter with him

1) If WhitePhantom1980 can sign message from old bitcoin address I will give him account after he repay the debt

2) If WhitePhantom1980 can't sign the message then I will put the account on auction he can bid there to get the account.

Because it is possible account was sold without signed message and previous owner now trying to get is back showing other proofs.

Seems like a good strategy. Probably the borrower want to scam you the collateral, claiming it was hacked.

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
WhitePhantom1980

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:52:39 PM

Seems like a good strategy. Probably the borrower want to scam you the collateral, claiming it was hacked.

If the account was not hacked, and I'm actually the borrower trying to scam the collateral, then why am I offering to repay the loan and interest to get the account back?

Not once did I suggest that the lender should give me the account without me covering the loan.  Even if he had offered to do that, I would insist on paying him back the loan.
Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:54:30 PM

Unless WhitePhantom1980 can verify his integrity via staked address, he is an outsider to your deal. However, do not continue with this trade until further proof comes forward of ownership.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 2346

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 09:42:49 PM

1) I assume I would have received an E-Mail notification if the hacker had changed the E-Mail address or password on the account, and he didn't want me to know that he had access to my account.
You would not receive any kind of email notifications sent by the forum when you change your email nor when you change your password.

3) I hadn't logged into my account since last July and E-Mail notifications are not sent when a hacker posts a message using my account.  I found out somebody was using my account when I received E-Mail notifications that my account had new private messages from you to the hacker.
So let me get this straight, you were willing to access your account after ~a year because someone was randomly PM'ing you, but you were not willing to access your account when theymos emailed you when the forum was hacked?

@OP -- how many PM's did you send this person, and when was the first/last PM that you sent this person? When you accessed the account were all of the PM's you sent this person still in his inbox?

I would say that based on what I have read so far that it is more likely then that that the person who the OP sent the loan to is the same person who created the "WhitePhantom1980" account.

I did find an address posted in 2013 by WhitePhantom that is a btc-e address
WhitePhantom1980

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 10:15:26 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2016, 10:27:53 PM by WhitePhantom1980

So let me get this straight, you were willing to access your account after ~a year because someone was randomly PM'ing you, but you were not willing to access your account when theymos emailed you when the forum was hacked?

I opened the PM message and saw a loan being discussed.  Of course I'm going to look into it if I think somebody is impersonating me to rip somebody off.  Also, I do recall the E-Mail about the forum being hacked, and I thought I had changed my password, but when I looked at the one I had saved in my browser (yes, I need to stop managing passwords that way), it was still the old one, to my dismay.

I would say that based on what I have read so far that it is more likely then that that the person who the OP sent the loan to is the same person who created the "WhitePhantom1980" account.
If I am the same person as the guy who requested the loan, then why wouldn't I just pay it back to get the account?  I am willing to calmly wait until the guy who hacked my account fails to pay back the loan and then I'll pay it back to recover my account.  I suggested that to Sarahiko as soon as I realized he had, in fact, already sent the loan to the hacker.  I have far better things to do with my time than create drama by getting a loan and then making a new account to cause trouble.  Work, wife, toddler, video games, etc.

Lastly, here is some additional evidence I provided to Sarahiko yesterday in a PM to show that the account is mine.

Check this post that I made in 2012.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76916.msg1132960#msg1132960

There's a link to my imgur album at the end of that post:
http://imgur.com/a/Uanjr

I can add a new image to that album.

I have since added a new image to that Imgur album that states, "WhitePhantom1980 is the rightful owner of the WhitePhantom BitcoinTalk account."

All I want is for Sarahiko to wait until the hacker doesn't pay and then sell my account back to me for what the hacker owes him rather than auctioning it off.

Edit: Something that just occurred to me was that the hacker may not have changed my password before handing the account over to Sarahiko.  I just PM'd that password to Sarahiko with the hope that it helps establish that there is no reason not to let me buy it back from him after the loan has not been paid.
Shield

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 02:05:45 PM

hacked account story is getting common nowdays,I have seen few accounts sold and used for collateral being claimed by others

in your case seems like hacker was using the account and he given you signed message (not too long but its proof that account was being used by hacker)
so if whitephantom1980 is real owner of that account then he is responsible for this, why he didn't noticed his account was being used but he popup after he took loan.If account was given for collateral and guy claiming for the account isn't able to sign message then lender have full rights of the account what to do if loan is defaulted.he can't forced to give it to random guy.

few guys saying account should returned if the guy pay him 0.05
there are many accounts defaulted small loans, I can pay their loans if lenders give me these higher accounts.
I think loan's deadline is today so lets see what happens, repay or default
Sarahiko (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 07:29:16 AM

Loan wasn't repaid on time but as I am rightful owner of this account so I am putting it on auction.
It was my first loan so I will be more careful next time lending money to someone.
WhitePhantom1980

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 07:32:18 AM

You're the rightful owner of my account about as much as a person who buys a car from a car thief is the rightful owner of the car (it gets confiscated by the police, btw).  The only difference here is I was offering to make you whole because I'm willing to take responsibility for not having changed my password last year when Bitcointalk had a big data breach.

So where does an auction like this take place?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: