Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:45:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Can I Specify Which Input Addresses? (Coin Control)  (Read 739 times)
sounds (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:20:52 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2013, 10:47:37 PM by sounds

I'm using the official Bitcoin-Qt client (0.7.2) and so far have just been receiving coins.

How can I control the inputs to a transaction? I've read Quantitative Analysis of the Full Bitcoin Transaction Graph (PDF) - I think that means I don't want to just combine all my coins by sending them to one address. An algorithm could safely deduce that all the inputs to the transaction were really just me all along.

I want to get in the habit of being as anonymous as possible. I understand that there's no such thing as perfect anonymity.

The "send coins" view in Bitcoin-Qt is missing an option to pick an input and see what the balance is at that address. I googled to see if anyone had asked a similar question but didn't find one.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 12:34:37 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2013, 12:45:52 PM by flatfly

If you know the right keywords to search for, you can find some stuff... Try googling "coin control" Smiley

If you don't want to waste too much time, the short answer is, this is not supported by the Qt client (as of today).

However, the following clients do support this feature (each with their own way):

Electrum (see the Prioritize context menu in the receive tab)
Armory
Blockchain.info
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 02:23:03 PM

. . .
this is not supported by the Qt client (as of today).

However, the following clients do support this feature (each with their own way):

Armory
Blockchain.info

Or, depending on your skills, I suppose you can create a raw transaction and paste it into the [ Help->Debug window->Console ] in Bitcoin-Qt.
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:07:04 PM

I'm using the official Bitcoin-Qt client (0.7.2) and so far have just been receiving coins.

How can I control the inputs to a transaction? I've read Quantitative Analysis of the Full Bitcoin Transaction Graph (PDF) - I think that means I don't want to just combine all my coins by sending them to one address. An algorithm could safely deduce that all the inputs to the transaction were really just me all along.

I want to get in the habit of being as anonymous as possible. I understand that there's no such thing as perfect anonymity.

The "send coins" view in Bitcoin-Qt is missing an option to pick an input and see what the balance is at that address. I googled to see if anyone had asked a similar question but didn't find one.

Get the Armory client. It's not a reference implementation but no one has ever lost their coins to a programmer error (right guys?). Armory is the only client that can do what you want as far as I know.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:10:10 PM

. . .

Armory
Blockchain.info

Or, depending on your skills, I suppose you can create a raw transaction and paste it into the [ Help->Debug window->Console ] in Bitcoin-Qt.
+1. Use createrawtransaction, signrawtransaction, and pushrawtransaction. A huge hassle though - I learnt this the hard way a couple days ago.  Wink
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 04:45:26 PM

. . .

Armory
Blockchain.info

That's the approach I took with CheapSweep, except that it talks to bitcoind's RPC interface.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
sounds (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:48:55 PM

Ok this is great!

So I've been playing around with Electrum and I like what I see.

I should probably tweak Bitcoin-Qt to add this feature. Would anybody want that? (For a few BTC I'd be sure and do it)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:58:13 PM

I thought that I saw somewhere that someone had already created a custom version of Bitcoin-Qt that had coin-control in it?  For whatever reason the modifications never made it into the version generally recognized as being the "official"version.  I don't remember when/where I saw it so I could be mistaken.
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 11:24:26 PM

I thought that I saw somewhere that someone had already created a custom version of Bitcoin-Qt that had coin-control in it?  For whatever reason the modifications never made it into the version generally recognized as being the "official"version.  I don't remember when/where I saw it so I could be mistaken.
Someone has for a 0.6.x version, but nobody seems to want to support it:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=129288.msg1420252#msg1420252

I've also contacted the dev some time ago, but sadly there's no reply so far:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=24784.0

I baffles me that such a great feature is ignored and instead it's suggested to create raw transactions in the debug console to those who value privacy.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
sounds (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 11:44:46 PM

Baffling, yes.

I think there aren't that many developers with enough free time to do it. I have the free time but since I'm unemployed, I have to focus on survival.

Here's my address if you want me to port it from 0.6.x and fix the remaining bugs: 1GiN4UWo8VZ9PZuJXfMQYbQyP9opGsayYD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: