Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:23:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chuck Schumer and Joe Manchin sending DEA to shut down Silkroad/Bitcoins  (Read 5794 times)
niemivh (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:34:05 PM

I wish them the best of luck.

Let's all keep in mind it's Bitcoin they're afraid of, the SR is just an excuse.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/sns-rt-us-financial-bitcoitre7573t3-20110608,0,6328122.story

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BookofNick

Activity: 315
Merit: 116

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:45:13 PM

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

I don't believe in God, but if I did, it would be the Internet God.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:52:38 PM

Sad

It sure was a quick jump from targeting the drug site to "We need to kill bitcoins!"

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
niemivh (OP)

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:19:38 PM

Sad

It sure was a quick jump from targeting the drug site to "We need to kill bitcoins!"

I'm afraid so my friend.  The SR might even be a setup from a government agency in order to entrap people and of course target bitcoins.  BTC has the power to upset the Feds monopoly on currency issuance.  That is a thing that all central banks of the world are going to be up in arms about.

And the government doesn't care a lick about drugs, that's a bunch of trash.  Our 'gov' has been dealing in narco-terrorist activities for a long while and loves the fact that they're illegal it creates a black market and ungodly profits.

Google:

Iran Contra
Michael Ruppert
CIA Afghanistan Heroin
Crack epidemic around Baltimore/DC

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
hoo2jalu

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:24:47 PM

I wish them the best of luck.

Let's all keep in mind it's Bitcoin they're afraid of, the SR is just an excuse.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/sns-rt-us-financial-bitcoitre7573t3-20110608,0,6328122.story

They send a letter to cry baby to DOJ, DEA ... I am thinking they will be disappoint.

The 'tubes man, always thwarting a good senator's will!
DarkKnightNomeD

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:28:05 PM

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')        to Chuck Schumer and Joe Manchin
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:36:56 PM

I suspect it's going to be a rough couple of weeks for Mark Karpeles. 

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:43:41 PM

The internet is the steam engine.

Bitcoin is the railways.

And Chuck&Joe are the stagecoach lobby calling to crack down on railways because they cause motion sickness.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Bazil

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:48:23 PM

We should check and see what percentage of their campaign donations come, directly or indirectly from banks.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
nuggets4all

Activity: 46

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:58:53 PM

We should check and see what percentage of their campaign donations come, directly or indirectly from banks.

Profile of Chuck Schumer on OpenSecrets.org: http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00001093&cycle=2010

Profile of Joe Manchin: http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00032838&cycle=2010
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 09:02:59 PM

Wow. Look at those falling bitcoin prices though.

Already down almost $10!

I guess the fantastic gains were a bit fragile.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:04:22 PM

Wow. Look at those falling bitcoin prices though.

Already down almost $10!

I guess the fantastic gains were a bit fragile.

Dude, that was mean!  I had to check!

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:08:39 PM

Bitcoin is decentralized you can't shut it down.
They can harass MtGox to hell though or DDOS it into oblivion and screw with the price, since there's no real competitors for MtGox

Everybody create a MtGox clone that accepts and pays out in LR, HDmoney and EuroGoldCash
Durr

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:09:31 PM

I've just sold a portion of my bitcoins at 26$ hoping to rebuy at 18$ 14$ and 10$

Good chance to increase my bitcoins wallet count
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 09:32:03 PM

They can harass MtGox to hell though or DDOS it into oblivion and screw with the price, since there's no real competitors for MtGox

Everybody create a MtGox clone that accepts and pays out in LR, HDmoney and EuroGoldCash

No real competitors to MtGox, eh?

Here ya go: https://www.tradehill.com/

Use this code to get a discount on trading fees: TH-R1168

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 09:39:42 PM

Quick, please opensource the mtgox and silk road server code...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
zer0

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:42:23 PM

No real competitors to MtGox, eh?

Here ya go: https://www.tradehill.com/

Use this code to get a discount on trading fees: TH-R1168

Hosted by Godaddy and reg'd through Godaddy. Domain pull and server seizure imminent by feds.
If the escrow wallet.dat is on jomax.net servers this service is doomed.

Host in Luxembourg. Transfer domain offshore. Use CloudFlare to protect it from the DDOS attacks that will be coming. Then, BALLIN'
hoo2jalu

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:18:48 AM

opensource the mtgox and silk road...

How much is copyleft source worth? I bet it could be made to appear for some reasonable number of coins.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 12:23:15 AM

opensource the mtgox and silk road...

How much is copyleft source worth? I bet it could be made to appear for some reasonable number of coins.

If the price is right, I'm sure the programmers would be happy to release their code, especially considering that their site is underr imminent threat of attack by "the authorities", so now would be an excellent time for them to dump their operation.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:28:14 AM

Host in Luxembourg. Transfer domain offshore. Use CloudFlare to protect it from the DDOS attacks that will be coming. Then, BALLIN'

Why Luxembourg? They are part of the EU. If I were to choose a country more resilient to political pressure I'd go with Switzerland.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: