Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:26:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bitcoin is in the midst of a civil war"  (Read 1224 times)
fuathan (OP)

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

Aleph.im

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 02:14:39 AM

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/9/10946072/bitcoin-core-classic-software-block-size-debate

"Bitcoin developer announced that the cryptocurrency and the technology underlying were, in his opinion, a failed experiment."

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 02:23:05 AM

I'd say the faster we settle this thing, the better off we'll be. We've recovered from battles between two competing Bitcoin chains before, but there's only so many times you can do that before people just get sick of the whole thing.
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2016, 02:50:59 AM

This is so stupid, it really is.

It's a bunch of drama queens.

Bitcoin isn't going to fracture, there is no civil war, any attempt to fork is going to fail.

It doesn't matter even if the classic people are right, they are going about it the wrong way and it will fail, core is where things happen.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
yenxz

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 01:41:28 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/9/10946072/bitcoin-core-classic-software-block-size-debate

"Bitcoin developer announced that the cryptocurrency and the technology underlying were, in his opinion, a failed experiment."

Thoughts?
block size debate just for people who really know bitcoin,expert on it,and they who mine bitcoin,so i think i will not much caring about this,just follow everyone choose,core or classic,it not matter for me Grin
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 02:29:37 PM

I think it is about time this debate ends. I don't think it should be compared to a civil war though, it is not the major community who is rising against the leaders, it is more the leaders fighting eachother.

It does prevent the growth of bitcoin in my opinion, so a decision has to be made, preferably one that does not take into account the side businesses some of them are involved with.
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 02:49:32 PM

This is old news. I think this kind of disagreement is unavoidable and do not consider this as civil war.

I would think it is a unavoidable growing up process through which Bitcoin can only get stronger.
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 03:34:32 PM

Bitcoin have wider community and as we all know there will be lot more debate with more heads and same happening to bitcoin. Community get divided into two groups lately and one wins in this block size issue. There are lots of alts out there which have same algo like bitcoin but can't get adopted like bitcoin so they always try to kill bitcoin network and strengthen their community. Its like politics rather than civil war.  Roll Eyes
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 03:51:33 PM

To reach consensus it means a constant debate, because there is never total consensus. The system works and things are moving in the right direction. These articles are just FUD clickbait from jealous people that own no coins. Focus on getting more BTC and don't waste time reading crap.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 04:01:49 PM

To reach consensus it means a constant debate, because there is never total consensus. The system works and things are moving in the right direction. These articles are just FUD clickbait from jealous people that own no coins. Focus on getting more BTC and don't waste time reading crap.

Absolutely right.Where is no dictator there is no: "Enough talk!That's it how we do it!"
The thing is in companies heating debates almost happen behind closed doors.And when a decision is made it is told to all employees.
But open source projects don't work like that.That's all.
SegWit is coming soon. Also Lightning Network seems to make good progress as Joseph Poon recently said in an interview to bitcoinmagazine. Also the last few weeks there were no big discussions happening.Why? Because devs are busy and working hard 'cause they want to deliver what is promised in core roadmap.
bargainbin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 04:06:50 PM

To reach consensus it means a constant debate, because there is never total consensus. ...

If "there is never total consensus," then you will never "reach consensus." That's just the way life is. Especially when no one even agrees on what "consensus" means Sad
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2016, 06:12:38 PM

If "there is never total consensus," then you will never "reach consensus." That's just the way life is. Especially when no one even agrees on what "consensus" means Sad
You can blame the disruptors for this. Bitcoin was fine before the block size debate and nothing has changed since.

I think it is about time this debate ends.
I don't think that it will end anytime soon.

I don't think it should be compared to a civil war though, it is not the major community who is rising against the leaders, it is more the leaders fighting eachother.
Maybe a restructuration of the ecosystem is due. These 'leaders' should not have this much influence.

It does prevent the growth of bitcoin in my opinion, so a decision has to be made, preferably one that does not take into account the side businesses some of them are involved with.
A decision has been reached, Segwit. The 'forkers' are just causing unneeded trouble at this point (see /r/btc).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bargainbin

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 06:22:10 PM

You can blame the disruptors for this. Bitcoin was fine before the block size debate and nothing has changed since.
Blame? What's with the knee-jerk blaming?
Should I also blame the guy who finds a bug in beta software for "ruining it for everyone"? Because this is exactly what's going on -- Bitcoin, a great social experiment, is in beta (Core's current ver. is 0.12.0). We should *thank* people exposing obvious & fundamental flaws.
If these "disruptors" succeed in disrupting the disruptive technology that is our beetcoin, kudos to them Smiley
Stop this Red vs. Blue silliness.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2016, 06:51:09 PM

Should I also blame the guy who finds a bug in beta software for "ruining it for everyone"? Because this is exactly what's going on -- Bitcoin, a great social experiment, is in beta (Core's current ver. is 0.12.0). We should *thank* people exposing obvious & fundamental flaws.
What flaw are we talking about? The network is operating nicely without any problems. Seems like being hyperbolic and imagining flaws seems to be your thing.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bargainbin

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 07:17:30 PM

What flaw are we talking about? The network is operating nicely without any problems. Seems like being hyperbolic and imagining flaws seems to be your thing.

Hyperbolic?

You don't find it somewhat problematic that a system billed as A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System can't handle the transaction volume generated by a small suburban shopping mall?

You don't consider it a problem that "the next world currency" can't come up with a coherent scaling roadmap which doesn't involve third parties & what amounts to buying gift cards from people you plan to do business with (lightning network)?

You don't find it worrying that our Mechanical Turk is not controlled by "maths and sciences," per billing, but by a couple of midgets, who aren't particularly good at chess & can't even play nice together?

Hyperbolic?

Turns out our self-driving currency has more in common with Thelma & Louise than Mario Andretti, and it don't bother you?

"The network is operating nicely without any problems."
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2016, 07:30:00 PM

You don't find it somewhat problematic that a system billed as A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System can't handle the transaction volume generated by a small suburban shopping mall?
Finding something problematic and saying that it is a fundamental flaw is fundamentally different.

You don't consider it a problem that "the next world currency" can't come up with a coherent scaling roadmap which doesn't involve third parties & what amounts to buying gift cards from people you plan to do business with (lightning network)?
The Lightning Network does not involve third parties nor buying any kind of gift cards.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bargainbin

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 07:58:54 PM

>Finding something problematic and saying that it is a fundamental flaw is fundamentally different.
I'm telling you it's a fundamental flaw which you don't seem to find problematic.

>The Lightning Network does not involve third parties nor buying any kind of gift cards.
Correct, though has little to do with what I said, that being "what amounts to buying gift cards."

Lightning network requires its users to create a payment channel, which must be fully funded for all future use.
Just like a gift card.
Meaning that if you are planning to use Lightning to buy coffee at Starbucks, you must lock away as much BTC as you're planning to use at Starbucks *for the lifetime of the channel*. Before you can buy your overpriced cup of coffee via Lightning, you have to lock away enough BTC for 100 cups, or Lightning is as pointless as buying yourself a "1 cup of coffee" gift card each time you buy a cup of coffee.
Which is pointless.

>does not involve third parties
Technically no.
Just like cashing out your BTC to some speedier coin, transacting in that [speedier coin], and, when you're done with your shopping, buying BTC with the remnants (change) doesn't technically involve third parties.
Though some might suggest you're not technically using BTC, either.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 01:12:01 AM

Isn't segwit supposed to launch this month? Seems like a big move. Classic seems to be kinda static and falling a little right now. I think it's gonna go quiet for a while again.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2016, 05:37:57 AM

I'm telling you it's a fundamental flaw which you don't seem to find problematic.
I'm telling you that it isn't.

Correct, though has little to do with what I said, that being "what amounts to buying gift cards."
It doesn't.

Before you can buy your overpriced cup of coffee via Lightning, you have to lock away enough BTC for 100 cups, or Lightning is as pointless as buying yourself a "1 cup of coffee" gift card each time you buy a cup of coffee.
Which is pointless.
100 cups? See, you're being hyperbolic again. You can just as easily do it for 10.

Though some might suggest you're not technically using BTC, either.
Whoever says that does not understand LN (albeit it is better than those that say that LN is an altcoin).

Isn't segwit supposed to launch this month? Seems like a big move.
The code might get released this month.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
vinaha

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 05:41:47 AM

I can't believe someone resurrected a thread that is as many months old as it had reply posts.

Who cares about the block size issue!
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 05:43:19 AM

This debate shouldn't exist in the first place if the lead devs have looked further than their own egos and thought about what would have been better for the greater good of the whole Bitcoin community and not caring only about their selfish reasons to fuck around for so long. I think it's about time for them to listen to what everyone wants and this thing will be over.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: