Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:53:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] www.terrawallet.com - CLOSED -  (Read 7455 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 07:02:00 AM

Hey, Rabbit, it would be great if I could log in with openid and/or my Google account, like I can on bitparking's terracoin exchange. Smiley

Thats an interesting idea. I've head some people don't like that system and I particularly have had trouble with it myself. What would be the advantage of it?

more or less retired.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 06:52:03 PM

Hey, Rabbit, it would be great if I could log in with openid and/or my Google account, like I can on bitparking's terracoin exchange. Smiley

Thats an interesting idea. I've head some people don't like that system and I particularly have had trouble with it myself. What would be the advantage of it?

In my case it would've helped me ramp up easier.  I wouldn't have to create and remember yet another password.  I don't want to give terrawallet a password I'm using anywhere else, but I don't want to pick something ultra easily guessable.

It might also be useful as an additional second factor for identification, at some point.

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 08:56:24 PM

In my case it would've helped me ramp up easier.  I wouldn't have to create and remember yet another password.  I don't want to give terrawallet a password I'm using anywhere else, but I don't want to pick something ultra easily guessable.

It might also be useful as an additional second factor for identification, at some point.

That is a good point- for the creating "yet another password" I now use Lastpass which has simplified my online life to no end. There is a free tier which will solve all your problems.

I would like to look into Yubi-keys in the future- especially if/when I add bitcoin support. :-)

I spoke with slush the other day and maybe I'd like to incorporate his Trezor as well.

more or less retired.
webosftw

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 12:41:28 AM

Site looks great @crazy_rabbit! Would be awesome if you can add a option where it displays BTC/USD current price to also display TRC current price.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 01:11:06 AM

Advantage would be if you already have google 2fa set up for your google account Smiley
Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2013, 02:13:08 AM

Ran some Terracoins in and out of terrawallet.com today, and I had no problems to speak of.  The site looks slick, and it's nice to see how fast the Terracoin confirmations come in.  There were a couple glitches where the various pages seemed a little confused about what state we were in. I'm sorry I didn't get any notes as to specifics, but if I see them again and they are reproducible I'll report them.  Nothing hampered the main functionality of the site.

maunderingcabal

Activity: 154

Don't dwell in the past, don't dream of the future

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2013, 11:37:14 AM

you should make an option to post your backup wallet address, just in case. I don't feel particularly safe using this for large quantities. Other than that I love your wallet.

You like my post? Buy me a beer for ฿0.01
13KKQYQLmDFaTtcoPDtnt3My1PPUdcc8AL
My website/blog/bitcoin store
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 11:49:15 AM

you should make an option to post your backup wallet address, just in case. I don't feel particularly safe using this for large quantities. Other than that I love your wallet.

Thanks! So nice to hear!  That is a really good idea, I've just been thinking how to develop a system that would know when/how to send coins to users backup wallets. You know? For the moment a cold storage system is being implemented, so that if someone hacks the server, the majority of coins (starting around 90%) are actually off line. That's a big step forward in security I think.

I like the backup wallet- but the question then becomes how does one build an effective "trip-wire" that can sense some intrusion and quickly dump the coins in an emergency? I'd really like suggestions about that one. That said, as I look toward a future of making this at least marginally profitable, it's not profitable to send users their coins directly back- you might lose them as users. Rather if you keep them in cold storage, and once the kinks are worked out come back on line- the users might retain a trust in you that they might have otherwise lost in a moment of panic. Of course- I am not thinking only from a 'profit angle' so I wouldn't do something purely for profit reasons, but I'm trying to cover all angles.

I think there is a greater danger however, if the server is compromised in some way that a hacker might be able to play with the emergency addresses and trip the system themselves, and get the system itself to dump all the coins to the hacker. A cold storage system is much simpler, and has less vectors of attack. Indeed I am considering having an entirely offline pre-generated list of addresses for new users, so coins always go straight to the hotwallet, and we never keep more then a fraction of coins online. Even safer as the service never has a chance to accumulate more the whats in the hot-wallet.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 12:07:47 PM

Site looks great @crazy_rabbit! Would be awesome if you can add a option where it displays BTC/USD current price to also display TRC current price.

Yes, I have been waivering between running terrawallet for BTC or TRC. I think I will do both for the near future, but the new features I want to add (like exchange rate and some other exciting things) require a more developed ecosystem. So for example computing TRC rate at the moment is rather difficult to do as the exchanges are small with small volume. :-( But it's a place holder for testing the Bitcoin version. :-)

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 12:08:40 PM

Ran some Terracoins in and out of terrawallet.com today, and I had no problems to speak of.  The site looks slick, and it's nice to see how fast the Terracoin confirmations come in.  There were a couple glitches where the various pages seemed a little confused about what state we were in. I'm sorry I didn't get any notes as to specifics, but if I see them again and they are reproducible I'll report them.  Nothing hampered the main functionality of the site.

Okay, I look forward to hear about them. Some thing are glitchy I know. Slowly trying to fix them. :-)

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 10:08:25 AM

The wallet will look a little bit wonky for the next couple days while I work with the dev to add new features. I'm preparing a Bitcoin Wallet at the moment so you'll see some crossover stuff for a little while. The wallets will not be multi-currency (at least for now).

more or less retired.
maunderingcabal

Activity: 154

Don't dwell in the past, don't dream of the future

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2013, 12:20:33 PM

Thanks! So nice to hear!  That is a really good idea, I've just been thinking how to develop a system that would know when/how to send coins to users backup wallets. You know? For the moment a cold storage system is being implemented, so that if someone hacks the server, the majority of coins (starting around 90%) are actually off line. That's a big step forward in security I think.

I like the backup wallet- but the question then becomes how does one build an effective "trip-wire" that can sense some intrusion and quickly dump the coins in an emergency? I'd really like suggestions about that one. That said, as I look toward a future of making this at least marginally profitable, it's not profitable to send users their coins directly back- you might lose them as users. Rather if you keep them in cold storage, and once the kinks are worked out come back on line- the users might retain a trust in you that they might have otherwise lost in a moment of panic. Of course- I am not thinking only from a 'profit angle' so I wouldn't do something purely for profit reasons, but I'm trying to cover all angles.

I think there is a greater danger however, if the server is compromised in some way that a hacker might be able to play with the emergency addresses and trip the system themselves, and get the system itself to dump all the coins to the hacker. A cold storage system is much simpler, and has less vectors of attack. Indeed I am considering having an entirely offline pre-generated list of addresses for new users, so coins always go straight to the hotwallet, and we never keep more then a fraction of coins online. Even safer as the service never has a chance to accumulate more the whats in the hot-wallet.

I don't know what is more of a risk, the possibility of losing all of my coins to a server crash or to a hacker. It still just seems like a risk. I think it would be less likely to lose my coins saved on my computer.

You like my post? Buy me a beer for ฿0.01
13KKQYQLmDFaTtcoPDtnt3My1PPUdcc8AL
My website/blog/bitcoin store
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 12:21:46 PM

It's definitely been polarizing. Many people love using OpenID and just as many people have hated the exchanges use of it.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 02:08:55 PM

I don't know what is more of a risk, the possibility of losing all of my coins to a server crash or to a hacker. It still just seems like a risk. I think it would be less likely to lose my coins saved on my computer.

Of course- this is always the issue with instawallets. This is one reason why I'm developing a BTC version of the wallet using TRC, it's the perfect dev currency.

At the same time though- you have to ask yourself, is an instawallet site doing as much as you are with your home computer to protect the coins? I would say that's a tough call. A lot of people are running their wallets on windows machines with pirated software/games/whatnot. Even my instawallet is just a linux distribution with nothing but the daemon and apache running. So who knows- do all users guard their wallets as well as all instawallets guard theirs? Definitely not. At the same time, when you're coins are at home, you can only spend them at home. If we make this a mobile currency, some compromises will have to be made somewhere.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 02:09:50 PM

It's definitely been polarizing. Many people love using OpenID and just as many people have hated the exchanges use of it.

I think it's because OpenID doesn't seem to have once central, and easy to understand site that explains it. Everytime I use it I feel like there is no obvious source of answers for my questions and I'm redirected endlessly. That said, it's in the back of my mind.

more or less retired.
webosftw

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 05:35:19 PM

would  it be possible to the stats and your balance refresh every 30 seconds or so? Because I have to click refresh to see if it sent + got any confirmations. It would be a cool little thing to add.
Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2013, 07:57:03 PM

So for example computing TRC rate at the moment is rather difficult to do as the exchanges are small with small volume. :-(

Volume weighted 24 hours across both currently active exchanges would at least give a ballpark figure.

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 10:24:39 PM

would  it be possible to the stats and your balance refresh every 30 seconds or so? Because I have to click refresh to see if it sent + got any confirmations. It would be a cool little thing to add.

I'll have this added back in. :-) Although at this point I don't think 30 seconds is necessary, exchange support is rather low at the moment so it doesn't move that fast. 

more or less retired.
webosftw

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 01:26:56 AM

also when you click receive it displays a wrong address. It caps all letters.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 07:04:38 AM

also when you click receive it displays a wrong address. It caps all letters.

GOOD CATCH! Totally missed that, you're 100% right! Thank you! Sending you some coins for that major oversight! :-)

more or less retired.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: