Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:21:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Doesn't the fact that this thing was created by someone who can't be ....  (Read 1354 times)
ragmondo (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 09:56:47 PM

.... identified bother anybody?

Please don't judge me as a naysayer. In fact the more I read about the bitcoin phenomenon the more I am hooked.. If only I didn't have such large outgoings right now !!

But the biggest thing that sticks in my mind is the fact that Satoshi - the genius that he is - hasn't been truly identified or congratulated for his work so far.

Now obviously we can't compare this to fiats, but every other technical and crypto invention out there can be traced back (although sometimes with a bit of founder-discrepancy) to the inventor .. apart from this.

Any comments ?
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 11:05:12 PM

Doesn't matter who invented it all that matters is that it works.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:19:13 PM

I would be nice if we knew that for instance that a heavy weight like Richard Stallman was behind this, but it is not important. the Idea behind and the transparancy in the code is enough assurance. Bitcoin is backed by the people and can not be taken, not even by it's creator.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:36:56 PM

Even before I knew who he is, I appreciated his work. Not trying to kiss ass, but he's made a wonderful product which I believe to be beneficial to the free market and jump started other crypto-currencies. Does this bother me? No. What bothers me are celebrity magazines, television with 500 channels, and some guy's name on my underwear.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3653
Merit: 1448

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:38:37 PM

1+1=2
Why should i bother what genius came to that conclusion first?
He/she was right and we all know that, that's all that matters.
Tessellated

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 12:41:12 AM

You can accomplish amazing things without revealing your identity, it does not diminish the accomplishment.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 12:54:31 AM

There's something noble about sharing what your hard work creates without want for fame.

ragmondo (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 01:05:13 AM

Great replies so far. ..... just checking -  not a gram of suspicion from anybody ? 
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 01:08:02 AM

.... identified bother anybody?

Please don't judge me as a naysayer. In fact the more I read about the bitcoin phenomenon the more I am hooked.. If only I didn't have such large outgoings right now !!

But the biggest thing that sticks in my mind is the fact that Satoshi - the genius that he is - hasn't been truly identified or congratulated for his work so far.

Now obviously we can't compare this to fiats, but every other technical and crypto invention out there can be traced back (although sometimes with a bit of founder-discrepancy) to the inventor .. apart from this.

Any comments ?
If Satoshi had revealed he's identity he would have become a public figure and possibly a political target for the rest of he's life, generally something that the sort of person who develops software would propably be keen on avoiding. I can completeley understand why he/she/they remain anonymous and it does not bother me, the sourcecode has been read by thousands of capable persons and no back door exists.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 03:27:40 AM

Great replies so far. ..... just checking -  not a gram of suspicion from anybody ? 
If Bitcoin were a closed system, I would be suspicious. It's open source and anyone suspecting anything can review the code to their satisfaction.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 04:40:36 AM

If Bitcoin were a closed system, I would be suspicious. It's open source and anyone suspecting anything can review the code to their satisfaction.
And while Satoshi created the white paper and basically how it works, many developers have contributed to Bitcoin. That's the nature of open source development Smiley
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 05:10:57 AM

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the man. It might speed adoption that he can't be smeared as a kitten rapist but that's only because of mood affiliation fallacy or something like that.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 05:39:24 AM

All I know is that Satoshi is comfortably wealthy now.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:01:57 AM

Suspicion of what?  I've read the code.  I'm not sure what you are thinking there is to be suspicious of.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:19:25 AM

Great replies so far. ..... just checking -  not a gram of suspicion from anybody ?  

Suspicion of what? (I know, DannyHamilton beat me to it.)  The paper is there for you to read, and so is the code. Not just to read, but to build upon, improve it, ruin it, ignore it, use it. Lots of people have contributed to Bitcoin, before and after "Satoshi".

Let me ask you this: what would change regarding your and my use of Bitcoin if it turned out that "Satoshi" was a CS university professor? Or that he was a she? Or a shemale? Or a group of quants? Or employees of the Chinese government? Or former employees of the Chinese or Romanian or Irish Central Bank? Or a retired cryptanalyst and his 30-year old wife, who works for the Federal Reserve?  

Does any of this change anything in the source code and in various implementations the community is working on?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:47:43 AM

Let me ask you this: what would change regarding your and my use of Bitcoin if it turned out that "Satoshi" was a CS university professor? Or that he was a she? Or a shemale? Or a group of quants? Or employees of the Chinese government? Or former employees of the Chinese or Romanian or Irish Central Bank? Or a retired cryptanalyst and his 30-year old wife, who works for the Federal Reserve?  

Or (since you missed the most obvious which I've already proposed) a Frankenstein's monster of Hitler and Stalin.

You guys are crazy.

It was Ben Bernanke.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Johnathan

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:53:22 AM

The paper is there for you to read, and so is the code. Not just to read, but to build upon, improve it, ruin it, ignore it, use it. Lots of people have contributed to Bitcoin, before and after "Satoshi".

Does any of this change anything in the source code and in various implementations the community is working on?

Indeed, sometimes it seems that the Bitcoin protocol must have been developed over many years by many smart people, then sent back into an alternate past (ours) as a fully-formed gift for us to benefit from.  Whoever it was, thanks Smiley
sounds

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 09:47:29 AM

I took the pictures of Hitler and Stalin and tried to come up with a Frankenstein's monster combination of the two. I've put the originals in the background for comparison, what do you think?

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 10:10:59 AM

I took the pictures of Hitler and Stalin and tried to come up with a Frankenstein's monster combination of the two. I've put the originals in the background for comparison, what do you think?

That you have a bad taste of humor!
ragmondo (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 10:12:46 AM

ok - so perhaps the avoidance of being  political target was incredible foresight on his behalf - after all if you could predict that the most written about early adopters (note I did not say the most use - but just what the press focus on) of this currency is silk road, gambling in the US etc etc - then wouldn't any govt. love it if they could also drag up an email or two from the past where the founder of this "criminal enabling" currency also once attended a "99% rally". Cue daily mail rant ...

Please note that I am using quotes as this is exactly what the anti-bitcoin press would love to be able to print.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: