Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:53:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ShadowCash is mathematically broken. I urge all SDC supporters to join Monero.  (Read 7960 times)
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 06:02:15 PM

User 'shnoe' has found a game breaking bug in Shadowcash's mathematical implementation.

https://shnoe.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/de-anonymizing-shadowcash-and-oz-coin/  

The good news is that our Monero team has met with supporters and developers of ShadowCash in the past, and though they are mistaken about which next-gen currency to support, they are real people who are genuinely trying to build something great. (Let's overlook the dramatically short POW micro-period that turned into POS).  

So again I urge:  all devs, artists, and supporters of ShadowCash need to stop with thier flawed implementation and join us in a proper Cryptonote implementation: Monero.  You are welcomed with open arms, and because it is still ultra-early you are participating in the genesis of this movement along with everyone else.  

We all have different skills and talents, even if all you bring to the table is raw financial speculation.  

Monero is not going to be some small darknet cryptocurrency: it's going to become one of the global standards for value and may soar to absurd values each... With your help.  We aren't in the Anarchist's Cookbook anymore ladies and gentlemen; this is going to be the first global private decentralized financial network.  

And this is your invitation.  It won't ever get any more crystal clear than this.  

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 06:26:12 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2016, 08:42:31 PM by TPTB_need_war

I confirm the alleged flaw revolves around the implementation of Hp from §4.2.1. Elliptic curve parameters on page 5, which is further described in  Notes on the hash function Hp on page 17 of the Cryptonote whitepaper.

I have no comment on the other points asserted in the OP.

SativaL.

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 08:35:17 PM

wait give me 1 min i will set up an blog hosted on wordpress and post some random bullshit with formulars and some pdfs and then tell you that monero is broken..

totaly credible  Roll Eyes

I urge all SDC supporters to join Monero.
made my day  Cheesy
bangomatic
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

ARK Team likes to ban and delete posts in reddit.

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 08:38:51 PM

User 'shnoe' has found a game breaking bug in Shadowcash's mathematical implementation.

The good news is that our Monero team has met with supporters and developers of ShadowCash in the past, and though they are mistaken about which next-gen currency to support, they are real people who are genuinely trying to build something great. (Let's overlook the dramatically short POW micro-period that turned into POS).  

So again I urge:  all devs, artists, and supporters of ShadowCash need to stop with thier flawed implementation and join us in a proper Cryptonote implementation: Monero.  You are welcomed with open arms, and because it is still ultra-early you are participating in the genesis of this movement along with everyone else.  

We all have different skills and talents, even if all you bring to the table is raw financial speculation.  

Monero is not going to be some small darknet cryptocurrency: it's going to become one of the global standards for value and may soar to absurd values each... With your help.  We aren't in the Anarchist's Cookbook anymore ladies and gentlemen; this is going to be the first global private decentralized financial network.  

And this is your invitation.  It won't ever get any more crystal clear than this.  

Why not join AEON instead??  Smiley

Seriously, I think it's a bit pre-mature to call Shadow's "game" broken.  I mean no one has even offered up proof of deanonymization.
SativaL.

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 08:42:13 PM

Or NXT or Dash.. or Blockstream or fuuuuck this troll shit  Grin im out.. have fun trolling.. karma pays back

systh

Activity: 390
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 08:45:13 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2016, 08:50:09 AM by systh

[..]  

[..]

Gotta love this. I really need to ask: Are you serious? :]

Thanks for the offer man. However I don't really see a reason in quitting a project after one bump along the way (if, that is; proof would be nice) – where would we be then?

I doubt you give up things that easily, right?

SNOVio – Decentralized Lead Generation  |   Telegram  |   Facebook
erok

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 09:00:14 PM

Why not join AEON instead??  Smiley

Seriously, I think it's a bit pre-mature to call Shadow's "game" broken.  I mean no one has even offered up proof of deanonymization.
That's because they don't have it and are getting desperate.

"the destruction of privacy widens the existing power imbalance between the ruling factions and everyone else" -- Julian Assange
Gillette

Activity: 744

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 09:04:14 PM

americanpegasus

Unless you provide substantial proofs that SDC is broken your claims are not valid at all.

Even if we assume SDC is broken let`s wait till the issue is solved.

And finally why to join XMR`s fudster and spammer community (led by the well known spammer smooth) when we have a friendly boolberry community?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 11:17:22 PM

The evidence has been posted https://shnoe.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/de-anonymizing-shadowcash-and-oz-coin/ and a ShadowCash bounty has been applied for by the author. It is now up to the ShadowCash project to respond, particularly with respect to the bounty. ShadowCash is down on the news. https://poloniex.com/exchange#btc_sdc

I must say that this is the kind of thing that could prove fatal to a crypto currency. Those involved with ShadowCash will of course have to take the action they deem appropriate. 

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 11:41:03 PM

The evidence has been posted https://shnoe.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/de-anonymizing-shadowcash-and-oz-coin/ and a ShadowCash bounty has been applied for by the author. It is now up to the ShadowCash project to respond, particularly with respect to the bounty. ShadowCash is down on the news. https://poloniex.com/exchange#btc_sdc

I must say that this is the kind of thing that could prove fatal to a crypto currency. Those involved with ShadowCash will of course have to take the action they deem appropriate. 

is pretty damn substantive.

SDC is a dead coin anyway.  Down 25% on 12 BTC volume, because the crypto is broken.

lol rekt

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
morantis

Activity: 868
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 11:43:01 PM

Let me get this straight.  A flaw in a totally unrelated coin is your proposed motivation for people to jump on your coins bandwagon?  Is that about the gist of where the OP is going?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 12:08:55 AM

Let me get this straight.  A flaw in a totally unrelated coin is your proposed motivation for people to jump on your coins bandwagon?  Is that about the gist of where the OP is going?

The math genius guy who broke SDC is making cool new crypto-magic for Monero.

If SDC honors its promise to pay bug bounties, Shen (besides having the option to buy XMR with his reward) will have more free time to implement multi-sig and RingCT for Monero.   Cool

Did you get that straight yet?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
morantis

Activity: 868
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 04:30:33 AM

The math genius guy who broke SDC is making cool new crypto-magic for Monero.

If SDC honors its promise to pay bug bounties, Shen (besides having the option to buy XMR with his reward) will have more free time to implement multi-sig and RingCT for Monero.   Cool

Did you get that straight yet?

It's just more games being played between one coin and the next.  Rather than build a system that works.
rustynailer

Activity: 725
Merit: 501

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 05:11:27 AM

Join Monero.... 

The most toxic, scamming, shilling, shitty community in the whole altcoin scene.

No thanks.
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 09:29:41 AM

Join Monero.... 

The most toxic, scamming, shilling, shitty community in the whole altcoin scene.

No thanks.

Monero is the strongest and most honest cryptocurrency out there.  Because what it's doing is so great, its supporters usually don't appreciate it when people fill the cryptocurrency scene up with scams and bad math. 

There is such a galactic amount of money to be made in an honest next-gen blockchain, it boggles the mind why people waste their time with shallow cons. 

Open source, honest launch, and growing positive community.  But hey, if you just hate Monero irrationally and refuse to ever side with it - Aeon and Boolberry are both legitimate competitors to it.  All three form a promising Cryptonote triangle. 

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
systh

Activity: 390

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:02:05 AM

Monero is the strongest and most honest cryptocurrency out there.

Care to elaborate where you've discovered this? Is that a fact just because you said it?

Because [XMR] what it's doing is so great, its supporters usually don't appreciate it when people fill the cryptocurrency scene up with scams and bad math.

So why exactly do you want SDC supporters to join XMR? I have a trouble following your logic – do you want those "scams and bad math" in Monero?
I guess you realize that by this insulting you're not gonna reach your goal at all, right?
When XMR is so great, why you want us? Why you bother with this? After all, we're just "shallow scammers" Wink

But hey, if you just hate Monero irrationally and refuse to ever side with it - Aeon and Boolberry are both legitimate competitors to it.  All three form a promising Cryptonote triangle. 

There's a reason why Shadow chose Bitcoin base. There's already a lot of Cryptonote coins (not that the situation would be different on BTC base..), but I see our BTC-base as an advantage.

In short: I fail to understand what's your point. Insulting SDC community (by your "scams and bad math" and my fav "even if all you bring to the table is raw financial speculation" accusations) or trying to bring all those baaaad people aboard to Monero? Either one doesn't make sense to me.

SNOVio – Decentralized Lead Generation  |   Telegram  |   Facebook
JosNekoKopa

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 01:28:37 PM

And yet another topic where we can see more rubbish and dirty talk about SDC and MONERO.
People do you really think you will succeed something if you attack each other?
Please stop with these madness!
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 01:49:43 PM

I dont think sdc guys are fit for Monero, they wouldnt have chosen a shit project in the first place.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 02:58:57 PM

Personally, I think it's strange AP would try and convert SDC people over to XMR. People have brand loyalty and that's not something that can be glossed over with a few words and a welcome mat.  The majority of SDC pundits are smart and well-versed in what makes for a good privacy coin, so they'll most likely make informed decisions based on the pertinent information, not by pleas or words of discouragement.

As for the cryptography being broken, or faulty, here is the relevant conversation.

https://github.com/shadowproject/shadow/issues/25#issuecomment-182987660

Wheatclove

Activity: 606

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 03:01:55 PM

Nobody has been able to use the aforementioned "faulty code" to deanonymize an actual transaction.

Don't hold your breath.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: