Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:05:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit co-founder Aaron Swartz commits suicide  (Read 3447 times)
lebing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 09:39:06 PM

https://rt.com/news/aaron-swartz-suicide-reddit-858/

Cry

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 09:44:29 PM

After reading this last a few minutes ago, I wondered if this guy was on SSRI meds or something.  There ought to be better ways to get people that bottle up their emotions to seek help.

A swallow your pride pill so to speak.

I mean, how troubled was the guy that his only way out was a premature death, he should have been rich,m reddit.com sold for a lot of money if I remember correctly.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 11:13:25 PM

After reading this last a few minutes ago, I wondered if this guy was on SSRI meds or something.  There ought to be better ways to get people that bottle up their emotions to seek help.

A swallow your pride pill so to speak.

I mean, how troubled was the guy that his only way out was a premature death, he should have been rich,m reddit.com sold for a lot of money if I remember correctly.

He was looking at 35 years in a federal prison. SSRIs aren't going to make anyone believe that's something to look forward to.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Third Way

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 11:20:41 PM

What exactly was he looking at 35 years in prison for? Wasn't what he did legal?

repentance

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 11:24:13 PM

What exactly was he looking at 35 years in prison for? Wasn't what he did legal?

For this.  Trial was due to start next month.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/reddit-co-founder-charged-with-data-theft/

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 12:02:25 AM

Aaron Swartz memorial JSTOR torrent going up in 3,2,1...

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Third Way

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 12:06:38 AM

>In 2009 Mr. Swartz downloaded 19 million pages of federal court documents from a government database system, acting on the belief that they should be made available free.

Oh wow, I remember this now. What a dumbass.

You don't enter a server room where you know damn well you're not supposed to be in because "everything should be free,man ".

Yes, of course, if it where government documents. But not when it's privately funded research. Sometime it IS in the public's best interest to not know.

That's why not every country has the same technological advances.

Even to the point where Irrigation techniques themselves are industry/government secrets.

repentance

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 12:26:14 AM

There are some very poignant posts from people who knew Aaron Swartz on MetaFilter.

http://www.metafilter.com/123777/Open-access-open-internet-closed-book

vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 12:27:09 AM

>In 2009 Mr. Swartz downloaded 19 million pages of federal court documents from a government database system, acting on the belief that they should be made available free.

Oh wow, I remember this now. What a dumbass.

You don't enter a server room where you know damn well you're not supposed to be in because "everything should be free,man ".

Yes, of course, if it where government documents. But not when it's privately funded research. Sometime it IS in the public's best interest to not know.

That's why not every country has the same technological advances.

Even to the point where Irrigation techniques themselves are industry/government secrets.

I believe the charges would be dropped, there was something else going on with Swartz.
repentance

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 12:30:36 AM

I believe the charges would be dropped, there was something else going on with Swartz.

His struggle with depression was well documented - he blogged about it.

I'm curious why you believe that the charges would have been dropped so close to trial, though.

vampire

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 12:36:27 AM

His struggle with depression was well documented - he blogged about it.

I'm curious why you believe that the charges would have been dropped so close to trial, though.

There was a recent decision by 9th circle, that breaking ToS or "Acceptable Use" isn't criminal. Same page mentions:

“It is by no means clear that Swartz has actually violated the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Recently, the Fourth Circuit joined the Ninth Circuit in alleging that violating the terms of service does not constitute a crime under the CFAA. In contrast, the Fifth, Seventh and Eleventh Circuits have held that it can be a crime. Swartz' case is in the First Circuit. This is the classic sort of Circuit Split that prompts Supreme Court review,” Kennerly said on his blog.

Also the website in question didn't want to press charges.

edit: I "never" was depressed. Its quiet said that very talented people take their own lives. I think I am hardwired not to be depressed, just figure out a way not to be depressed. Hitting gym, biking 100 miles a day help a lot to stay focused.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 12:44:41 AM

JSTOR themselves declined to pursue charges against Swartz, and urged the FBI not to prosecute.  The FBI took an extremely vindictive approach to the case and wanted to destroy Swartz utterly, whether or not there was a victim harmed.

In fact, just three days ago, JSTOR did almost exactly what Swartz had wanted in the first place, and made vast amounts of its journal articles available for free to the public.

The Register & Read Program is their rollout of this idea.  It's not exactly what Swartz wanted, but it's certainly a good move and will make many more people aware of a lot of information that is out there. 

Especially in light of this, it was absolutely insane for the FBI to go after this so aggressively while real crimes go unpunished.  Yes, Swartz shouldn't have done this, and it broke the law.  But it was not 35 years in prison shit.  That was insane.  In light of the fact the "victim" basically asked them to drop it, it was overkill prosecution.  Whoever spent years and maybe millions of tax dollars prosecuting this bullshit should be out of a job.

Among Swartz's other accomplishments (including co-authoring RSS when he was 14) is RECAP, a program for people with access to the PACER archive of federal court documents, which if you have it installed, automatically uploads anything you download to the public archive, to make it freely available.
Third Way

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 01:23:47 AM

it was absolutely insane for the FBI to go after this so aggressively while real crimes go unpunished.  Yes, Swartz shouldn't have done this, and it broke the law.  But it was not 35 years in prison shit.  That was insane.  In light of the fact the "victim" basically asked them to drop it, it was overkill prosecution.  Whoever spent years and maybe millions of tax dollars prosecuting this bullshit should be out of a job.

Symptoms of a sick, degenerate and out of control bureaucratic government.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 02:01:27 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2013, 03:00:33 PM by cbeast

I recall back when a family member of mine had to appeal to a state supreme court over someone copying business information off a hard drive with the intent to profit of of the information. It wasn't even considered a crime back then.

I think Schwartz did the right thing in getting the files, but should only have secured them and not released them. Too many corporations and government agencies are shredding and erasing any documents that may be embarrassing. I would like to see these files stored in encrypted and decentralized storage with multi-signature and time-locked keys by anyone with access to them with suspicions about their chain of custody. Even better, would be to have all government documents signed publicly, stored encrypted and decentralized with custody balanced by separation of powers as intended by the US Constitution. No more of these secret email accounts and files.

edit: As the story unfolds, it seems that Schwartz did nothing illegal. This is a tragedy caused by bureaucratic opportunists profiting from abuse of power.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 02:07:21 AM

The sad thing is I've seen articles where murderers and rapists get threatened with less jail time than that.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 02:12:12 AM

The sad thing is I've seen articles where murderers and rapists get threatened with less jail time than that.

That might have had something to do with his unfortunate decision, do you think?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Bombolo

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 12:11:02 PM

that's how he got caught
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2261840/Surveillance-shot-ruined-tragic-Reddit-founder-Aaron-Swartzs-life-Moment-caught-breaking-MIT-archive-sting-left-facing-30-years-jail.html

seriously dude, when i steal stuff i prefer ski mask to goofy helmet
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 12:55:22 PM

Amazingly enough, this might actually be true.

Rob E

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 01:13:53 PM

So what was he actually stealing ( in detail ). I read it was " sensitive journals " What the fk does that mean . Was it " national security" where thousands set to die if released? Wt fuck was the punishment so harsh? Wt fuck did he do?
vampire

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 01:15:31 PM

So what was he actually stealing ( in detail ). I read it was " sensitive journals " What the fk does that mean . Was it " national security" where thousands set to die if released? Wt fuck was the punishment so harsh? Wt fuck did he do?

Some journals that were published by a government website, that just made these journals available online to public. JSTOR (the gov website) told the investigators to drop charges.. but they didn't.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: