Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:58:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking a mail assistant to enforce PGP  (Read 324 times)
Krona Rev (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 07:56:03 AM

I'd like all emails sent to me to be PGP encrypted. Asking people to PGP encrypt emails seems to have no effect. One idea I had was to set up a mail server so that unencrypted mails bounce back to the sender and only encrypted mails filter through to me. My attempts to set this up were unsuccessful. So now I'm thinking of a simple manual version. Here's the idea:

I need a "mail assistant." There will be an email account that both the mail assistant and I have access to. The mail assistant should log in once a day to check for mail. For each unencrypted mail, the mail assistant should send a canned reply (I'll supply the text) indicating that only PGP encrypted messages filter through to me. For each encrypted mail, the mail assistant should forward it to me. I suppose if a mail is only partially encrypted, it should be forwarded to me with the unencrypted parts removed. I could use my access to the email account to occasionally audit and make sure that the mail assistant is doing what I expect.

This seems like something that would only take a few minutes once a day. (Someone with the proper skills might be able to automate it.) I'd be willing to pay $5/week in btc for a mail assistant to do this for me. It makes sense to do this on a weekly basis in case one of us decides to "cancel" at some point. PM me if you're interested, especially if you're willing to do it for less.

Promechard: Proprietary Metablock Chains for Arbitrary Data: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=411974.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 09:33:25 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2016, 09:44:00 AM by ~Bitcoin~

I think i can do this job, hope to get further detail and amount i will be paid. Payment rate is also enough for me to check mail once a day.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 08:20:19 PM

So you were unable to set up message filters like:
if body begins with -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- and ends with -----END PGP MESSAGE----- - keep on server or forward to blah@blah.com
if body doesn't begin with -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- and ends with -----END PGP MESSAGE----- - bounce with message sorry blah blah blah, then delete from server

?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
ecwebservices

Activity: 125

Web Development Co. For Digital Currency

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 09:04:54 PM

I'd like all emails sent to me to be PGP encrypted. Asking people to PGP encrypt emails seems to have no effect. One idea I had was to set up a mail server so that unencrypted mails bounce back to the sender and only encrypted mails filter through to me. My attempts to set this up were unsuccessful. So now I'm thinking of a simple manual version. Here's the idea:

I need a "mail assistant." There will be an email account that both the mail assistant and I have access to. The mail assistant should log in once a day to check for mail. For each unencrypted mail, the mail assistant should send a canned reply (I'll supply the text) indicating that only PGP encrypted messages filter through to me. For each encrypted mail, the mail assistant should forward it to me. I suppose if a mail is only partially encrypted, it should be forwarded to me with the unencrypted parts removed. I could use my access to the email account to occasionally audit and make sure that the mail assistant is doing what I expect.

This seems like something that would only take a few minutes once a day. (Someone with the proper skills might be able to automate it.) I'd be willing to pay $5/week in btc for a mail assistant to do this for me. It makes sense to do this on a weekly basis in case one of us decides to "cancel" at some point. PM me if you're interested, especially if you're willing to do it for less.

Will send PM.

Krona Rev (OP)

Activity: 129

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 08:30:39 AM

So you were unable to set up message filters like:
if body begins with -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- and ends with -----END PGP MESSAGE----- - keep on server or forward to blah@blah.com
if body doesn't begin with -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- and ends with -----END PGP MESSAGE----- - bounce with message sorry blah blah blah, then delete from server

?

What I tried to do was have a "pipe" filter in exim that would call gpg on the body to check if it is a pgp encrypted message to my public key. I could never get a pipe filter to work at all.

I never tried to make a simpler filter to check if the beginning/end of the message has the form you suggest. I don't know how to do that either, but I have a strong feeling if I did most of my emails would look like

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Unencrypted content
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

Out of curiousity though, how would you implement the kind of filter you're suggesting?

Promechard: Proprietary Metablock Chains for Arbitrary Data: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=411974.0
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 08:44:05 AM

No clue, I'm not a supa hacka like Daru.

But I see in http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/filter_ch-exim_filter_files.html

A complete list of the available variables is given in the Exim documentation. This shortened list contains the ones that are most likely to be useful in personal filter files:

$message_body: The initial portion of the body of the message. By default, up to 500 characters are read into this variable, but the system administrator can configure this to some other value. Newlines in the body are converted into single spaces.

$message_body_end: The final portion of the body of the message, formatted and limited in the same way as $message_body.

So I would assume you'd put the begin and end PGP message as those variables for delivery, non-presence for bounce, or just bounce everything by default with those variables as the only exceptions. I wouldn't guess many people would figure out to put those at the beginning and end of every unencrypted message unless you tipped them off in your bounce message or elsewhere, that your filter is looking for them.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: