Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:11:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does electrum take an hour to make a transaction???  (Read 575 times)
jaystone777 (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 01:48:50 AM

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. I use Electrum and Blockchain as my 2 primary wallets. Electrum often takes an hour or more to complete a transaction and sometimes it says payment sent but the payment was never actually sent and takes days to return to the wallet. Blockchain, on the other hand, is instantaneous and when it says the payment is sent it immediately shows up in my bitcoin exchange account and I can cash it out to my bank account within a few minutes. Why is there such a huge difference between Electrum and Blockchain?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 03:42:58 AM

Both of your issues are most likely related.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the electrum wallet that you are spending from has an xpubkey with a very large number of transactions, and likely has a very large number of unspent inputs. When you create a transaction with electrum, it will need to (among other things), sign each input, and when it needs to sign thousands of inputs, this will take a lot of time. I believe it also needs to review (?) all of the unspent outputs to see what combination of unspent outputs would be most efficient.

What you are describing blockchain.info doing is not actually something that is possible with the bitcoin protocol. I would say that you most likely have a (nearly?) $10,000 unspent output contained in your wallet when you sent $10,000 to your exchange deposit address (you might have also send some of the penny transactions as well). It is not actually possible for a wallet to change the size of individual inputs without some intermediary transaction (and AFAIK, blockchain.info does not create any kind of intermediary transaction to consolidate inputs)
jaystone777 (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 04:09:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still learning here, but I do know that blockchain sends it immediately to my exchange wallet. They seem to charge more but the transaction is fluid and flawless. I really like the fact that Electrum is kept on a bunch of servers all around the world and also a copy on my mainframe. That makes me feel better about things like EMP attacks and server failures. I do receive a lot of small donations which may result in the problem that I'm having. Thanks again for cluing me in.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: