Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:53:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone install Win7 to a USB drive on their rig?  (Read 3753 times)
snoopytime (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:50:24 PM

If so, any quik details you can chime in with? Also, what size USB? 8gig or so?

Thxx!
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
r00t$

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 02:03:44 AM

You don't need anything bigger than 8GB, just make sure it's a decent flash drive and not a cheap-o.

Use Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/ to make a bootable USB, and a good ISO of Windows 7. That's it!
redtwitz

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 02:17:41 AM

You don't need anything bigger than 8GB, just make sure it's a decent flash drive and not a cheap-o.

Use Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/ to make a bootable USB, and a good ISO of Windows 7. That's it!

That's for installing Windows 7 from a flash drive.

If so, any quik details you can chime in with?

Installing Windows 7 on a flash drive (or even an external HDD) is not straightforward for a rather simple reason: Microsoft doesn't want you to. Can Windows 7 boot from an external USB or FireWire drive? gives a little bit of information on the topic.

Also, what size USB? 8gig or so?

The minimum disk space for 32-bit Windows 7 is 16 GiB. It's 20 GiB for 64-bit.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:19:43 AM

Funny you should ask. The last 48 hours, I've been working on building a Win 8 PE disk. I have it on an old 1GB USB drive, and everything fits, but I'm still adding stuff so it could end up being larger. Once it's all nice and stable, I'll release the img with instructions on how to use it for yourself. Consider it a Windows version of BAMT, or an x86 Windows version of MinePEON - you plug it in, 5 min later you're mining.

What's working:
Wired NIC drivers are included with Win8.
Bundled Wifi drivers (3rd parth and Windows default).
Installed AMD 12.8 drivers/SDK.
CGMiner and BFGMiner both work with GPU mining (BTC works, haven't tried LTC, tho it should work).
MSI AB can downclock GPU memory, and undervolt.
GPU-z can read all GPU sensors, including verifying undervolt.
FTDI drivers install, and BFGMiner can mine on my BFL FPGA Single.

What's not working:
CGMiner cannot be used to mine on any USB devices (FPGAs or ASICs), as Zadig causes the OS to BSOD when it tries to install a driver (such as WinUSB). Using Zadig to export the driver and manually installing it doesn't work either, as "Windows\System32\drivers" is missing winusb.sys. I'm going to have to copy them from a Win8x86 machine, which I don't have, so if anyone is using 32-bit Win8 and wants to help out on that front, feel free to send me a PM. Wink
Getting Miner.php to work is still a work in progress. That's low on the priority list, tho.
A lot of the things that work require a manual setup every time you boot from the disk. I'd like to work on packing it a bit more nicely.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Oldie

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:04:09 PM

Would love to get a copy of the WinPE image crazy, keeping hard drives in mining rigs is a PIA, and Linux and I do not mix...
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:28:48 PM

You can install from a flash drive, but not run windows on it, from my research and experience. Ubuntu can run off a flash drive.
bitbryan

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:04:28 PM

STAP ET!  Angry use a harddrive and boot windows normally! use a ssd if you concerned about power consumption lol

"Life is a waterfall, we drink from the river then turn around and put up our walls"
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 10:12:38 PM

"Windows to go" can be installed on a (good) usb device

Microsoft releases this since windows 8
Although it can be hacked onto a 16GB drive with some effort, Windows To Go is an Win8 Enterprise only feature, requires a certified W2G USB Drive at least 32GB (which all start at $70), and requires a MS account for you to sync with. Read: Expensive, and proprietary.

Win PE 4.0 is available for anyone, fits on any USB drive 1GB or larger, and is completely free. See the advantages?

lbr

Activity: 423
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 10:21:04 PM

Also there is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinBuilder
I've tried it with xp/2k3, running full blown windows from CD is amazing ; ))

BTC: 18ozhbkfHneX8tnPgHJuTizyBmspM5Vgpa  LTC: LgVc7KdedPGZyDXHXEH9G7z6AoTmTvDdWb
cgminer 2.11.13 x64 portable for Mac OS X 10.6.8
6+ GPUs driver mod for Windows
Jazkal

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 12:14:07 AM

Funny you should ask. The last 48 hours, I've been working on building a Win 8 PE disk. I have it on an old 1GB USB drive, and everything fits, but I'm still adding stuff so it could end up being larger. Once it's all nice and stable, I'll release the img with instructions on how to use it for yourself. Consider it a Windows version of BAMT, or an x86 Windows version of MinePEON - you plug it in, 5 min later you're mining.

What's working:
Wired NIC drivers are included with Win8.
Bundled Wifi drivers (3rd parth and Windows default).
Installed AMD 12.8 drivers/SDK.
CGMiner and BFGMiner both work with GPU mining (BTC works, haven't tried LTC, tho it should work).
MSI AB can downclock GPU memory, and undervolt.
GPU-z can read all GPU sensors, including verifying undervolt.
FTDI drivers install, and BFGMiner can mine on my BFL FPGA Single.

What's not working:
CGMiner cannot be used to mine on any USB devices (FPGAs or ASICs), as Zadig causes the OS to BSOD when it tries to install a driver (such as WinUSB). Using Zadig to export the driver and manually installing it doesn't work either, as "Windows\System32\drivers" is missing winusb.sys. I'm going to have to copy them from a Win8x86 machine, which I don't have, so if anyone is using 32-bit Win8 and wants to help out on that front, feel free to send me a PM. Wink
Getting Miner.php to work is still a work in progress. That's low on the priority list, tho.
A lot of the things that work require a manual setup every time you boot from the disk. I'd like to work on packing it a bit more nicely.
Can you give us the commands you used to build this WinPE?
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:19:22 AM

Can you give us the commands you used to build this WinPE?
When I'm finished, I'll make the ISO available for download so anyone can burn it to a 1GB USB drive, and use it.

legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 04:45:18 PM

Yes you can install it from a USB no problem.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
BitCointransfers

Activity: 104

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:02:30 PM

Forget about running Windows from USB, it's extremely SLOW
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 09:08:23 PM

Forget about running Windows from USB, it's extremely SLOW
Once it's loaded, it's fine for mining purposes. I'm getting the same hashrate as if I were booting from a HDD.

threeip

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 10:47:05 PM

Linux, or SSD?

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 07:35:31 AM

Would love to get a copy of the WinPE image crazy, keeping hard drives in mining rigs is a PIA, and Linux and I do not mix...
Been working on it all weekend, so tell me what you think: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=247537.0 Cheesy

demontn

Activity: 118

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 07:04:13 PM

Hello Bitcoiners Smiley,
i just installed windowstogo in a 16Gb usb, it works, i installed drivers and everything but when i start reaper (I have 3 GPUs, i am using 1 reaper instance for 6970 and another for 6850 and 6770), so when i run the 6970 it works well but when i started the 6770/6850 it says that i don't have enough ram (but my system was running on a HDD with windows7 with 2Gb ram). My question is : Does this error shows because i am using a USB or i should add more ram  ? .
thanks

Jazkal

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:54:51 PM

Here is a guide on how to install Windows 7 (or other versions) onto a USB drive, and run the OS from that device.

http://reboot.pro/topic/10126-nt-6x-fast-installer-install-win7-directly-to-usb-external-drive/

EDIT: My mistake, that is for a USB hard drive. oops
reikokuko

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:55:05 PM

Linux ftw!! Have it boot from the USB, copy itself into RAM and use the USB as storage.  RAM is waaay faster than SSD/HDD and your rig will be harddriveless (so leet, awesome to brag about).
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:10:33 PM

Linux ftw!! Have it boot from the USB, copy itself into RAM and use the USB as storage.  RAM is waaay faster than SSD/HDD and your rig will be harddriveless (so leet, awesome to brag about).
Linux isn't the only one that can do that.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: