Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:39:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Miner Design Discussion  (Read 33971 times)
Mitak

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 05:05:00 PM

Most probably yes.please excuse me.
So what is this with antminer refurb ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sobe-it

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 05:16:21 PM

All they are reusing is the fans/heatsinks (or waterblocks)/and the frame (or case). Makes it more affordable for the end user instead of having to charge for the parts, labor, extra shipping charges and markup.
bctmke

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 05:37:03 PM

I don't think you've been paying attention at all.

Can I *like* this comment?

NXS is on the move!   Come subscribe to our subreddit  https://www.reddit.com/r/nexusearth/
Come mine NXS at http://nxsminingpool.com
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 05:46:22 PM

The scope of this discussion actually encompasses most of the board design talk from my approximately-hundred-page BM1384 dev thread which is now retired and back a few pages. The same logic applies here as does there with regard to board design - the point being, there will be board design. Nobody has ever said we'd be using an existing board and swap a newer chip on. Okay, that's not true - I'm sure some people have erroneously stated that or asked if that was the plan, but were shot down or corrected every time.

It's not possible to use a chip the board wasn't designed for, and it's doubly impossible to use a chip by a different manufacturer with not only a different footprint, pinout and power requirement but also communication protocol.

From the beginning this has been a board design project, meaning the project exists to design a board. Not to reuse one. Reuse the mechanical parts (fans, heatsinks etc) has been stated from the beginning, but never once has anyone "in the project" said anything about reusing any electrical component (hashing board or controller) of an existing miner.

Within the scope of this thread (the open community miner) there has been nothing except discussion of a new board with its own power and controls.

So at this point anyone assuming we're trying to stick Bitfury chips on an old Antminer board has not been paying attention at all. Nor has he been paying attention to pretty much anything miner-design-related that I've said in any thread in the last full year.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Mitak

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 08:58:31 PM

wow, chill
my comment was in answer  to the one before me.
I might not reading your BM based miner , but I'm reading this thread very carefully
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:12:50 PM

I was just being thorough.

Also, the guy before you didn't say he wanted Bitfury chips on Antminer boards, just that he wanted new boards for his C1. So it looked a lot like you were trying to say something you apparently were not trying to say.

Anyway, I think I got Avalon chips mostly figured out, at least at a hardware level. Today and tomorrow I'll work on drawing up a test board (probably dozen chips or so) based off my BM1384 pod design, from which we can refine the controls firmware and driver code. I'll need to get back to Compac manufacture for a bit, but the next step would be working up a solid design for voltage regulation and shifting to a full-size board with probably 20 chips and capable of higher power handling.

Once we have some good documentation on Bitfury chips I can adapt the design (regulator voltage levels, comm lines etc) to the new chip and we can start working on changing the driver. Gettin' pretty exciting.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:41:32 PM

Within the scope of this thread (the open community miner) there has been nothing except discussion of a new board with its own power and controls.

Just a thought on this and perhaps it is the plan or an option?

Is the idea that there is a single board including Hash Chips, Buck Converters and Controller? Or is it that the Hash chips are on one board and the Buck Converters and Controller on a second board such that Buck / Controller Board could be used with alternate Hash Chips if the need / opportunity arose?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:58:16 PM

Nope. The plan is not to make a LEGO miner. Voltage and current requirements are likely to change from one thing to another, and the chip comm hardware and protocols are likely to change from one thing to another, so it doesn't really make sense.

The plan is to build a single board, and also to release design specs such that the basic framework could be reused on other designs so instead of starting from scratch on power and controls, you could pick up a skeleton that already has 80% of what you need in it and modify from there to fit your specific requirements.

Anyone with questions should peruse the first page of the thread.

chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 12:08:29 AM

The plan is to build a single board, and also to release design specs such that the basic framework could be reused on other designs so instead of starting from scratch on power and controls, you could pick up a skeleton that already has 80% of what you need in it and modify from there to fit your specific requirements.

Without breaking NDAs (if you're on one), a honest to goodness question... should we be hyped atm about certain incoming tech or should we be skeptically vigilant?

kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:45:40 AM

Without breaking NDAs (if you're on one), a honest to goodness question... should we be hyped atm about certain incoming tech or should we be skeptically vigilant?

I will try to answer this as best I can to avoid any misleading comments.  I am not under an NDA, some info I have been asked to keep quiet and I am obliging but I am releasing ALL info to Sidehack and he shares it as needed to others working on this project.  Also, I am being VERY careful about overpromising and under delivering.  

Here is where we stand on chips, I have a fair number of Avalon chips and have been told by 2 separate individuals that we will get Bitfury chips.  Both of the individuals that have stated we would get the chips have the authority and power to make it happen.

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
navigatrix

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 01:42:18 AM

wow, chill
my comment was in answer  to the one before me.
I might not reading your BM based miner , but I'm reading this thread very carefully

I wrote that post. Just wanted to clarify that I am fully aware that brand new boards are indicated. I'd just like to use the housings where possible.

Good on ya, Kilo17 and sidehack. Looking forward to news on how this project is progressing.
aknnig

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 11:19:20 PM

@ sidehack

An extremely interesting project.

A question: Do you have some thoughts about the dimensions of the board(s) you plan to work with? I am in the process of raising money for hiring a system integrator to build a similar board. What I need is that the board(s) is only ~4cm in width, no restrictions in length.

Comments from you will be highly appreciated.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 11:22:30 PM

Well as has been noted fairly extensively so far, the primary hardware goal is to build something S1-compatible. So, about 15x25cm

hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 12:14:06 AM

I really hope this goes ahead, it would be really nice to have a small efficient home miner Smiley.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 12:35:48 AM

Well as has been noted fairly extensively so far, the primary hardware goal is to build something S1-compatible. So, about 15x25cm
S1 compatible? Oh boy.. I have 6 s1s in my closet, all gettin dusty. It'd be great to put them back in working order.. I just love the bare pcb look of the hashing units on s1s Smiley
irritant

Activity: 473

Sodium hypochlorite, acetone, ethanol

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 01:43:03 AM

S1 compatible? Oh boy.. I have 6 s1s in my closet, all gettin dusty. It'd be great to put them back in working order.. I just love the bare pcb look of the hashing units on s1s Smiley

and sticks maybe?
cavaliersrus

Activity: 735
Merit: 500

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 01:44:10 AM

i dont think hacks going to work on another stick design now untill this project is done but im sure sidehack will chime in on that

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 01:54:39 AM

Well I don't have any Bitfury chips to design a stick around yet...

Makingsure

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

Judge a Man not by his postcount,but by activity

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 06:45:57 PM

arg, i personallly am getting discouraged in bitfury, not that it surprises me ;\
they seem to have the time for the big money and deal with bcn, but not sidehack
i really hope they honor their word but i fear no chips till april or later ;(
cmon bitfury, don't let us down, choose community for once!
Mitak

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 07:00:27 PM

I did not realize that sidehack did not get the chip info yet.
They will for sure provide a sample as soon they get more chips , at least to have more options for distribution later
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: