Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:50:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Before a disgruntled customer says anything...Check Now!  (Read 7829 times)
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 05:33:03 PM

Well, that thread sure shows one thing. You shouldn't buy from a guy who names himself after really bad Scotch.

Au contraire, my friend. JW Blue is a fine, smooth, great tasting blend. and for $270CAD/750ml bottle, it oughta be.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 06:37:57 PM

Totally on johnniewalker's side here...it seems to me like he was making his first (attempt) at a .999 silver bar, and because it was his first try he sent a silver coin in case it was not .999. Now I only see 1 possible way to explain this; and that is that the silver shot was not .999. But based on what I see, I think AfricanHunter is a liar.

• Why has he not provided docs or proof of the assay?
  • Why has he disregarded the silver coin he was sent?
  • How the fuck does a .925 bar+.99 shot refine to LESS than .925? Am I missing something? Either AfricanHunter is lying or the shot was less than .925.
  • And since when did people lose their ability to read a thread and pick out the obvious lies?

Based on what i've seen today on this thread, I think people have never been able to pick out obvious lies from the truth. Maybe that explains how people always fall for scams in the bitcoin community...

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
AfricanHunter

Activity: 157
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 07:07:33 PM

Totally on johnniewalker's side here...it seems to me like he was making his first (attempt) at a .999 silver bar, and because it was his first try he sent a silver coin in case it was not .999. Now I only see 1 possible way to explain this; and that is that the silver shot was not .999. But based on what I see, I think AfricanHunter is a liar.

• Why has he not provided docs or proof of the assay?
  • Why has he disregarded the silver coin he was sent?
  • How the fuck does a .925 bar+.99 shot refine to LESS than .925? Am I missing something? Either AfricanHunter is lying or the shot was less than .925.
  • And since when did people lose their ability to read a thread and pick out the obvious lies?

Based on what i've seen today on this thread, I think people have never been able to pick out obvious lies from the truth. Maybe that explains how people always fall for scams in the bitcoin community...

Thanks for your well thought out opinion.

I have did not pay for the assay so was just a jewelry store assaying them, In hindsight I should have asked for a printout but I foolishly thought JohnnieWalker would make it right(and was a bit shocked). Keep in mind I had offered to go to the assay place with him before it got done (he declined), I offered to go and have it done again at a shop of his choosing (he declined), I even offered a 25btc bet they would not test right at a shop he chooses (he declined).

My proof was telling him the shop I went to and asking him to call to verify what happened (he declined and said it was probably my buddy). Honestly, if he promised to honor things I would go through the hassle of going back and asking for a printout (the guy was nice and would probably do it for me) but that hasnt been JW's issue. He has acknowledged I am under by "$5 of silver" but has no interest in making it right.

I have not disregarded it the Barber sent. It was a part of the deal in case he made a "slight mistake. I view a slight mistake as a percent or two, not 12%. Also based on what he said went in the melt, it is impossible to have the purity as it tested. Please see my Car Salesman analogy on page 2 for a simple explanation.

I don't know, ask JW. Either his sterling was fake/low, his shot was low or both.

Please see the screencap of the original thread. He didnt sell this as "Silver bars or around .925, maybe more maybe less. This is my first shot so no guarantees." He sold(and marked) these as .99. Hence the issue.

Honestly on reflection and based on his history (buying "Cohibas" which he thought were real in tj) I dont think JW intentionally ripped me off. I think he bought some shady scrap and has no customer service/business skills.

But come on dude, I am the liar? I have offered multiple ways to either make this right or definitively prove me a scammer(and take home 25btc additional in the process). He hasn't taken any of them. If you really read through this thread and see me as the guilty party I doubt your judgement (or you are a shill for JW). I have offered multiple ways through this, he has offered none (well one which doesn't address the issue at hand).

Tell you what JW, If I go and get an assay printout and video the process will you finally do what is right(either refund or 1:1 trade for silver weight)?

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?
First read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131841.0

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 07:58:16 PM

No problem. Smiley

I have did not pay for the assay so was just a jewelry store assaying them

First, "I did not". Not "I have did not". Smiley Secondly, how can you be so sure that the assay was truthful if it was not professional? I highly doubt you got the full assay service for free.

My proof was telling him the shop I went to and asking him to call to verify what happened (he declined and said it was probably my buddy)

While yes, it was a dick move for him to make, he is right about it possibly just being "your buddy".

He has acknowledged I am under by "$5 of silver" but has no interest in making it right.

Do you agree with this statement? Or do you believe he owes more? You don't make it very clear.

I have not disregarded it the Barber sent. It was a part of the deal in case he made a "slight mistake. I view a slight mistake as a percent or two, not 12%.

In my honest opinion, the barber should cover a bit more than a percent or two. Even if you do not view it as a slight mistake, I think a barber half was decent compensation.

Please see the screencap of the original thread. He didnt sell this as "Silver bars or around .925, maybe more maybe less. This is my first shot so no guarantees." He sold(and marked) these as .99. Hence the issue.

I can understand this issue from this point of perspective.

Honestly on reflection and based on his history (buying "Cohibas" which he thought were real in tj) I dont think JW intentionally ripped me off.

I agree with this statement.

But come on dude, I am the liar? I have offered multiple ways to either make this right or definitively prove me a scammer(and take home 25btc additional in the process). He hasn't taken any of them. If you really read through this thread and see me as the guilty party I doubt your judgement (or you are a shill for JW). I have offered multiple ways through this, he has offered none (well one which doesn't address the issue at hand).

The main reason I called you a liar is because you have no docs. If you manage to return with the assay docs, the case will probably be resolved much quicker.

Tell you what JW, If I go and get an assay printout and video the process will you finally do what is right(either refund or 1:1 trade for silver weight)?

I agree with this too. JW should answer to this.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
AfricanHunter

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 01:49:24 PM

No problem. Smiley

I have did not pay for the assay so was just a jewelry store assaying them

First, "I did not". Not "I have did not". Smiley Secondly, how can you be so sure that the assay was truthful if it was not professional? I highly doubt you got the full assay service for free.

Make one little mistake and the grammar nazis come out Smiley

I believe it was truthful because it was done by a shop that has been there for years, He did it with one of those XRF guns that cost 30k while I watched the screen, he "gunned" about 10 other pieces of bullion which all came out correct, I walked in "considering" selling him about $2500 in bullion, and not sure what you mean by "full assay". This was done by a shop whose entire business is buying/selling bullion in the middle of downtown San Diego so not sure what you mean it wasn't "professional". Does me paying for it make it professional? What reason could he have for purposely assaying it under (when he told me from the start he didnt buy self bars and I had to ask him to assay them on the side since they wouldnt be part of the deal. It's not like he asked to buy them at any point).

My proof was telling him the shop I went to and asking him to call to verify what happened (he declined and said it was probably my buddy)

While yes, it was a dick move for him to make, he is right about it possibly just being "your buddy".

Do you think I wanted all this headache over what should have been 3.5oz's of silver? Do I strike you as a shakedown artist with contacts in the business? I have done about 5k in business on this forum in past couple months (including a krugerrand which new member seller sent me before getting paid) surely there were better opportunities to scam someone than this?

If you dont trust the above, how do you reconcile that with offering to go to a shop of his choosing and having it redone; even offering a bet of 4X-ish what I paid if I was wrong?

Sure, anything is possible but which is more believable? That I colluded with others to try and get the silver weight I was promised or JW made mistakes on his first bars. He has made multiple "public" mistakes on the forum beyond this, why is that so hard to believe?

He has acknowledged I am under by "$5 of silver" but has no interest in making it right.
Do you agree with this statement? Or do you believe he owes more? You don't make it very clear.

Honestly havent done the math but I believe it is immaterial regardless, he sold me .99 bars and that is what he should have delivered. If they were a % or two off, this discussion would be very different. Average purity below scrap sterling is an issue for me when he said he melted only sterling and added 1oz of .999 shot. Math doesnt work unless he got taken on the sterling, shot or both. Why should I have to take the hit for his lack of judgement.

In the end I believe he either owes me a refund or the weight in silver he promised (in a recognizable format, including the barber in the total). I dont see how I am trying to get one over on him with that offer. I would even negotiate that figure (you know, like normal people do when making a deal) but he has taken the stance that I am wrong and has been unwilling to discuss the matter.

I have not disregarded it the Barber sent. It was a part of the deal in case he made a "slight mistake. I view a slight mistake as a percent or two, not 12%.

In my honest opinion, the barber should cover a bit more than a percent or two. Even if you do not view it as a slight mistake, I think a barber half was decent compensation.

Appreciate your opinion. In my view he included the Barber to get the deal done, not as compensation. I wouldnt have bought the bars for what I paid without it. Besides, I have offered to include the Barber as silver weight in a trade back.

I can understand this issue from this point of perspective.

Thanks.

The main reason I called you a liar is because you have no docs. If you manage to return with the assay docs, the case will probably be resolved much quicker.

I am not going to go and hassle the shop and spend their time on this (which will either cost me money or cost me a favor with the shop) unless I have some sort of promise from JW it would make a difference as I think even with them he would continue to tell me "NO YOU"!

I agree with this too. JW should answer to this.

He wont because he is only interested in making a quick buck off bitcoin. He will be gone soon enough I predict.

And in closing because it bears repeating, I leave you with this quote from JW;
I'll tell you this-as a man and as a screenshot of this message, if the bars are not what I say they are, contact me and I will make it right (in-case theres no discrepancy-which there isn't, but I don't want it to be .9899 or something like that) after Christmas, when I''m not broke. Or before-I have more silver coins.

He still refuses to live up to his word. JohnnieWalker, you are a dishonest trader and I hope people stay away from your "deals" of fake coins, fake Cohibas and fake/low silver.

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 05:40:06 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2012, 06:08:11 AM by johnniewalker

Just don't worry about him, you gave him too much. If you have any other problems with him let me know and I will send my assassins to make him love the ingot he bought from you and pay you a little extra just because he was so happy about it! : ))) Just kiddin'
Appreciate it. If anyone reads through this whole thing they'll understand whats going on. African Hunter bought the first ingots I ever made (and he knew that), and I worked hard to first get the scrap to a temperature where the silver melted and the alloy didn't. And to compensate, I added a ton of silver shot. Truth be told I did believe the ingots were .99. But just in case they weren't, I decided to include a Barber Half Dollar. That would make up for silver content even if ALL the ingots were 925 instead of .99. The "I will make it right" was before I decided to include the Barber-that was making it right.
About a month after the transaction (and after African Hunter had left me positive feedback) he comes back saying the assay results show the silver to be at 925,.9 and .8 (impossible because my torch doesn't get hot enough to BOIL silver and thus melt it off). Of course he had no literature, nothing to scan and show me (wouldn't you think an assay includes that?)
Of course I said no returns, that transaction was over and done with. He still got a great deal on silver and got more than what he paid for since I threw the Barber in as an insurance policy to avoid this exact scenario. It turned out the "alleged" (important word) lack of silver was about $5 worth. He already had that silver as part of the insurance policy that was the Barber, but I offered him a pre-64 quarter.
This wasn't good enough for him. He wanted silver in the form of either silver coins or minted bullion. Translation: interestingly this all coincided with the drop in silver prices. He wanted to take the great deal on silver he got from me and make money off it. But, he realized you can't trade homemade ingots like you can minted ones. So he was out of luck.
Anyone who reads this can form their own opinion, but that's what happened. And ask yourself-you see how many pages this thread is, how much time "African Hunter" has spent trying to get no more than $6 in silver (which the quarter I offered him would have done). It should be plain to see.
I am REALLY tired of this issue but feel like I have to keep posting on this thread to defend myself from the way "African Hunter" takes messages out of context (I did say I would make it right-before I decided the way I was going to do that was adding the Barber Half) and just provides examples that are entirely unlike this issue.
Just know that if you're a customer of mine you get whatever it is you pay for. I have started filming the making of my ingots so issues like this can't arise in the future. There are plenty of good people I've traded with on here. People whose back I have and will vouch for, and people who will do the same for me.

Can't resist,

"Just know that if you're a customer of mine you get whatever it is you pay for." (Unless I decide that our deal was good enough as it was, even if you demonstrably didn't get what you paid for).

And you keep trying to push the idea that this is about me trying to make a quick buck and failing(I have only bought bullion for the past decade, haven't sold a single ounce of silver or gold).

I could care less about a few grams of silver, I would wager my watch is worth more than your car. I do care about a seller giving his word on something then weaseling out when he is shown to be wrong. I will be sure others know it as well.

Evidence of this is the fact you have tried to sell fake items on here more than once (cohibas, my bars, and wasnt that coin you were trying to sell also spotted as fake?) and gotten caught, only to say, whoops my bad. Either you are a terrible businessman, a scammer, or at paint chips as a kid (I am guessing a mix of all three).

Dude, you went to Tijuana and bought "genuine" cohibas, tried to sell them here for genuine prices and then when someone posted they were fake your answer was "oh, I thought they only sold fake ones on the street carts, not the super shady shops lining revolucion"

You fail at this and you will fail at life because you are old enough to know better but don't. Do yourself a favor and just embrace your terrible business sense; then apply for a wage slave job at McDonald's. your bank account will be better off for it
You got what you paid for and more. What you bought and paid for was Silver. You were WELL aware that these were the first ingots I had ever made (maybe a newbie with a mapp torch isn't as consistent as the US mint?). I gave you more silver than you paid for, and offered even more. I highly doubt you have been buying and selling bullion for years-HIGHLY doubt. And cool about your watch, although its highly relevant, I don't think its worth more than my car.
I have offered fake/replica/counterfeit, whatever you want to call them, goods on here. Every single one I have marketed and put in the subject line "Fake/Replica/Counterfeit/etc.". I discovered the cigars I was selling were fake when a user pointed it out, and I promptly changed the post. Everything I have done on here is 100% honest and I can look myself in the mirror and say that.
One last question for thought: If you have been buying and selling bullion for years, why was it that you bought my first ingots wherein I PROMINENTLY advertised that I was a n00b and expected them to be .99 pure? Even I see-after a matter of months-that purity that high can only be achieved by a mint.
One more thing for thought. Does this look interesting?
We can work this out, I am not going to "bash" you on the forums at this point unless we cant come to an agreement. If you are unwilling to make good I will just make a thread telling my side of it.
Those words were typed by you. Instead, you put some BS in your signature about how I don't do honest business and are the first one to comment on my posts, harassing me and leaving rude comments.
We are done. Mods have agreed to block you from my posts in the future.
DobZombie

Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 06:56:41 AM

I'm pretty sure the guy paid for .99 silver And received .80 silver. 2 completely different products. He's understanderbly upset.

After viewing this pathetic attempt at customer service ill NEVER purchase ANYTHING from you.

I hate dealing with know it all uppity 18yo kids, and so do most people.

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 07:27:11 AM

I'm pretty sure the guy paid for .99 silver And received .80 silver. 2 completely different products. He's understanderbly upset.

After viewing this pathetic attempt at customer service ill NEVER purchase ANYTHING from you.

I hate dealing with know it all uppity 18yo kids, and so do most people.
Actually its not physically possible he got .80 silver from me. Did you see the assay results? Why don't you share them? You guys have been pals since the beginning of this thread. I have no idea what my age has to do with anything. Its pretty simple. I offer something for sale, you buy it or you don't. If its not as described, I make it right-as I did with your buddy.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 09:17:59 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2012, 09:39:18 AM by johnniewalker

The basis for your argument the entire time has been that you don't care about silver content, but rather purity. You purchased .99 silver from literally someone brand new to melting silver-if you've bought and sold bullion for years as you claim, you should have doubted the purity of the ingots. However you never asked me how I made them AT ALL. So you were in the market for .99 silver, saw my n00b listing and bought it to profit from. BUT soon you realized it was harder to trade than minted silver.
So you wrote this on December 20:
"[after a proposition: "Sorry but no. Needs to be a mint bar/round or 90% pre-64 us coins. Gold works too"
African Hunter did not care about Silver in .99 form-he just wanted silver that he could turn around and easily sell.
Summary: You knew little to nothing about silver, besides the fact my listing was a great deal. You got your ingots and were happy with them for a while. Then you supposedly got them assayed and they were under .99 (why don't you upload a copy of that receipt, by the way?). Also, you realized hand-poured silver is much harder to sell than silver in any sort of minted form.
There it is everyone. African Hunter is everything I have claimed him to be. People who have been on my side-thank you. Others, first of all, are a bit foolish in that "African Hunter" never presented any real evidence. But you have just been straight up mean for no reason. Yeah its the internet and thats how shit goes, but when it tarnishes an important reputation it becomes harmful. I loved this forum initially. And, I've done business with plenty of good people. I don't know if its for fun or what, but I don't know what the hate is about.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4479

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 10:02:08 AM

the way i read it is the smelter guy thought he could get away with it because he THOUGHT getting the metla tested would cost more then half the metals value, so he thought they would never get tested.

but they did.

then he sent a coin to hush the customer up thinking that is it..

no..

the 4 'bricks' are marked as .99 but are not .99 which makes them valueless.. no one will buy them off of him.

i as an outside party feel that the guy that smelted the metals should accept the bricks and the coin back and give a full refund.

then remelt the bricks and stamp them with a more accurate purity value.

the simple matter of fact is
you promised the guy 4oz of silver of .99 purity and he ended up with 3.6Toz of impure quality..
10% less weight and an unknown amount of less quality = alot of difference

im glad i live in the UK as i have a law called distance selling act that i can use. it doesnt matter what payment method was made or whom to or even the product involved. they still have to allow a returns policy.

lesson to be learnt. if they dont have a returns policy, dont use them

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 10:36:52 AM

By law in the US he is required to be within a margin of error of his marked quality and content. He is not within those margins of error. Not accepting a return puts him in criminal liability and he would serve himself best by choking this up as a learning experience and offering a full refund.
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 10:43:24 AM

Not a great idea to experience "buyer's remorse" after buying from a seller with a "no refunds" policy.
In my neck of the woods we have a phrase that we say when we must accept the loss and move on after situations similar to what happened here...
Charge it to the game

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 11:27:19 AM

Not a great idea to experience "buyer's remorse" after buying from a seller with a "no refunds" policy.
In my neck of the woods we have a phrase that we say when we must accept the loss and move on after situations similar to what happened here...
Charge it to the game

The problem with this logic is that the seller misrepresented the content of the bars unknowingly or otherwise, and refusing a refund is tantamount to fraud. He may not have been aware what he produced, but the fact is he stamped the purity and is now responsible regardless of his return policy.
DobZombie

Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 01:05:59 PM

Actually its not physically possible he got .80 silver from me. Did you see the assay results?
I don't give a fuck if it's .80 or not.  The important thing is that it's nowhere near .99 (which was not physically possible either)

You guys have been pals since the beginning of this thread.
I don't know the guy from a wet fart stain.

I have no idea what my age has to do with anything.
It doesn't usually.  I've met young guys like you.  Can't be told what to do, and stubborn until the end. super-ego!  I bet you're a fairly independent for your age? Keen to move out of home if you haven't done so already?  I know, I was a lot like you when I was younger.

If its not as described, I make it right
Well give the guy a fucking refund already.  You have any idea how bad this whole thing makes you look right now? If you keep pissing people off you're going to lose any regular customers you had. The reason I've jumped into this because I hate it when people mis-lead or lie (whether intended or not)

No 1 rule when working in a sales, do YOUR BEST to make a happy transaction.  When people see that, they will flock to your product! Why do you think those Chinese sellers on eBay beg for 5 star rating? It's so people see that 99.7% and buy 20 of everything!

I'm not trying to harass you or ha-rang you here.  I just want you to do that right thing.

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 01:33:23 PM

Charge it to the game

The problem with this logic is that the seller misrepresented the content of the bars unknowingly or otherwise, and refusing a refund is tantamount to fraud. He may not have been aware what he produced, but the fact is he stamped the purity and is now responsible regardless of his return policy.

You are probably right as I A.) don't pay attention to laws pertaining to shit like this, and B.) don't expect anyone to enforce such laws. Therefore, I would charge it to the game and move on to my next business venture as I have many times in the past. You see it's not about making everything right because it would just probably cost more in the end. I think the buyer made out good in the end because he is literally out probably less than $10 and he has unfortunately (for him) but fortunately (for anyone that reads this thread) discovered what can happen with this particular seller. I've lost hundreds before with nothing to show for it and I just had to learn my lesson...and charge it to the game. If the buyer can figure out a way to sell the stuff he doesn't want then he should just do it because I can assure you he ain't gettin' no refund.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 07:33:01 AM

Yes, I am sure all transactions on this site are monitored, and thus subject to all trade rules and regulations of the United States.
I'm fucking sick of this. This is literally the last post I leave.
The buyer knew these were the first ingots I ever made. In order to ensure this EXACT thing didn't happen, I sent along a half-dollar which I noted would cover the coins even if they all turned out to be of .925 purity. I even asked the buyer to tell me the results of the assay. God I wish a record of sent messages was kept on here.
I made it right from the beginning, sending the coin (why would I have sent the half-dollar if I was confident the bars were .99?)
Upon the buyer saying he wanted to "return" the bars I offered 1) to send him a silver quarter since apparently melting .925 silver yields .80 silver. I'm STILL waiting to see the results of that assay. And I 2) offered to remelt all of the bars, let him keep the half dollar and quarter, and make him a single .925 ingot. He rejected all of these. He said he wanted MARKED silver or gold even. Therefore his argue of "Its about purity, not silver content" is bullshit.
I have yet to see anything even proving the buyer got the metal assayed. I have seen no results and not even a receipt!
The buyer thought he found a great deal on silver ingots from a NOVICE (he was well-aware these were the first ingots I ever casted) silversmith and that he could turn around and sell/trade them. Hand-poured ingots are a long-term investment, however.
So-considering all of my attempts to go above and beyond and above all a LACK OF ANY PROOF on his part, I will not refund this buyer in any way. Mods have agreed to block him from my future posts.
I will continue to offer things for sale on this site and look forward to many pleasant transactions with repeat and new customers.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 08:11:11 AM

Mods have agreed to block him from my future posts.

Seriously?  You could have simply put him on ignore.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
AfricanHunter

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 09:54:33 AM

Yes, I am sure all transactions on this site are monitored, and thus subject to all trade rules and regulations of the United States.
I'm fucking sick of this. This is literally the last post I leave.
The buyer knew these were the first ingots I ever made. In order to ensure this EXACT thing didn't happen, I sent along a half-dollar which I noted would cover the coins even if they all turned out to be of .925 purity. I even asked the buyer to tell me the results of the assay. God I wish a record of sent messages was kept on here.
I made it right from the beginning, sending the coin (why would I have sent the half-dollar if I was confident the bars were .99?)
Upon the buyer saying he wanted to "return" the bars I offered 1) to send him a silver quarter since apparently melting .925 silver yields .80 silver. I'm STILL waiting to see the results of that assay. And I 2) offered to remelt all of the bars, let him keep the half dollar and quarter, and make him a single .925 ingot. He rejected all of these. He said he wanted MARKED silver or gold even. Therefore his argue of "Its about purity, not silver content" is bullshit.
I have yet to see anything even proving the buyer got the metal assayed. I have seen no results and not even a receipt!
The buyer thought he found a great deal on silver ingots from a NOVICE (he was well-aware these were the first ingots I ever casted) silversmith and that he could turn around and sell/trade them. Hand-poured ingots are a long-term investment, however.
So-considering all of my attempts to go above and beyond and above all a LACK OF ANY PROOF on his part, I will not refund this buyer in any way. Mods have agreed to block him from my future posts.
I will continue to offer things for sale on this site and look forward to many pleasant transactions with repeat and new customers.

Sorry, been away on vacation.

1. Anyone with half a brain can see what happened here which is why you have nobody on your side (for more than 5 minutes) with any credibility.

2. Saying;

In order to ensure this EXACT thing didn't happen, I sent along a half-dollar which I noted would cover the coins even if they all turned out to be of .925 purity.

Doesn't work when they didn't even assay .925 on average.

3. I wanted marked or recognizable metals because your smelting cannot be trusted. Can anyone blame me? And who in their right mind would send you back bullion so you could resmelt it when you somehow managed to mix sterling and .99 shot then were left with a product which was less pure than sterling... Marked at .99 and in standard ounces no less you friggin chucklehead.

4. I have offered multiple ways for you to have proof and even come out way on top if I am full of shiz; all of which you have ignored or declined.

5. You have made absolutely zero efforts to go "above and beyond". What actions would you say demonstrate this after I contacted you with the assay results. In contrast, I feel I have been eminently reasonable with you. Remember who started this thread?

6. Hiding behind "Oh woe is me, if only I had the messages we sent back and forth" doesn't work when I have said multiple times that I did have all our correspondence but wouldn't post them without your consent as they were done off the public forum. Trust me, they don't do anything positive for your position.

7. Send me that silver quarter you promised. I have written the rest off as a loss, although I would wager your loss is far larger than mine when you consider the damage done to your rep.

Regards.

AH

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 04:17:18 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2013, 04:29:27 PM by Lethn

I've been glancing over this thread with a vague amount of interest because I'm currently looking learning to make Jewellery and I'm probably going to be using sterling silver, while I'm not necessarily siding with Johnniewalker this frankly is beginning to look more and more like blackmail, AfricanHunter, why make such a massive deal about this?

. You bought an ingot from someone inexperienced who clearly didn't know very much about metals and was experimenting to make some cash

. You bought with Bitcoins, anonymously and essentially on the black market in legal terms currently and you're questioning the product quality after you bought it? It's as if you bought a house without properly surveying it first and are trying to place blame on the person you bought it from

. You magically have no receipt for the assay on the silver he sold to you, you keep saying it didn't, claiming you're being civil at the same time when anyone civil or for that matter intelligent would have brought the receipt along, when I make large or expensive purchases I always keep the receipt in case of situations like this

. If this were a court room and Bitcoins were entirely legal and not in a grey area like they are now I suspect a judge would have just laughed at you both because neither of you made any proper legal preparations to make your case like anyone else would

So let this be a lesson to you, if you deal in physical goods that have a potential for loss, both sides should keep legal records of everything so it doesn't turn into a nonsensical competition of who can rant at each other the longest, you don't buy something from a store and go to complain about the product without proof of purchase in real life do you?

I also found this which you all might find interesting: http://www.silverstall.com/testing-silver.html
AfricanHunter

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 07:46:13 AM

You make some fair points but think you are missing the forest for the trees.

Regardless, I am tired of the discussion at this point and it was clear from the first few days he wasn't going to do anything about this, just wanted this to serve as a warning to others more than anything.

Anyway folks, happy to continue the discussion offline if anyone has questions/etc.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: