Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:13:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 0$ Power cost --> Antminer u1 miner rig profitable?  (Read 1817 times)
jpucela14 (OP)

Activity: 357
Merit: 251

SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:22:51 AM

Hi miners!
I´m thinking to get an ant miner u1 or u2 mining rig. i wouldn't have power cost but i have 1 condition: It should NOT make noise so no fan...
Any ideas or comments?

7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:29:14 AM

I suppose this is a hobby project to understand how mining works. If you are hope to earn some bitcoins, using faucets maybe better than setting up several 2GH/s miners.

These should work well without fan but you might need an external power supply for the USB hub. Each of these will consume >500mA so a 5volt power supply capable for 5-10A may be needed. Please consider adding a "Caution - HOT surfaces"  signage - they get quite hot after a while.
Shibashi Dogemoto

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:31:43 AM

Hi miners!
I´m thinking to get an ant miner u1 or u2 mining rig. i wouldn't have power cost but i have 1 condition: It should NOT make noise so no fan...
Any ideas or comments?

IMHO, at current diff, it'll be very hard to ROI with an U2, even without considering power consumption, a raspberry pi and the time you're going to spend to set it all up.
I have 2 U2's running ATM, but there's no way i'll ever make my initial investment back. Offcourse, i bought those two miners to learn about mining, not because i wanted to ROI.

EDIT:
http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator/?h=2&p=0.01&pc=0&pf=0.00&d=163491654908.95900000&r=25.00000000&er=436.18000000&hc=0.00
The setup will gain you less than one dollar (in BTC) at current diff and block reward... so unless you buy an U2 for about 50 cents (postage included) chances of ROI will be close to 0%
jpucela14 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:33:07 AM

I suppose this is a hobby project to understand how mining works. If you are hope to earn some bitcoins, using faucets maybe better than setting up several 2GH/s miners.

These should work well without fan but you might need an external power supply for the USB hub. Each of these will consume >500mA so a 5volt power supply capable for 5-10A may be needed. Please consider adding a "Caution - HOT surfaces"  signage - they get quite hot after a while.

It´s just for fun, with 2gh/s do you mean ant miner u1 right?
About the no noise condition is because im going to mine at work so its the only way to do it... there is some "big miner" that makes really low noise?
Thank you

Shibashi Dogemoto

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:34:49 AM

About the no noise condition is because im going to mine at work so its the only way to do it... there is some "big miner" that makes really low noise?
Thank you
U2 = 2 Ghs/s
U1 = 1.6 Ghs/s

So  7788bitcoin was indeed talking about an U2

My advice: only buy an usb stick miner if you're just trying to learn how to mine... Buy a "bigger" minner (S7, avalon 6) if you're trying to make money (but calculate everything beforehand, it's easy to lose money while mining nowadays)
jpucela14 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:39:32 AM

Thank you
U2 = 2 Ghs/s
U1 = 1.6 Ghs/s

So  7788bitcoin was indeed talking about an U2

My advice: only buy an usb stick miner if you're just trying to learn how to mine... Buy a "bigger" minner (S7, avalon 6) if you're trying to make money (but calculate everything beforehand, it's easy to lose money while mining nowadays)

Thank for the answer... i've mining for 6 months now... i just was wondering if there is any miner that mines in silent... i know than mining nowadays is difficult

tobacco123

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:40:25 AM

... Please consider adding a "Caution - HOT surfaces"  signage - they get quite hot after a while...

Modify the miners to look like desktop cup warmer... your bosses will not suspect it!

7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:44:20 AM

Thank for the answer... i've mining for 6 months now... i just was wondering if there is any miner that mines in silent... i know than mining nowadays is difficult

Miners generate lots of heat and cooling is definitely needed. Insufficient cooling will lead to high HW errors and may eventually damage your miners. I hope you are not hiding them in your drawer without any ventilation...
jpucela14 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:45:39 AM

... Please consider adding a "Caution - HOT surfaces"  signage - they get quite hot after a while...

Modify the miners to look like desktop cup warmer... your bosses will not suspect it!

the computer that i have won't give me a good hashrate. i won't try cpu mining... Thanks for the advice anyways   Cheesy

Atomicat
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:46:19 AM

Which mining hardware are you currently using to mine? Did you make an ROI on your hardware?
jpucela14 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:52:24 AM

Which mining hardware are you currently using to mine? Did you make an ROI on your hardware?
a little of gnu mining with 1.3Mh/s with Altcoins and 2 gridseeds mining LTC at 730h/s... Im not making any profit but I'm loosing only 1 cent/day so i hope that in the future the value of LTC increase and get some profit...

merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:55:52 AM

a little of gnu mining with 1.3Mh/s with Altcoins and 2 gridseeds mining LTC at 730h/s... Im not making any profit but I'm loosing only 1 cent/day so i hope that in the future the value of LTC increase and get some profit...

Just some friendly advice: if you're mining at a loss (even if it's only 1 cent/day), please consider stop mining and just buy LTC with the money you would have used for powering your mining device.

You'll get more LTC, and make more money IF the price goes up (this part is always a guess)
jpucela14 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:07:28 AM

Just some friendly advice: if you're mining at a loss (even if it's only 1 cent/day), please consider stop mining and just buy LTC with the money you would have used for powering your mining device.

You'll get more LTC, and make more money IF the price goes up (this part is always a guess)

I sometimes rent my hash power so i get my losts back. Anyways thanks for the advice.

Atomicat
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:09:40 AM

If he is only loosing 1 cent/day it wouldn't be more profitable to buy Litecoins for the money spent on power because the fees to buy LTC is higher than 1 cent.
Atomicat
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:10:46 AM

I sometimes rent my hash power so i get my losts back. Anyways thanks for the advice.
If renting out your hashpower is more profitable why don't you always keep your rigs on rent? You would make some profit in the long run that way.
jpucela14 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:14:05 AM

If renting out your hashpower is more profitable why don't you always keep your rigs on rent? You would make some profit in the long run that way.
I'm thinking to do it... the problem is that miningrigrentals don't show my real cgminer hashrate and i don't know why
EDIT: I have to add that the hash rate showed in miningrigrentals ir really irregular (don't know why either)

Atomicat
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:50:41 AM

I'm thinking to do it... the problem is that miningrigrentals don't show my real cgminer hashrate and i don't know why
EDIT: I have to add that the hash rate showed in miningrigrentals ir really irregular (don't know why either)
There might be a problem with the pool the buyer is using. Are you getting more from miningrigrentals than from mining Litecoins only?
Shibashi Dogemoto

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:52:56 AM

I've had great experiences with miningrigrentals support staff... If you see something you don't understand, just open a support ticket, and (usually) they'll give you an explanation within a couple of hours  Smiley
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 08:49:54 PM

You will not ROI on these stick miners.  They cost more then they will bring in it's for leanring and lotto mining at this point on usb stick miners.  If you have free power I suggest looking at bigger rigs.

As far as if you do want to do a stick miner for fun.  Get a RPI and a compac, the compac is much better. Again it is not going to ROI unless you make more by selling it.  But you can use it for learning and lotto.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:00:16 PM

It would probably be good to clarify what is meant by "profit". It can mean earning more than it costs to run (aka Operating Profit). To some it means not only an operating profit, but also pay for the original cost (i.e. the over used term ROI).

With zero actual electrical cost, then it's almost a certainty you can earn an operating profit, since the primary operating cost is electricity.

Actually earning more after operating costs and subsequent sale of the hardware, is much harder to do, and influenced by the size of the operating profit, and original cost of the hardware, and how long you hold onto the hardware before selling it. Obviously if you hold onto "forever", then you get $0 when you stop using it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: