Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:29:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should i allocate 100% of my savings to bitcoin ?
Yes - 105 (38.9%)
No - 165 (61.1%)
Total Voters: 270

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should i allocate 100% of my savings to bitcoin ?  (Read 7978 times)
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 01:27:58 PM

MY question is "should I borrow 10k from my bank at 5% a year and put it all into bitcoin?"

Yes.

If you have positive equity in the form of a hose etc, even more yes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
archetyp

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 02:03:39 PM

MY question is "should I borrow 10k from my bank at 5% a year and put it all into bitcoin?"

Yes.

Why are you suggesting this?
szuetam

Activity: 377
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 02:05:58 PM

YES do it.

100%
Another question is how to buy it (some chunks or sth?)

xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 03:35:43 PM

Yes.

5 % pa, some inflation.

Bitcoin prospected to go up faster. How fast? Your guess.

Bitcoin downside risk? Low, in my opinion.

With equity, you have your creditors at arms lengths distance. That is personal room for navigation.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 08:59:46 PM

No. think eggs and baskets.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:55:50 PM

No, you idiot. You absolutely should NOT allocate all of your savings to Bitcoins.

In fact, don't put any amount into BTC that you can't afford to lose.

Good points.  Also, don't hold any USD unless you're prepared to lose half of its value in the next decade or two.

Also, don't hold any EUR or other government controlled fiat currencies or overvalued gold or silver.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:23:57 AM

The future is plastics.  Wink

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
archetyp

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 02:20:39 PM

Yes.

5 % pa, some inflation.

Bitcoin prospected to go up faster. How fast? Your guess.

Bitcoin downside risk? Low, in my opinion.

With equity, you have your creditors at arms lengths distance. That is personal room for navigation.

That actually makes sense.
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 02:41:45 PM

This is just being a nit. Its relative to how much money you have, and your life situation. If you have 10k to your name and you are 20 years old, putting all your money into bitcoin is not some wreckless idea, it's taking a shot at retiring before 40 (like a pirate) or losing 10k and spending a few years working to recover it.

Actually it is a reckless idea.

Here is a scenario:

a) Loses a job.
b) An exchange like mtgox freezes his account. Pick any reason here, I have seen a lot happening in a bitcoin world.
c) He's screwed short term, because he has ZERO savings.

Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 02:47:45 PM

Hell fuck no.  My recommendation is, as always, 5%. Anyone can stand to lose 5% and bitcoin can still tank hard to 0. But at the same time there is so much upside that a 5% investment is likely to become significant.

As a disclaimer, I did put in a large percentage of my saving into bitcoin last March, and due to btc price appreciation and very little rebalancing, it's now dominating my portfolio.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 02:50:58 PM

Because the outcome of your investment doesn't necessarily effect me, my recommendation is:

Go Big or Go Home(less).

Bet it all on Bitcoin and let the wheels of fate decide your outcome  Cheesy

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 08:16:05 PM

This is just being a nit. Its relative to how much money you have, and your life situation. If you have 10k to your name and you are 20 years old, putting all your money into bitcoin is not some wreckless idea, it's taking a shot at retiring before 40 (like a pirate) or losing 10k and spending a few years working to recover it.

Actually it is a reckless idea.

Here is a scenario:

a) Loses a job.
b) An exchange like mtgox freezes his account. Pick any reason here, I have seen a lot happening in a bitcoin world.
c) He's screwed short term, because he has ZERO savings.

If he does a small amount of research and has half a brain he will know what he is doing and can easily secure his wealth without relying on a third party like MtGox.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 08:48:29 AM

Once again i'll submit to whatever the poll tells me to. ie: If 75% say yes it means i'll allocate 75% of my avail resources to bitcoin.

So you're letting total strangers decide what you're going to do with your savings?  Unbelievable.

... in fact, thats not any different to depositing your money in your local bank these days.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 01:24:50 PM

Since this thread started Bitcoin has seen a what, 50% ROI? I wonder what the OP did?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 02:05:34 PM

hope he listened to the smart 37% and went all-in on BTC Smiley he may have all eggs in one basket now but these are some huge eggs.

i am satoshi
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 04:07:27 PM

Since this thread started Bitcoin has seen a what, 50% ROI? I wonder what the OP did?

what goes up, must come ... you can finish the sentence.

i tried to resist saying this because i get flamed.. but we are reaching bubble territory again.
almost daily percentage gains is just not normal.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 04:30:09 PM

i tried to resist saying this because i get flamed.. but we are reaching bubble territory again.

Precisely. We're waaayyy above normal in terms of % increase per day/week...and I'm sure there are whales out there getting ready to dump into the market. Seems like a good time since we haven't seen this price in almost 2 years.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 04:05:09 PM

Past performance does not predict ... you can finish the sentence. A lot has changed in 18 months. Bitcoin is still developing.

Vladimir

Activity: 812

-

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 04:13:13 PM

If you discount short term noise and look at yearly chart instead of 15 minute one it is all not so outrageous actually. Bitcoin is young, small cap and volatile, there is nothing THAT impossible in this level of performance. About 600% in a year, not bad, outstanding even. However for comparison on many occasions various companies with much larger market cap have performed similarly well.

BTW there is a simple definition of a bubble. It is when a market goes up a lot and then collapses and does not reach new high ever or at least for very very long time (many decades at least).

Do you really think that right now Bitcoin is in a bubble and will crash and then it will not ever go over 26$ ?

-
vdragon

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2013, 04:49:57 PM

A while ago i did a publicly feeded trade, sold bitcoins as a result of this poll https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=121174.msg1305375#msg1305375

If i had done no trades i would been better off lol. I ended up liquidating about 50% of my holdings. But it was still quite entertaning to just trust the decentralized forum consensus.

This time around regarless of shortterm overbought technicals im really tempted to move all my savings to bitcoin, mainly because of this: http://bitcoinmagazine.com/bitcoin-price-breaks-15-4-august-2012-high/

Should i, or should i not ? please post whatever you find most convincing.
Once again i'll submit to whatever the poll tells me to. ie: If 75% say yes it means i'll allocate 75% of my avail resources to bitcoin.

Look man, its simply a gamble. And as in every gamble (if you are not addicted), you spend just as much as you are prepared to loose. If we knew the answer to this, we would all be rich by now  Grin

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: