Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:46:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about Bitcoin Payments on Steam?  (Read 1347 times)
Hello Im Me (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 03:42:37 PM

What do you think of Valve accepting Bitcoin as a payment on Steam? The only scenario I could think of is that it might attaract more people to use Bitcoin. But then again if you are a regular gamer and don't know what Bitcoin is, why switch over to an unknown currency? As of getting more sales, i'm not too sure if they would really get more sales with implementing Bitcoin as a payment processor, because people on Bitcointalk and other forums are selling Steam keys for Bitcoin, I also believe that there are some markets that allow you to pay with Bitcoin for Steam keys?

It would be cool to see, and it might even trigger more companies to implement Bitcoin as a payment processor?
Source: http://steamfreecodes.com/bitcoin-payments-on-steam/

██
                 █████
             ███    ██     
         ███        ██     ███
    ███             ██        ███
███           █    ███         ███
██        ███       ████      ██
██     ███           ████     ██
██    ██              ██    █     ██
██     ██              ██           ██
██     ███            ██          ██
██        ███        ██          ██
███        ███     █          ███
    ███        ██             ███
         ██     ██         ███
            █     ██    ███
                   █████
                      ██

CRYPTOTASK

Decentralized
freelancing market
  Fully scalable dispute system  .......        ✔︎ 
  Low fees, no limits task market .....      ✔︎ 
  Earn money by being a reviewer     ✔︎ 
Follow us & check. whitepaper.
Website     Announcement     Twitter     Facebook
[/center]
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:00:47 PM

it should help bitcoin grow among gamers, but i'm convinced that many gamers already know about bitcoin, and if they really care about it they should have already used it through other way(kinguin and g2a)

aside from this buying on other vendors like the one mentioned is cheaper, so i doubt i would use it, unless i'm forced because of the difficult to find some title...
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6142

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:03:32 PM

What do you think of Valve accepting Bitcoin as a payment on Steam? The only scenario I could think of is that it might attaract more people to use Bitcoin. But then again if you are a regular gamer and don't know what Bitcoin is, why switch over to an unknown currency? As of getting more sales, i'm not too sure if they would really get more sales with implementing Bitcoin as a payment processor, because people on Bitcointalk and other forums are selling Steam keys for Bitcoin, I also believe that there are some markets that allow you to pay with Bitcoin for Steam keys?

It would be cool to see, and it might even trigger more companies to implement Bitcoin as a payment processor?

I'm not sure how it's going to attract more people about it unless they really make the announcement in the first page or something , because if they simply add the icon on with the other payment methods , no body is going to check it out just because he saw the icon.
and I personally won't use it myself beacuse Steam sells for higher prices if we compare it to g2a.com for example , and yes It may trigger more companies to implent Bitcoin as a payment processor , definitely .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:05:07 PM

Rumor has it that they will accept BTC really soon... I highly doubt it, but let's see Smiley I think it would be an amazing addition. I'd definitely be spending more on Steam with Bitcoin.
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:13:58 PM

Gamers usually have powerful GPUs and CPUs capable of mining Bitcoins and now altcoins and are computer-literate so they would know what Bitcoin is and where to use it most of the time and in that regard I think Valve are making the right decision to add it to the payment options on Steam.

relq

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:17:04 PM

Yes, i'm sure more people will use bitcoin because valve. Especially like buying steam wallet or expensive item game that can buy with bitcoin. Steaam accepting bitcoin is really next level.
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:22:32 PM

Yes, i'm sure more people will use bitcoin because valve. Especially like buying steam wallet or expensive item game that can buy with bitcoin. Steaam accepting bitcoin is really next level.
Yeah i think bitcoin will be popular if they accept bitcoin as payment if it will happen..
It will more popular if they use bitcoin as payment for contest or rewards. So that they can easily understand what is bitcoin..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
MrGodMan

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 06:16:03 PM

Yeah i think bitcoin will be popular if they accept bitcoin as payment if it will happen..
It will more popular if they use bitcoin as payment for contest or rewards. So that they can easily understand what is bitcoin..
It will be next level of bitcoins for any payment through steam, if it happens.

BigBoom3599

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 06:58:07 PM

I really hope other big companies will follow Valve so we can have a wider bitcoin adoption Smiley
Raimonn
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 07:05:06 PM

If Valve accepts bitcoin payments, it will help to more people know and talk about bitcoin, gamers are a big community and more open to new technologies than normal people. Also it would give bitcoin users more places to spend their bitcoins.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 3440

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 07:37:09 PM

Although you had a point, I disagree in regards with them not getting more sales since, the time they accept BTCitcoin (indirectly or better directly) would be the time, they open their doors to the whole new world of new users too. I travel on few countries in a year and in the country I'm staying at the moment, there's no way to fund my steam account (something I used to do when I'm in abroad) so there will be definitely an increase on sales.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 08:03:58 PM

I would argue that the bitcoin logo on their payment pages is one of the best advertisement bitcoin can get at the moment. Just by making gamers aware of the fact that bitcoin is around has huge potential.

Gamers spend thousands of euros on games, hardware and other retaled stuff. They are not afraid to spend money and if they get interested in bitcoin this could lead to some serious buying among that community.

Let alone the mouth to mouth advertisement if they start talking about it in their team chats etc.
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 08:13:18 PM

Being a pro Gamer I think it would definitely impress me to use a new currency for my payment at Steam.People just are too lazy to come out of their comfort zones to try something new.The day I heard this news I started to believe that bitcoin is going to make a huge impact on the gaming community as well.As far as the users who are used to other methods of payments are concerned,they will have no other option but to follow the trend. Apparently,when Valve announced the news,the response of the community was quite positive and everyone seems to embrace the change.
elite3000
Legendary

Activity: 1073
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 08:54:18 PM

For me would make things, I could spend the Bitcoins I earn more easily, with no need to sell them
Hello Im Me (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:05:24 AM

I would argue that the bitcoin logo on their payment pages is one of the best advertisement bitcoin can get at the moment. Just by making gamers aware of the fact that bitcoin is around has huge potential.

Gamers spend thousands of euros on games, hardware and other retaled stuff. They are not afraid to spend money and if they get interested in bitcoin this could lead to some serious buying among that community.

Let alone the mouth to mouth advertisement if they start talking about it in their team chats etc.
At this point, most people already know about Bitcoin or have at least heard of it. But the question is, will it be used? If they don't get a proper introduction to Bitcoin, it might just be ignored. 

██
                 █████
             ███    ██     
         ███        ██     ███
    ███             ██        ███
███           █    ███         ███
██        ███       ████      ██
██     ███           ████     ██
██    ██              ██    █     ██
██     ███            ██          ██
██        ███        ██          ██
███        ███     █          ███
    ███        ██             ███
         ██     ██         ███
            █     ██    ███
                   █████
                      ██

CRYPTOTASK

Decentralized
freelancing market
  Fully scalable dispute system  .......        ✔︎ 
  Low fees, no limits task market .....      ✔︎ 
  Earn money by being a reviewer     ✔︎ 
Follow us & check. whitepaper.
Website     Announcement     Twitter     Facebook
[/center]
poptok1

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756

Bobby Fischer was right

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 10:16:17 AM

At this point, most people already know about Bitcoin or have at least heard of it. But the question is, will it be used? If they don't get a proper introduction to Bitcoin, it might just be ignored. 

Hi
Im sorry mate but you a bit wrong. As of today most people do NOT know about bitcoin.
I would say 2% of earths population is aware of BTC in some minor form maybe 4%.
Most people have no idea what blockchain is, how to make wallet, hell they dont know what faucets are etc.
Knowlege boost is a must. Go Valve.

DimensionZ

Activity: 350

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:41:05 AM

I think more than 4% of the population is aware of Bitcoin. Now if they want to use it for payments is a whole different story. For example I do know what gold and stocks are. Do I want to buy and use them? No I don't. There is no guarantee that Bitcoin will be used more if Valve add it to the Steam store. But it will spread more awareness within the gaming community.

xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:49:36 AM

I think is a good idea, it makes gamer easier to buy something

maybe in the steam page can add little article about bitcoin, so bitcoin can become more popular

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM

Activity: 395

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:20:35 AM

This should be great, steam is a global gaming community, the use of bitcoin to facilitate unified payment  Wink

▄████████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████████
██████              ██████████████
██████              ██████████████
██████████████▀    ▄███▀▀██▀▀▀████
████████████▀    ▄█████  ▀    ████
██████████▀    ▄███████    ▄██████
████████▀    ▄█████████   ████████
██████▀    ▄███████████   ████████
██████              ███   ████████
██████              ███   ████████
▀████████████████████████████████▀
Coin

.WORLD'S  FIRST  COMMODITY-BACKED  BLOCKCHAIN  OPTION.
......▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀.......
HIGH PROFIT CASH BACK ON DEMAND REAL PRODUCTION

JOIN ICO
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.BECOME AN INVESTOR.
seedtrue
Legendary

Activity: 963
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:27:25 AM

It will be a good thing if they decided to use BTC for their trading card market. Currently with most new games you get a few trading cards that you can sell for a few pennies. If this switched to bitcoin it would be good because people could more easily buy and sell micro amounts.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: