Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:10:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP NEEDED - Solo Mining Rig Problems - Earn Yourself 0.03btc Reward!  (Read 3205 times)
greenuser (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Marie Curie, 2 x Nobel Prizes Physics & Chemistry

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 11:22:06 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2016, 09:02:47 PM by greenuser

Hi there, i hope someone out there can help.
I am trying to solo mine with bitcoin-qt and cgminer.  I have bitcoin-qt running on one PC and cgminer on a different PC (both PCs are on the same home network)

I can mine to pools ok so i know my mining rig is working.  It's a HP mini 210 / 2core 1.6Ghz prossesor / 2gb RAM - 32bit, with no Hard drive fitted.  The OS is on a USB stick and is Windows 7 Starter.  I am running cgminer-4.9.2-windows.  I have two bifury 4gh and one U3.  A total of about ~65gh.  (I also have a S1 and an S3 that i would like to solo with too). Anyway....

My cgminer.conf looks like this:
Code:
{
"pools" : [
{
"url" : "http://127.0.0.1:8332",
"user" : "redstar",
"pass" : "XXXXXXXXX"
},
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://eu.stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333",
"user" : "XXXXXXXXXXX",
"pass" : "12345"
},
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://solo.ckpool.org:3333",
"user" : "15z9mzGXqSY3hpprvU7Aiah3rr5Jf1j4n7",
"pass" : ""
}
],

"suggest-diff" : "42",
"failover-only" : true,
"no-submit-stale" : true,
"api-listen" : true,
"api-port" : "4028",
"api-allow" : "W:192.168.1.0/24,W:127.0.0.1",
"au3-freq" : "225.0",
"au3-volt" : "775",
"bxm-bits" : "55"
}

(XXXX) hiding my credentials.

Ok, so when i start cgminer.exe the conf file loads and i get a message "No stratum, GBT or solo support in pool 0 http://127.0.0.1:8332 unable to use"!
failover works and it mines to eu.stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 (pool 1).
So... I am guessing this end is working as it should.

Now to my full node.  This is a Dell inspiron 1.8Ghz single core prossesor / 2g RAM  / Small 30gb HHD running Windows 7 Prof / bitcoin-qt (Satoshi 0.11.2)
The Bitcoin blockchain directory is on an external 120gb HHD.

The bitcoin.conf is saved to C:\users\user\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin and looks like this.
Code:
daemon=1
server=1
gen=0
rpcuser=redstar
rpcpassword=XXXXXXXXX
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=8332
I start bitcoin-qt and within 15min i have 20 conections and my node (86.151.92.38) checks out ok on https://bitnodes.21.co/ so all looks good.
Port 8333 is open on my router and my firewall has TCP 8332 both incoming and outgoing ports on this PC

All i need to do is point my hashpower at it.  Where am i going wrong?Huh?
Thanks in advance
Paula

Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 11:27:05 PM

Did you read the README that comes with cgminer that has instructions on how to solo mine? You're missing something (hint, btc address).

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
greenuser (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 11:47:35 PM

Did you read the README that comes with cgminer that has instructions on how to solo mine? You're missing something (hint, btc address).

Thanks Con, I did read your readme. (no need to shout Wink)
Quote "cgminer -o http://localhost:8332 -u username -p password --btc-address 15qSxP1SQcUX3o4nhkfdbgyoWEFMomJ4rZ"
Sorry for my ignorance.  I'm self taught and out my depth.  I guess the above is for .bat files.  I will give it a go.  I wanted to add it to a .conf so i have failovers (i don't know how to do that in a .bat) I want to take slush out and mine with your solo pool as my failover once it works.  Why do you only give .bat commands in your readmes?

Also I read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=315477.0 and that thread suggests -0 http://127.0.0.1:8332 rather than -o http://localhost:8332, i dont understand (but want too, rather than just get the thing working)
Also, I want to add my S1 and S3 and i dont need .bat for those.

Also,  have a brother in Aus and he wants to point some hashpower my way.  I need to sot how i do that too.

greenuser (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:17:20 AM

OK i added this bat file to the cgminer directory
Code:
cgminer -o http://127.0.0.1:8332 -u redstar -p mypassword --btc-address 1PJHB5ppVe6GFSevaMkwFwKMyRjGshiYe1

and i got ....."No stratum, GBT or solo support in pool 0 http://127.0.0.1:8332 unable to use"!

So...Then i tried

Code:
cgminer -o http://localhost:8332 -u redstar -p mypassword --btc-address 1PJHB5ppVe6GFSevaMkwFwKMyRjGshiYe1
and i got ....."No stratum, GBT or solo support in pool 0 http://127.0.0.1:8332 unable to use"!

Do i need to open ports on the mining rig the same as the full node machine or does cgminer take care of that?  Also, do i need to open more ports on the hub to let my bro in?

PS: i have only posted here because i have spent hours trying to sort this. 

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 03:19:25 AM

bitcoin-qt by itself on windows doesn't have the rpc client support.

-ck
greenuser (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 04:51:15 AM

bitcoin-qt by itself on windows doesn't have the rpc client support.
So it is a waste of time following these instructions https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=315477.0 ?
as i was under the impression the :
Code:
daemon=1
server=1
in my bitcoin.conf would sort that.

So i have to start bitcoind to support mining?

It's sooooo difficult finding good info Angry  Entropy isn't what it used to be.
Morover: Schrödinger's cat would fix it i bet.  Back to the scrawling board i guess?
No sleep for Paula

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 06:50:11 AM

So it is a waste of time following these instructions https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=315477.0 ?

bitcoin-qt by itself on windows doesn't have the rpc client support...
...any more

They're very old instructions. You need the rpclient installed as well on windows, not sure what binary that is specifically. Linux doesn't have this limitation.

How difficult this is proving to you is showing how infrequently people solo mine on windows any more: i.e. never.

-ck
greenuser (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 07:47:06 AM

bitcoin-qt by itself on windows doesn't have the rpc client support...
...any more

They're very old instructions. You need the rpclient installed as well on windows, not sure what binary that is specifically. Linux doesn't have this limitation.

How difficult this is proving to you is showing how infrequently people solo mine on windows any more: i.e. never.

Yes, that's what i assumed, as you... are the only one that has replied to this post after more than 50 people have viewed.
OK, thanks... i will Look into  rpclient or a Linux distro as i can run one on a live stick i guess.  I 'm using what kit i can beg, find or borrow.

So how secure will the network be when the pools start to turn on each other withholding blocks.  Look what happen on Slush recently.  Very low luck due to a large user withholding blocks? 

Published by Slush Pool: 2016-02-06 17:02:27

"Dear miners, we would like to inform you that we have detected and
resolved an unintentional block withholding attack.

The issue has been discovered a week ago and we have immediately
taken an action by contacting the particular miner. The cause turned
out to be a bug in a custom mining firmware, which has been promptly
fixed by the miner. We have no indication that there was any bad
intention. The fixed firmware solved two blocks since then so we
can consider this issue as resolved.

A recent time period of worse luck can be at least partly attributed to this incident.

Block withholding attack is a well-known weakness of the whole pool
mining principle and no public pool is immune against it.

As a by-product of the bad luck investigation, we have implemented
a new method how to mathematically prove that the pool does not cheat on
miners. This feature will be released after the public interface has been tweaked.
The release is planned towards the end of next week."

Also: Cornell's Paper Suggests Mining Pools Will Shrink in Size
http://cointelegraph.com/news/new-cornell-paper-suggests-mining-pools-will-shrink-in-size

Or in your own words...
“Solo mining can be done efficiently as a single pool entry or a backup to
any other pooled mining and it is recommended everyone have solo mining set up
as their final backup in case all their other pools are DDoSed/down for the
security of the network.
To enable solo mining, one must be running a local
bitcoind/bitcoin-qt or have one they have rpc access to. To do this, edit your
bitcoind configuration file (bitcoin.conf) with the following extra lines,
using your choice of username and password:”
(cgminer-4.9.2-windows-README)

Hmmm... "No stratum,GBT or solo support in pool 0 http://localhost:8332 unable to USE"

So much for a decentralised monetary system. 

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 07:55:52 AM

So how secure will the network be when the pools start to turn on each other withholding blocks.  Look what happen on Slush recently.  Very low luck due to a large user withholding blocks? 
It's not the first time it's happened and won't be the last. On the other hand it has nothing to do with pools attacking each other, but large mining entities doing the wrong thing - one cannot prove whether they're doing it intentionally or unwittingly. My bet is the former. How secure will it be? Just as secure as now. There's no reason to expect attacks will increase in frequency. Slush claims he has a foolproof way of detecting this happening but that's bullshit too since one can only tell after a miner has been mining for an extensive period and there are ways to disguise this attack even despite what slush may claim. Most other pools have always been monitoring for this kind of attack and slush got caught with his pants down for not looking for it till after it had happened. The miners have very little to gain by doing this attack too unless the pool is massive in size and they're a big mine but small proportion of the pool.

Don't believe every publicity stunt claimed. There's no sign of pools decreasing in popularity in the future, nor bitcoin being doomed, nor withholding attacks increasing in frequency, nor pools attacking other pools - in fact the only pool that ever did that was slush himself who pointed his dns at another pool when he was getting DDoSed. Publicity stunts feh...

-ck
greenuser (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 08:57:44 PM

Have you read the Cornell Paper Con?

So how secure will the network be when the pools start to turn on each other withholding blocks.  Look what happen on Slush recently.  Very low luck due to a large user withholding blocks?  
There's no sign of pools decreasing in popularity in the future, nor bitcoin being doomed, nor withholding attacks increasing in frequency, nor pools attacking other pools - in fact the only pool that ever did that was slush himself who pointed his dns at another pool when he was getting DDoSed. Publicity stunts feh...

@ Con, Is this your opinion and does it have any ecological validity? Can you supply references with rigour for a counter argument to the Cornell Paper?  It would make sense for a pool operator to attack their competition as you so rightfully say "one cannot prove whether they're doing it intentionally or unwittingly".  Thus yielding excellent plausible deniability.  (This is not an accusation BTW)

@ anyone.  Can anyone help / advise how I can solo mine with USB miners using cgminer or bfgminer, and Antminers S1, S3 etc.  I know i can use third parties to to solo mine but i would like to SOLO mine myself as being disabled, independence is important to me.  I don't really care if i don't win a block but if by some small chance i do, I will spend it on health care for myself and my wheelchair bound partner.  We would like to some usable teeth as it affects what we can eat.

I am a current Windows user as I have found it to be one of the only OS I am able to use.  I am partially sighted so need a system with dragon speak type software, good magnification and high contrast visual interface.  I do have someone that can read from a on a screen for me but they are not computer literate.

Is there a Linux based system that has these features?  If so what is it called? Where can I get it?

Or.... can anyone advise me on a suitable rpclient for windows,

If there is someone out there that can help?  I have approx 50 hours per week that I can dedicate to this project (I struggle to know how to fill my time) however, I don't have much of a budget.

I will however give BTC0.03 to the person that can help me get up and running solo mining.

Thanks in advance

Paula

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 06:04:02 PM

Are you absolutely stuck on the idea of using Windows?  

I'm not sure about Dragon... but Ubuntu has a lot of accessibility features.

If not, then I'd say the easiest way to get up and running is to install a Linux distribution, install bitcoind on it, install ckpool on it and set things up.  Then point your miners to your instance of ckpool.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
greenuser (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 09:07:53 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2016, 10:34:32 PM by greenuser

Are you absolutely stuck on the idea of using Windows?  

I'm not sure about Dragon... but Ubuntu has a lot of accessibility features.

If not, then I'd say the easiest way to get up and running is to install a Linux distribution, install bitcoind on it, install ckpool on it and set things up.  Then point your miners to your instance of ckpool.

Thank you,
I am currently trying to audition LIVE operating systems with the intention to insall the best of the bunch but my eyesight is poor so it is a slow process.
here is how i have got on:

tails-i386-2.0
I have to put my face 4 inches away from the screen to see how to use this system but I managed to run it from a stick and get on line

xubuntu-14.04.3-desktop-i386  -
I have to put my face 6 inches away from the screen to see, but I managed to run it from a stick, no wi-fi support without finding drivers for my Broadcom Corp wlan 1390 mini wi-fi adapter. Gave up at that point.  (need to research how to make menus, fonts, icons, contrast bigger/better before I proceed )

debian-live-8.3.0-i386-cinnamon-desktop  
No hardware acceleration so CPU working hard, -- no wi-fi for Broadcom Corp wlan 1390 mini wi-fi adapter. (need to research how to make menus, fonts, icons, contrast bigger/better before I proceed )

linuxmint-17.3-mate-32bit
Poor contrast, very difficult to see around. -- no wi-fi for Broadcom Corp wlan 1390 mini wi-fi adapter. (need to research how to make menus, fonts, icons, contrast bigger/better before I proceed )

CorePlus-current
No driver for Broadcom Corp wlan 1390 mini wi-fi adapter. (need to research how to make menus, fonts, icons, contrast bigger/better before I proceed )

EasyPeasy-1.6  -- no wi-fi driver (more research needed)

Fedora-Live-Workstation-i686-23-10 -- wi-fi ok, I like this and need to go back for a second look

linux-lite-2.6-32bit   -- no wi-fi driver (more research needed)

liberte-2012.2 -- wi-fi ok (more research needed)

xpud-0.9.2 The best by far.  Easy to see Icons, menus etc, wi-fi ok, I could not find usb devices plugged in to my machine.(more research needed)

***Missing Driver: Broadcom Corp wlan 1390 mini wi-fi adapter***
Code for fetching driver Huh?:
Code:
 sudo apt-get install --reinstall b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
I need a system with a good GUI rather than having to code all the time.

Thanks again for your support.
Also, my current OS is on a small 30GB HHD formated to NTFC.  Will it reformat under a new install.  Also my Blockchain Directory is on an external HHD formated to NTFC.  Will i need to format to somthing like FAT32 and download the whole 60GB again when run Bitcoin Core? Or can i copy and reuse it under a different format etc??? hmmm...

greenuser (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 09:18:55 PM

....Then point your miners to your instance of ckpool.

Please understand:

A) This process has the intended outcome of SOLO Mining. 

B) ckpool will be my failover.

C) Miners will be 2x Bi-fury, U3, S1 (underclocked with SM resistor mods) and an S3+. Total, ~700Gh/s

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 12:01:09 AM

Well... you've certainly auditioned quite a few distributions Smiley.  When I mentioned ckpool, I meant you running your own ckpool locally - not connecting to -ck's solo pool.

I have to be honest with you... the hardware you mentioned in your original post is going to, at best, struggle to deal with this.  Running a full node on a single core processor with only 2G of RAM?  The OS itself is going to use up a bunch of that, leaving you with little to spare to execute anything else.  Adding mining functionality on top of that and you're pretty much in a no-win situation.

I applaud your zeal for wanting to do this; however, I don't know how feasible it will be.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 12:12:06 AM

When I mentioned ckpool, I meant you running your own ckpool locally - not connecting to -ck's solo pool.
As JB said, ckpool is software. While there are 2 pools that have ckpool in their name, it's because they're run by the two developers of the ckpool software and it's descriptive of the fact that both pools use the ckpool software. That's kano.is ckpool and solo.ckpool.org .

-ck
greenuser (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 03:55:24 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2016, 04:29:42 AM by greenuser

Ok, thank you Con and JB.  Its all starting to fall into place a bit better now, thanks for the explanation.

Yes it is an ambitious project but if it works, and my understanding of computers grows, It becomes evidence I can use to prove I have value.  I may be able to get funding for better hardware.  Also, it's better than sitting in a darkened room wondering how best to spend my time. 
I can get hold of some hardware that needs repair at low cost and i have equipment and knowlage of PCB repair.  My eyes may be poor and i may be slow but i can still gas pencil fine pitch ICs on and off multi layer boards. What spec machine do i need to meet my requirments?

So...Fedora-Live-Workstation-i686-23-10 is looking good.  The settings that gives people with disability access is called “Universal Access” once found and set, the whole world of Fedora lights up for me.  I am sure the high contrast will help optimise things too as lots of the eye candy disappears when I turn it on.  I can work with this.  Wi-Fi driver good, quickly online and browsing .

Now that I see the wood from the trees I will do a full install on the node machine tomorrow and download Bitcoin Core GUI.  I assume I download for Linux?   Fedora is Unix??? not sure, what is the difference?

Also, not sure what support is out there for running Bitcoin Core on Fedora but I guess i'm gona find out.  

The blockchain will take at least 2 weeks to download.  So this may end up like “War and Peace” by the time I am up and running.

babtras

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 10:26:14 PM

I don't know if this has been resolved, but I stumbled upon it in my own struggles and maybe I'll save someone else some headaches.
I had the same problem and it was because bitcoin.conf was not being read by bitcoin-qt. I had a command line option "--data-dir" to store the database on a different drive for space constraints. When you use this option, bitcoin-qt expects to find the bitcoin.conf in this data directory also. So the one in %AppData%\Roaming\Bitcoin is ignored. Therefore a port isn't actually listening.

The bitcoin.conf is saved to C:\users\user\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin and looks like this.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: