Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:15:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU Mining Profit Estimation  (Read 939 times)
Wahard (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 08:37:28 PM

Hey miners,
I've been recently interested in using the local education center for Bitcoin mining, in case the profit is considerable enough, and knowing the server will be available for mining 5 days a week, and 8 hours a day.
I would like to speculate the profit it would generate in case I CPU-mined, and if there would be any Hardware related heating problems in case of over-running the server?
PS: Power cost will not be considered so it's basically a free power consumption
Here are the server details:   
CPU: Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2620 (12 CPU's)
16384 MB RAM
Hardware details: https://i.imgur.com/TfQSJkj.jpg
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 08:39:46 PM

CPU mining for bitcoin became defunct 4 years ago. On average you will earn 1 cent worth of bitcoin for every $1000 dollars worth of electricity you dedicate to bitcoin mining.

In short: Don't even try.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 09:51:13 PM

CPU mining for bitcoin became defunct 4 years ago. On average you will earn 1 cent worth of bitcoin for every $1000 dollars worth of electricity you dedicate to bitcoin mining.

In short: Don't even try.
Sums it up perfectly. In other words, unless you like the smell and taste of capacitor popcorn and fried cpus, please don't try. Your computer is begging you to stop. Besides the load of the pc, running cpuminer will shorten your computer's life. Heat is a processor's worst enemy.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 07:15:21 AM

for cpu and gpu mining lookat the altcoin section there is something that may be worth consider for mining, hint: cygnus(for example

i guess maybe in the future quantum computer could be used for a better mining activity than asic
Shibashi Dogemoto

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 07:19:43 AM

I think the other posters summed it up nicely... If you insist on mining with your CPU, altcoins are your only option.
I'd personally go for ETH or Magicoin, but you'd need to study the market beforehand.

An other option is to use your server for other stuff... For example, install OpenVZ on it, and rent out VPS's. I think you'll make a lot more money splitting your server up in 20-30 VPS's and rent them out for 0.005-0.01BTC a month than you'll make mining altcoins (offcourse, mining altcoins can bring you a lot of profit, but in this case it depends on luck instead of calculations)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 09:10:59 PM

I think the other posters summed it up nicely... If you insist on mining with your CPU, altcoins are your only option.
I'd personally go for ETH or Magicoin, but you'd need to study the market beforehand.

An other option is to use your server for other stuff... For example, install OpenVZ on it, and rent out VPS's. I think you'll make a lot more money splitting your server up in 20-30 VPS's and rent them out for 0.005-0.01BTC a month than you'll make mining altcoins (offcourse, mining altcoins can bring you a lot of profit, but in this case it depends on luck instead of calculations)

VPS mining is hard to make money off of.  I don't believe the math of it being profitable unless you show more details.  It's just VPS mining did not last long on profitability.  Also VPS that are cheap a lot of time don't allow mining, they have in TOS about excessive usage.  And mining run's CPU's hard so a lot of bargin VPS's you get kicked off for mining.

Have you done this?  Can you point to a VPS that math works out to a profit?  I just don't see it.
traderbit

Activity: 798

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 09:14:52 PM

Hey miners,
I've been recently interested in using the local education center for Bitcoin mining, in case the profit is considerable enough, and knowing the server will be available for mining 5 days a week, and 8 hours a day.
I would like to speculate the profit it would generate in case I CPU-mined, and if there would be any Hardware related heating problems in case of over-running the server?
PS: Power cost will not be considered so it's basically a free power consumption
Here are the server details:   
CPU: Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2620 (12 CPU's)
16384 MB RAM
Hardware details: i.imgur.com/TfQSJkj.jpg

Few years before don't know in which year was cointellect alive i mined 'DOGE' with my laptop cpu, and i was able to earn less than 20 cent per day. But now it does not even worth trying.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 10:16:12 PM

Since there's nothing more of value to be said about this, I'm locking this thread before it becomes a haven for sigspam advertisers.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: