Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:44:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DDoS'er admits to being paid to attack classic nodes...  (Read 2267 times)
chopstick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 992
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 07:07:34 AM

Just another day in the life.

https://np.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin_Classic/comments/47zglz/ddos_started_again_have_a_nice_day_guys/

In his own words:

"Just paid, I'm professional ddoser lol. Don't know why someone want to bring it down. Maybe increasing block size will decrease miners profit? I'm using bitcoin a lot but don't care about it's politics too much, XT had too fast block size grow rate which looks unrealistic to me. I think BIP100 is okay since it allows voting and also bitcoin unlimited also seems like good idea and looks simpler for me. If classic will fork to 2mb blocksize and it would be not enough then what? Next hard fork? I think protocol should support miner voting by design."

In b4 it's a false flag being run by classic supporters.

Also I'd love to know how much he's getting paid. Botnets can't be cheap.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 268

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 08:03:04 AM

that's one likely explaination
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 08:12:05 AM

I recently converted my node to a classic node and I have received a total of 4 alerts from my hosting provider advising me that I was getting DDOS'ed and that they are taking measures to prevent the attacks from reaching my VPS. This is while my classic node was still synching and was at roughly block 250k.

edit: 5 alerts and am at Huh block while (most likely still) syncing.
davedx

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 11:45:08 AM

Yup. My response is to run more nodes.

I hope it's worth your money, whoever is doing it! Cheesy

Bitcoin is one piece of a larger puzzle to promote liberty, prosperity and democracy.
Support the EFF with your Bitcoins. https://supporters.eff.org/donate
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 11:53:50 AM

bitcoin politics being lot more intresting this days similar to country politics. Can't get the point to pay ddos'er to down classic nodes. Roll Eyes
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 12:00:30 PM

I'm not even surprised by this. It was just about time, now the next step is for him to say that it was Blockstream or Core. People are so easy to manipulate these days.

I recently converted my node to a classic node
You've joined the dark side.

whoever is doing it! Cheesy
The people making baseless accusations should take a look in the mirror. The chances of a supporter from either side to be behind the DDoS are equal.

bitcoin politics being lot more intresting this days similar to country politics
They're stalling progress and wasting our time.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 12:11:05 PM

Interesting Post  Grin

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 12:11:42 PM

who cares? ddos who you want.

it was hard but we have a great scaling and dev plan now. bullish times ahead.  Smiley

BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 12:46:56 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2016, 02:23:33 PM by BitcoinFX

Actually just posted a basic Anti-DDoS guide for Linux VPS nodes here:

- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1374919.msg14037105#msg14037105

If your nodes get hit, it would at least be interesting to correlate iptables Fail2ban's.

Basic Iptables firewall guide to follow.

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 03:01:59 PM

More of the same. Non-Core clients will suffer from this all the time just like XT nodes suffered. I've had Core and XT nodes recently and I was lucky enough not to get hit, tho...

I was reading the thread on reddit. Someone said "we have to put food on our table one way or another". That's correct, but I think this is an extremely questionable way to do it. I also read the DDoS'er comment about p2p networks and IP crawling on the Bitcoin network... He seems to be quite knowledgeable. Why doesn't he apply this knowledge in favor of our community is beyond me. I'd be working for improving Bitcoin if I understood it at a deep level...

If your nodes get hit, it would at least be interesting to correlate iptables Fail2ban's.

Interesting thread, I'll be sure to give it a read... Smiley
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 05:33:22 PM

DDoS attacks are akin to white blood cells blindly protecting the body from foreign invaders. I still think bigger blocks are probably worth shilling for (whatever that means to you people). But in case I'm wrong, it's sort of comforting to know Bitcoin doesn't give a shit.  

IDK. Undecided

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
tobacco123

Activity: 552

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 05:46:25 PM

- snip -
Maybe increasing block size will decrease miners profit?

Is he hinting that he is "employed" by some miners??

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 05:52:41 PM

That's actually the most probable explanation. Anyone can pay anyone to say X, they do this all the time. That's what basically propaganda is. Not to mention that anyone can create an account in Reddit and say whatever the fuck you want to say.
All those guys that criticized r/bitcoin have made the alternative subreddits an absolute waste of time.
chopstick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 992

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 05:55:37 PM

That's actually the most probable explanation. Anyone can pay anyone to say X, they do this all the time. That's what basically propaganda is. Not to mention that anyone can create an account in Reddit and say whatever the fuck you want to say.
All those guys that criticized r/bitcoin have made the alternative subreddits an absolute waste of time.

Yeah, sure. I'm sure your average classic nerd has 10k a month to drop on DDOS. Keep living in fantasy land.

Whoever is doing this has deep pockets. I would think that points to core.

Are you gonna tell me XT supporters DDoS'd their own nodes on purpose too?

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 05:59:16 PM

Yeah, sure. I'm sure your average classic nerd has 10k a month to drop on DDOS. Keep living in fantasy land.

If you're asking if big companies like coinbase , who clearly are way deep into the Classic drama to now come out without any results, are spending this shit ton of amount for their propaganda. That is exactly what I think

Core's supporters are pretty average pocket, who I don't think will be going for this shit. But well thats my speculation in contrast of your speculation.
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 06:05:17 PM

More of the same. Non-Core clients will suffer from this all the time just like XT nodes suffered. I've had Core and XT nodes recently and I was lucky enough not to get hit, tho...

I was reading the thread on reddit. Someone said "we have to put food on our table one way or another". That's correct, but I think this is an extremely questionable way to do it. I also read the DDoS'er comment about p2p networks and IP crawling on the Bitcoin network... He seems to be quite knowledgeable. Why doesn't he apply this knowledge in favor of our community is beyond me. I'd be working for improving Bitcoin if I understood it at a deep level...

Interesting thread, I'll be sure to give it a read... Smiley

Thanks!

Anyone using windows and running Bitcoin (full nodes or otherwise) might afford some additional protection by using a good P2P IP based firewall, such as PeerBlock.

- https://wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerBlock
- http://www.peerblock.com/releases
- https://www.iblocklist.com/lists

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
Zeke2345

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 06:23:44 PM

Seems the more you get invested into bitcoin, the more you need ti understand this aspect of the net.
Going to have little proxy wars because its impossible for humans to all perceive a issue the same way.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 06:50:59 PM

Can't you just change the user agent? How else would they know which version it is running?

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 09:20:35 PM

DDoS attacks are akin to white blood cells blindly protecting the body from foreign invaders. I still think bigger blocks are probably worth shilling for (whatever that means to you people). But in case I'm wrong, it's sort of comforting to know Bitcoin doesn't give a shit.  

IDK. Undecided

Just the "economic majority" at work, it's a meritocracy you know. Innit?
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 09:43:24 PM

what a numpty, bitcoin will continue on and this moron will eventually give up.  it will be  a waste of money in the long run
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: