Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:12:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think merchants should use Bitcoin or crypto currency  (Read 3956 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
coldice (OP)

Activity: 654
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:08:13 PM

As you have seen that more and more users from India are now getting into crypto currency and companies like zebpay and coinsecure makes it easier to buy bitcoins.
So do you think merchants like flipkart and amazon should use bitcoin as alternate payment gateway.

Back to talk
btc_enigma

Activity: 688
Merit: 567

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 05:24:39 AM

They should, right now its not necessary for them as bitcoin user volume is very low. Also high confirmation time is one of the reason why merchants could be avoiding bitcoin.

ChiPh

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 06:37:43 AM

As you have seen that more and more users from India are now getting into crypto currency and companies like zebpay and coinsecure makes it easier to buy bitcoins.
So do you think merchants like flipkart and amazon should use bitcoin as alternate payment gateway.
For country like India accepting and using in in day to day transactions bitcoin will be a big change. I think flipkart, snapdeal etc. will slowly introduce bitcoin as alternate payment method. Right now we can buy vouchers from them and they are on right track.
learncoin

Activity: 32

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 07:07:09 AM

I guess online retailers would love to use BTC since it will cut their banking fees. Once the retailers starts using bitcoins, the awareness of cryptos will also increase throughout the country.

BUT the problem here for the retails is the uncertainty of government's position on cryptos.
btvGainer
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2016, 10:16:11 PM

They should, right now its not necessary for them as bitcoin user volume is very low. Also high confirmation time is one of the reason why merchants could be avoiding bitcoin.
I dont think confirmation time is any hindrance since they dont have to deliver their products instantly.Even a fastest delivery takes longer than confirmation time
coldice (OP)

Activity: 654

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 02:34:35 AM

I dont think confirmation time is any hindrance since they dont have to deliver their products instantly.Even a fastest delivery takes longer than confirmation time

If they think bitcoin could take long time for confirmation they could use ethereum. Cheesy

Back to talk
GregH37
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1037

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 02:39:21 AM

I think merchants should use bitcoins, as the volume Cap of bitcoins is highest and also it is know by most people.
Other Alts first needs to be converted to bitcoins, before they can be used.
dashingriddler
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 08:27:29 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2016, 03:36:26 AM by dashingriddler

It is one of the great utilities. So yes for sure !

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████▀▀         ▀▀███████▄
    ▄█████▀                  ▀██████
   █████▀      ▄▄▄█████▄▄      ▀█████▄
  █████     ▄██████████████▄     ▀████▄
 █████     ██████▀▀  ▀▀██████▄    ▀████
▐████     █████          █████     █████
█████    ▐████                     ▐████
█████    █████                     ▐████
█████     █████          ▄████▌    █████
 ████▌    ▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀    ▄████▌
 ▀████▄     ▀██████████████▀     ▄████▀
  ▀█████▄     `▀████████▀▀     ▄█████▀
   `██████▄                  ▄██████
     ▀███████▄▄          ▄▄███████▀
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 10:45:39 AM

I doubt they see any benefit in this, especially with wallets like Paytm and Mobikwik already there which are fast and periodically offer big discounts. In fact I have been using Paytm a lot due to the huge cashbacks.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

dashingriddler
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 03:38:09 AM

I doubt they see any benefit in this, especially with wallets like Paytm and Mobikwik already there which are fast and periodically offer big discounts. In fact I have been using Paytm a lot due to the huge cashbacks.
That is obviously temporary. It is not the merchant who is giving you the cashback but these wallet providers themselves. Same as uber offering 7INR per km rides. It will eventually stop some day when they can no more raise money. From what I have heard, paytm has burnt 30% of their recent raise just for giving discounts and cashbacks.

Regards

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 08:17:09 AM

That is obviously temporary. It is not the merchant who is giving you the cashback but these wallet providers themselves. Same as uber offering 7INR per km rides. It will eventually stop some day when they can no more raise money. From what I have heard, paytm has burnt 30% of their recent raise just for giving discounts and cashbacks.

Regards

Thank you Paytm for burning money, I have saved a lot buying expensive stuff like laptop and air conditioners Grin

Still, in the future I am more likely to use Paytm than Bitcoin as payment method as a customer, and this come from someone who has been in Bitcoins for a few years now. Unless there is a benefit in using Bitcoins I don't see it catching on.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

dashingriddler
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 10:34:04 AM

Regards

Thank you Paytm for burning money, I have saved a lot buying expensive stuff like laptop and air conditioners Grin

Still, in the future I am more likely to use Paytm than Bitcoin as payment method as a customer, and this come from someone who has been in Bitcoins for a few years now. Unless there is a benefit in using Bitcoins I don't see it catching on.
Then you will have to wait for some bitcoin company to start throwing in discounts and cashbacks left and right as they earnt or raised tons of money. May not happen in near future i believe.

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

btcbunny

Activity: 29

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 01:50:39 PM

i think using crypto currencies may not be as absurd or unimaginable as many might think.
I personally think that incorporating bitcoins as a method of payment on such e-commercial giants might increase awareness of general masses into the world of cryptocurrency and might even result in an increase in our online cryptocurrency world
dashingriddler
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 03:39:38 PM

i think using crypto currencies may not be as absurd or unimaginable as many might think.
I personally think that incorporating bitcoins as a method of payment on such e-commercial giants might increase awareness of general masses into the world of cryptocurrency and might even result in an increase in our online cryptocurrency world

+1

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2016, 06:17:44 PM

Here is an article penned by Elizabeth. Quite a strong read

http://blog.coinsecure.in/post/142404073145/why-accept-payment-in-bitcoin

Can also add that Bitcoin does not expose the customer to giving up his information at the Point of Sale to/ through the merchant.

jonatuzc

Merit: 501

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 03:32:05 PM

I think both can be used.
Wapinter
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 09:27:58 PM

Here is an article penned by Elizabeth. Quite a strong read

http://blog.coinsecure.in/post/142404073145/why-accept-payment-in-bitcoin

Can also add that Bitcoin does not expose the customer to giving up his information at the Point of Sale to/ through the merchant.
Nice article but
"... additionally eliminating any risk of fraud."
Imo chances of fraud in bitcoin are more than any other payment system because
1.Even stolen bitcoin can be spent anywhere anonymously.
2.Chargeback work as safeguard for buyer

Also
"... Bitcoin
is a trustless system and more secure.
With credit and debit cards, one makes
a transaction and trusts that the
individual on the other end will take
out only the agreed upon value."
In offline purchase,buyer enters the amount to be paid in pos,sellers can not change it.
I however agree to below in toto
"...
Online purchase require otp sent to cardholder registered mobile number.
As Bitcoin is a global technology,
Bitcoin acceptance enables merchants
to accept payment from individuals
around the world. Paypal, debit cards
and credit cards simply do not have
the extent of a global reach that
Bitcoin has."

GregH37
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1037

View Profile
April 14, 2016, 08:08:03 AM

I think both can be used.

Using both can be a good idea. You can enjoy benefits of both  Bitcoin and crypto currency
btvGainer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2016, 07:27:18 PM

If course they should accept bitcoin payment also but the question is why would they do this?they are the leaders in their niche and they wont see any additional advantage of using bitcoin payment gateway.Remember most of Indians prefer COD payment option anyway.Adding one more option would increase their business.Nobody is holding their purchase from these sites because they dont have option to pay with bitcoin
bitcoinisfurture

Activity: 700

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 05:14:52 AM

I would suggest yes if they can have an immediate sale option as price fluctuations will not be that big criteria if they are getting the rate on the spot which they required. For this we already have exchanges in India. Another thing will be the quick withdrawal process since they all merchants will require easy acces to thier money unless they want to invest and keep it for long in Bitcoin is different story.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: