Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:45:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH really becoming a new BTC  (Read 5646 times)
razen489

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 03:41:27 PM

It is still mind boggling that for Ether with the current price
https://www.coingecko.com/en/price_charts/ethereum/usd

There isnot that many wallet services, vibrant exchanges with balanced volumes in comparison to bitcoin

pimpjuice

Activity: 164

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 03:57:36 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2016, 04:12:21 PM by pimpjuice

I don't believe Bitcoin will be the one and only and I think Ether has a lot of potential but they have different utilities.

Despite what people are saying Bitcoin has a HUGE advantage over other coins.  The initial distribution.
Since the rise of Bitcoin that made many early investors a lot of money there has been a wave of new investors looking to get rich quick with other coins. Speculation is pushing the prices of these other coins past their actually value based on real world use.

I often compare it to the sports card bubble of the late 80's and 90's.  
Before the 80's kids collected sports cards but did not know their actual future value.  They would put them in the spokes of their bikes, glue them to a book, or store them in their wallet. Eventually parents threw them away, they were destroyed, or they were sold with the house they grew up in. When the 80's rolled around and the demand grew for these sports cards and people began cashing in on their childhood investments. The sports card craze had begun and all of a sudden everyone was collecting sports cards. They were kept fresh in their display cases, nothing was destroyed in hopes that someday they could also reap the rewards of the past. While this occurred companies like Topps, Upperdeck, Donruss, etc. over produced to keep up with demand. Now those cards are worth nothing because they were over produced and most still exist. Bitcoin is very similar. They were lost, destroyed, given away, etc. and when the value of Bitcoin blew up everyone wanted to jump on the train. Now, just like the sports card bubble, altcoins are being overproduced and overbought. Will we have the same conclusion?
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 04:15:38 PM

I don't believe Bitcoin will be the one and only and I think Ether has a lot of potential but they have different utilities.

Despite what people are saying Bitcoin has a HUGE advantage over other coins.  The initial distribution.
Since the rise of Bitcoin that made many early investors a lot of money there has been a wave of new investors looking to get rich quick with other coins. Speculation is pushing the prices of these other coins past their actually value based on real world use.

Before the 80's kids collected sports cards but did not know their actual future value.  They would put them in the spokes of their bikes, glue them to a book, or store them in their wallet. Eventually parents threw them away, they were destroyed, or they were sold with the house they grew up in. When the 80's rolled around and the demand grew for these sports cards and people began cashing in on their childhood investments. The sports card craze had begun and all of a sudden everyone was collecting sports cards. They were kept fresh in their display cases, nothing was destroyed in hopes that someday they could also reap the rewards of the past. While this occurred companies like Topps, Upperdeck, Donruss, etc. over produced to keep up with demand. Now those cards are worth nothing because they were over produced and most still exist. Bitcoin is very similar. They were lost, destroyed, given away, etc. and when the value of Bitcoin blew up everyone wanted to jump on the train. Now, just like the sports card bubble, altcoins are being overproduced and overbought. Will we have the same conclusion?

If you are looking at BTC purely as a store of value, an asset, then you have a point.

But if you want a currency - to be able to buy and sell things with it, to use it to move money around the world - it's increasingly looking like BTC will fail at this because of the blocksize limits.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
pimpjuice

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 04:27:24 PM

If you are looking at BTC purely as a store of value, an asset, then you have a point.

But if you want a currency - to be able to buy and sell things with it, to use it to move money around the world - it's increasingly looking like BTC will fail at this because of the blocksize limits.

Yep, I agree. I believe Bitcoin will be a better version of gold in an age where governments go from paper currency to digital. The only coin/token I truly believe in other than btc is xrp but xrp will be used behind the scenes by market makers to connect permissioned networks filled with fiat IOUs and most people won't even know about it. Ethereum's idea of smart contracts is really cool but I am hesitant to make judgement about ether - I feel it is too early.
mrcashking

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 04:36:30 PM

Some of you don't have a clue on what you are talking about. Ethereum was crowdfunded with about $18,5 million! What was the situation with Bitcoin (despite the premine, which can be evaluated nowdays, and as far as I know, it is still intact)? You can't compare Ethereum with Bitcoin, because of 1 simple reason (not 10): One is revolution, and the other is a paid project. Period.
I don't think thats true with Premine cause it will be the same "share for the developers" type of thing but it would be more risky than ICO for sure.
However,Bitcoin has its worth and was very creative at first but that doesn't means something new with much better features cannot surpass it and with the sense less drama we are seeing since months people might get more inclined towards a switch but it is not that easy how people think anyways.
Hofer

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 04:55:48 PM

I do not think that becoming the new BTC would be best, bitcoin is set to fail. Ethereum is still subject to mining, which sets eutherum at a major disadvantage. I have invested in a coin of my choice "Rimbit" its gotten rid of mining and instead has added interest. If anyone is intrested go to www.rimbit.com
pimpjuice

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 05:19:04 PM

I do not think that becoming the new BTC would be best, bitcoin is set to fail. Ethereum is still subject to mining, which sets eutherum at a major disadvantage. I have invested in a coin of my choice "Rimbit" its gotten rid of mining and instead has added interest. If anyone is intrested go to www.rimbit.com

What is your idea of failing?  Not living up to the speculators concept of it taking over the world so they could increase it's potential value by raising it's possible market cap?  If Bitcoin takes over a large portion of the gold market, is that considered failure?
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 05:26:11 PM

If you are looking at BTC purely as a store of value, an asset, then you have a point

What other point is there if you are only investing ?

Blocksize limits have nothing to do with BItcoin's ability to "function as a currency".

It takes between a day and 3 days for the fiat clearing system to process a dollar transaction. Yet you only wait 3 seconds in the supermarket queue for your payment to be taken. Similarly, blockchain performance does not determine an asset's suitability as a 'currency'. Its performance as a store of value does.
UKBob

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

I like Ethereum and Rimbit

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 06:40:46 PM

What is your idea of failing?  Not living up to the speculators concept of it taking over the world so they could increase it's potential value by raising it's possible market cap?  If Bitcoin takes over a large portion of the gold market, is that considered failure?

BTC will fail because it is controlled by a few China based miners.  It is not healthy, not sustainable and will lead to BTCs downfall.

RM6kf3k6d12nsTkV3B7amvsTUXcyFuFWaz
pimpjuice

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 07:06:32 PM

BTC will fail because it is controlled by a few China based miners.  It is not healthy, not sustainable and will lead to BTCs downfall.

I refuse to listen to Mike Hearn's emotional driven rants. Bitcoin has died hundreds of times while rimbit has no life to begin with.
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2016, 07:09:11 PM

Some of you don't have a clue on what you are talking about. Ethereum was crowdfunded with about $18,5 million! What was the situation with Bitcoin (despite the premine, which can be evaluated nowdays, and as far as I know, it is still intact)? You can't compare Ethereum with Bitcoin, because of 1 simple reason (not 10): One is revolution, and the other is a paid project. Period.
I don't think thats true with Premine cause it will be the same "share for the developers" type of thing but it would be more risky than ICO for sure.
However,Bitcoin has its worth and was very creative at first but that doesn't means something new with much better features cannot surpass it and with the sense less drama we are seeing since months people might get more inclined towards a switch but it is not that easy how people think anyways.

Agreed! The majority of the world still don't understand Bitcoin. Ethereum is even more sophisticated, but that doesn't mean it will surpass Bitcoin. Sometimes simplicity is better. Like the money. You have $100 and you know how much they worth. You go to the bank, make a deposit, receive a receipt for it and you go home. Or buy something... whatever. It's not your problem (or job) to understand how those $100 will go from your account to another. Try to explain that to "ordinary" people, but use Ethereum instead. There are bunch of people who are yelling: "Ethereum this, Ethereum that" (applies to all of the cryptocurrencies they are interested in), but at the end, technology can become great if majority of people accept it.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 07:23:51 PM

quit bitchin and buy eth, the coin is the future and thats that

No. That isn't "that".

Think of it this way. A 100 dollar bill is printed on paper. The bill is the contract and the paper is the carrier of that contract.

By buying Ethereum tokens, you're investing in the paper, not the contract. You have no rights to the contract just because you own some of the tokens that it's "printed on'.

Bitcoin, on the other hand, is a bearer token. What that means is that the token IS the contract.

So, even though Ethereum may be "the future" in terms of technological and commercial decentralisation, Ether tokens are not the future in terms of store of value.

You're holding hot air. (Hot air that's in limitless supply by the way, so the actual stuff might be a better buy  Wink  )

Good point & really well said.
There really needs to be a lot more clarity to what ETH is.
And the endless comparisons to Bitcoin keep coming.
If this was my forum i would sticky what you said at the top of the forum section here LOL

FUD first & ask questions later™
stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2016, 10:54:43 PM

What he said was a complete load of utter nonsense. 

There is no difference AT ALL between the nature of ETH and the nature of BTC.

Fucking FUDing retards in this place got used to not having me around.

Goddamn it.  Someone needs to show these people a thing or two.

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
deadpoolx

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 02:44:32 AM

Take it easy... Many things to solve:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1361602.0
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 04:36:57 AM

Someone needs to show these people a thing or two?
ORLY ?
..is there a "DAPP" for that?  Grin

And you know what i have been thinking? (I may have to launch a topic on the matter)
Who are you stoat?

Really, i would love to know where these NEW users here came from EXACTLY coinciding with
a massive spammy hype campaign here on the forum.. a bunch of NEW accounts popped here
all at once flooding this place with deceitful Ethereum propaganda.
And the creepy weird part is all of these NEW users all rail & rant on like the holiest of holy super experts on Crypto
..with their post count at 8 and their registration time at 2 weeks.

@stoat
Just who are you ?
And, what qualifications and relevant experience do you have in the crypto scene ?
Why is it you demand to be the authority on this stuff and insist on lecturing Hero & Legend accounts here ?
Really, in any other forum in the world this shit just wouldn't fly!

I think we need to re-instate the "Nooby Jail" then i would not have had to run around exposing your fraud.
After all i had to go through the probationary period ..unlike you and your half dozen co-ETH-spammers.

WHO ARE YOU STOAT ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
UKBob

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

I like Ethereum and Rimbit

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 07:57:41 AM

The centralization of BTC will lead to its downfall.  Eth is possibly a lot of smoke and mirrors but it is a fun ride just now and it has potential to go massive before common sense prevails.  It does have potential, at least if the hype is believed.  But it can also go down the dead end route that BTC has gone.

RM6kf3k6d12nsTkV3B7amvsTUXcyFuFWaz
TheOperator17

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 08:03:57 AM

ORLY ?
..is there a "DAPP" for that?  Grin

And you know what i have been thinking? (I may have to launch a topic on the matter)
Who are you stoat?

Really, i would love to know where these NEW users here came from EXACTLY coinciding with
a massive spammy hype campaign here on the forum.. a bunch of NEW accounts popped here
all at once flooding this place with deceitful Ethereum propaganda.
And the creepy weird part is all of these NEW users all rail & rant on like the holiest of holy super experts on Crypto
..with their post count at 8 and their registration time at 2 weeks.

@stoat
Just who are you ?
And, what qualifications and relevant experience do you have in the crypto scene ?
Why is it you demand to be the authority on this stuff and insist on lecturing Hero & Legend accounts here ?
Really, in any other forum in the world this shit just wouldn't fly!

I think we need to re-instate the "Nooby Jail" then i would not have had to run around exposing your fraud.
After all i had to go through the probationary period ..unlike you and your half dozen co-ETH-spammers.

WHO ARE YOU STOAT ?

I've been looking into cryptos lately and I can't help but notice that EVERYONE seems to be talking about ETH. I want to invest but it seems too good to be true, and that tells me that it is..I don't know any of the underlying technology though so it's hard to discern the truth(much like any topic widely debated on the internet).  You seem to be calling it like you see it..would you mind giving me a laymans explanation of what all this ETH hype is about?
TheOperator17

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 08:14:42 AM

The centralization of BTC will lead to its downfall.  Eth is possibly a lot of smoke and mirrors but it is a fun ride just now and it has potential to go massive before common sense prevails.  It does have potential, at least if the hype is believed.  But it can also go down the dead end route that BTC has gone.

What makes ETH possibly smoke and mirrors and how has bitcoin gone down a dead end route? I am truthfully curious why you say those things.  I know little to nothing about ETH and from what I've seen with bitcoin, it is doing quite well and has been for a long time.
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2016, 08:28:34 AM

a little nervous, are we?

btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2016, 08:33:33 AM

1.  Community is better
2.  Faster
3. Ready to scale
4. More versatile
5. More decentralised
6. Not controlled by chinese miners
7. Not run by idiots
8. More developers
9. Used by banks
10. Not used by pedophiles

That 10th reason sounds just stupid because even if it's true right now, it's totally irrelevant.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: