Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:20:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paying for help  (Read 1226 times)
Icy- (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:26:45 AM

Hello, I just discovered and read about bitcoin today! I've read a lot about bitcoin and how it works, but I'd like to get some personal help on how to get started mining, do I just need to download it and just keep it running on my PC?

If anyone with AIM is willing to help me get this setup I'll gladly send half of my first block made to you to spoon feed me directions.

My laptop was bought around 3 years ago costing me over $1,000, so I'm sure its still decent enough to make some profit.

Thanks.

Chris

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bullox

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:30:35 AM

Hello, I just discovered and read about bitcoin today! I've read a lot about bitcoin and how it works, but I'd like to get some personal help on how to get started mining, do I just need to download it and just keep it running on my PC?

If anyone with AIM is willing to help me get this setup I'll gladly send half of my first block made to you to spoon feed me directions.

My laptop was bought around 3 years ago costing me over $1,000, so I'm sure its still decent enough to make some profit.

Thanks.

Chris
Unfortunately probably not.

Laptops have integrated video cards, which serve a great purpose, but do not do well with the specialized needs of bitcoin.

If you are still willing to kick in some hashing power to the network, check out the "poclbm" mining program and the btcguild.com pool.   Create a shortcut to the program as described by BTCguilds FAQ, and see what you get.

If you're getting under 10000Khash/sec (10Mhash) its probably not electrically efficient to do make money off it.  Im no genius with laptop power consumption though,
Rodyland

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:32:53 AM

You can't mine profitably nowadays using your CPU, you must use a GPU.  Using a CPU it costs you more in electricity than the bitcoins are worth.  So unless your electricity is free, you need a GPU.

I very much doubt your 3 year old laptop has a GPU capable of mining.  ATI GPUs are best, Radeon HD 5XXX models and later (must support OpenCL).  You can mine with Nvidia GPUs, but they are _significantly_ worse at it than ATI.

As for "having a play", download the bitcoin client, run it (it'll take some time to download the current blockchain - the current record of all transactions), and once it's up to date you can have a play.

See if you can find someone to give you a few bitcents (there used to be a site called the bitcoin faucet that would give away bitcoins, last I checked they'd run out), watch the bitcoins "magically" appear in your account.

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
Freakin

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:32:56 AM

Your laptop is almost certainly not decent enough to make a profit.  

What video card is in your laptop?  Unless you got a gaming specific laptop with an ATI chipset it will not be worth your time/energy and could lead to frying your graphics card due to heat.

This isn't free money.  You are competing against people who have custom-built computers with video cards that are now twice the price they were 2 weeks ago.  Some miners have whole datacenters devoted to mining.  If you want to cash in on the bitcoin craze you'll either need to buy a new desktop computer for mining or buy bitcoins directly and hope for the same rapid appreciation we've been seeing.

V2-V3

Activity: 227

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:35:00 AM

Thanks.

Chris

Icy, your laptop might not generate the hashing power you want to find a block in a reasonable amount of time so I recommend you join a mining pool to give you faster and more consistent payouts.
BitClockers has a complete guide on how to get started available here
Convery

Activity: 966
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:50:40 AM

My laptop that was 3400€ two years ago can only hash for 25Mhash/s so I doubt your will do better..

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
PcChip

Activity: 418
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:59:44 AM

Thanks.
Chris

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

That is all.

Legacy signature from 2011: 
All rates with Phoenix 1.50 / PhatK
5850 - 400 MH/s  |  5850 - 355 MH/s | 5830 - 310 MH/s  |  GTX570 - 115 MH/s | 5770 - 210 MH/s | 5770 - 200 MH/s
Burt

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:19:14 AM

I find it funny how everyone is just bashing this guy lol
Icy- (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:24:26 AM

I find it funny how everyone is just bashing this guy lol

Only you and that one other guy. Typical troll. Cheesy
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:14:49 AM

My IBM PowerPc cost $14,000 in 1993 so it must be excellent for mining. Why am I only getting 26khash/s.

It says: powerful computing for the entire family. I want my money. You guys owe me.
This thing takes up half of my room and I'm earning 2 cents per day. This is not right or fair. I will sue Mt Gox.

My uncle knows the emperor of Japan. The yakuza will cut your pinky if I don't get my bitcoins. And I'm on a hunger strike already.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 08:20:34 AM

Here since im new i will help you...
step 1.Spend the next 65 hours reading everything
step 2.Then spend like 1100 bucks
step 3.Then you can mine efficiently.
O, if you dont purchase that hardware from a frys electronics that is, where it will most certainly be shit, go to frys and you will only make it to the end of step two.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:24:18 AM

mining is largely unprofitable, but the community needs it.
if you not are a a Geek, don't miner. sell stuff, insted its way easier and more noob frendly..

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
m4rkiz

Activity: 170

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:21:18 AM

mining is largely unprofitable

yeah, sure...
you guys still missing that part in which i can sell my mining rigs as gaming pc's after 6 months for ~75% of purchasing costs

so how exactly it is unprofitable if i get more than $30 daily from each rig fitted with 5970+5870?

sure, difficulty is increasing but so far price goes up as well, unless all this btc thing collapse it is quite hard to loose any money on mining this days
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:26:49 AM

mining is largely unprofitable

yeah, sure...
you guys still missing that part in which i can sell my mining rigs as gaming pc's after 6 months for ~75% of purchasing costs

so how exactly it is unprofitable if i get more than $30 daily from each rig fitted with 5970+5870?

sure, difficulty is increasing but so far price goes up as well, unless all btc thing collapses it is quite hard to loose any money on mining this days

correction: its more the noobish attitude i think is unprofitable.
most new user is looking for the free money, and wants to go solo cpumining... !!!
but there they are not free, they comes at a cost. which is relatively large investments.
andi think the prices will fall some time soon, because it has not been a steady growth, it has nearly only been big buyers who had buyed.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: