Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:15:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin themed plastic wallet - 3d printed!  (Read 2308 times)
arklan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 12:37:23 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2013, 03:13:23 PM by arklan

hey guys. so i just finished the model for my new "wallet". it's basically a money clip with a credit card holder attached. the clip has the bitcoin logo on it.

i made this just for my own personal use as i usually only carry 3 or so cards at any time and no cash. my current leather wallet, i realized, is crazy thick.

thoughts? http://shpws.me/ndeK

note this is a 3d model only right now. i haven't any money to order a printed copy yet. also, feel free to look at my other models and such. and if anyone has anything they'd like modeled for printing (or otherwise) let me know. Cheesy

i don't post much, but this space for rent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitfarmer

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 01:06:42 PM

Looks good, but it seems a little small to be practical to replace a wallet.
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 02:34:01 PM

well, this was designed for my personally, as i said. i could easily expand it for more cards and the like.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 02:41:57 PM

Dude, that's clever!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Beefsock

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 02:43:39 PM

I like it. Wallets are way too big and clunky and soon enough will be a thing of the past. The only thing I don't like is the curved plastic strips on the back, I would like it better if it were entirely solid or straight strips. Still though, pretty cool - nice work.
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 02:43:47 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2013, 03:14:35 PM by arklan

Dude, that's clever!

thanks! Cheesy

I like it. Wallets are way too big and clunky and soon enough will be a thing of the past. The only thing I don't like is the curved plastic strips on the back, I would like it better if it were entirely solid or straight strips. Still though, pretty cool - nice work.

thanks, fair critique. i could upload another version with straight strips (solid back would increase cost) easily, if there's any purchasing interest. Cheesy and have! see? easy. Cheesy

i'm might try and put another bitcoin logo on the back and see how that looks.

Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 10:24:33 PM

AWESOME.

I will be printing one as soon as I can...
redbeans2012

Activity: 887
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 10:48:36 PM

Are you using Rhino 3d?

Would love to get a good copy of it.  I cant afford to buy it. :p
Phraust

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 11:17:53 PM

Are you using Rhino 3d?

If you've got a mac, you can beta test it for free.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 02:51:08 AM

if this is meant to be put in your back pocket you might want to round out the edges.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 04:21:28 AM

carrying a credit card instead of cash is the opposite of my vision of a bitcoin philosophy, especially the anonymity part.
If it wasn't for my driving license I'd prefer to carry cash only and a bitcoin enabled card / device / smartphone.

I carry for safety a 50 or 100$ bill folded into a hidden part of my wallet.

Looking at your design, I'd offset that curved clip so we could drag the card out with a finger.
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:09:28 AM

carrying a credit card instead of cash is the opposite of my vision of a bitcoin philosophy, especially the anonymity part.
If it wasn't for my driving license I'd prefer to carry cash only and a bitcoin enabled card / device / smartphone.

I carry for safety a 50 or 100$ bill folded into a hidden part of my wallet.

Looking at your design, I'd offset that curved clip so we could drag the card out with a finger.

the back is just a border, so there's plenty of space to grab a card that way. though come to think of it, i want ot put my ID there so i don't have to take it out to show it... hmm. i'll think on this.

if this is meant to be put in your back pocket you might want to round out the edges.

i keep my wallet in my front pocket, personally. and they are rounded, .3mm on each edge. the walls are only 1mm thick, so i could do much more without compromising strength or thickening it up, which would increase cost. ideally, i'd order one myself and test it before i actually offered it for sale. shame i'm broke, eh?

Are you using Rhino 3d?

nope, 3ds max. started using it was back in the late 90's in highschool, stuck with it since.

AWESOME.

I will be printing one as soon as I can...

brilliant!

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2113

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 09:41:41 PM

+1. Though you may get sued by Steve Jobs.

Rather than thickening it for more rounded corners, you could just make it a bit wider on the thin edges

Now, if you were to have the public key embedded in the plastic, possibly in a contrasting color...

Phraust

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 09:55:08 PM

I'm hoping that my tax return this gets gets me enough to afford one of those fancy MakerBot x2's.  If I can pull it off, I'd gladly sell print time for BTC.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2113

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 10:00:44 PM

I'm hoping that my tax return this gets gets me enough to afford one of those fancy MakerBot x2's.  If I can pull it off, I'd gladly sell print time for BTC.

Ouch. 8 weeks lead time. I'm hoping to get into 3d printing soon but I'll probably go with one of the more homebrew solutions. OTOH, I kinda got excited by cnc aluminum milling over the weekend. Decisions, decisions...

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 10:42:38 PM

i know.  those look really cool.
Phraust

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 11:25:38 PM

... Ouch. 8 weeks lead time ...

8 Weeks, no biggy.  I've waited for pre-order FPGAs from BFL, and I'm waiting for pre-order ASICs from them too, lol.  It's the price to be paid for edge of the envelope tech. Cheesy
jothan

Activity: 184

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 12:41:58 AM

I have a RepRap MendelMax, I could print something for you in ABS (recommended if it is going in your pockets). I only have a single extruder fitted to my machine (I only have single material at a time capability at the moment).

Your design, as it looks from the screenshot would be quite hard to print, it will definitively require support structures, those leave marks. With a sanding, heat gun treatement and an acetone vapor treatement, I could probably pull it off.

PM me if you are interested. Make me an offer Smiley. I will only expect any payment after you are satisfied (pictures, shipped, etc...).

Here are my Thingiverse credentials: http://www.thingiverse.com/jothan/designs

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:54:42 AM

I have a RepRap MendelMax, I could print something for you in ABS (recommended if it is going in your pockets). I only have a single extruder fitted to my machine (I only have single material at a time capability at the moment).

Your design, as it looks from the screenshot would be quite hard to print, it will definitively require support structures, those leave marks. With a sanding, heat gun treatement and an acetone vapor treatement, I could probably pull it off.

PM me if you are interested. Make me an offer Smiley. I will only expect any payment after you are satisfied (pictures, shipped, etc...).

and this is precisely why i don't like RepRaps. without support structures, it's really limited as a 3d printer. shapeways offers printing in nylon based plastics (selective laser sintering of powder) a sandstone like material and steel (printing glue into a powder) and a few others too. great results, i've found. for now, jothan, i'll pass. (besides, i don't have any money to pay you...)

jothan

Activity: 184

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:48:15 PM

and this is precisely why i don't like RepRaps. without support structures, it's really limited as a 3d printer. shapeways offers printing in nylon based plastics (selective laser sintering of powder) a sandstone like material and steel (printing glue into a powder) and a few others too. great results, i've found. for now, jothan, i'll pass. (besides, i don't have any money to pay you...)

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to move to printing nylon and polycarbonate this year if the prusa nozzle comes out one day. No problem for passing, I am always eagerly looking for a new challenge. Smiley

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: