Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:31:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet!  (Read 45625 times)
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 10:56:53 PM

GUYS! IT'S HERE!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
constitution

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:51:06 PM

Hardware is a tough industry as I've come to learn. You don't get anywhere in hardware without burning money. The question then is if you're able to replenish it or not. I can safely say that as an open source project, I have no confidence in the bitcoin community's ability to support its large overhead for manufacturing as there just isn't a large enough market for such a device.

That said, I have come to grow fond of the principles of open source since coming to the Bitcoin community and I hope to appreciate it even moreso as I work on open source projects this year. Here's to broader minds and strokes in 2013.

Pay back your debts, then you can re-join the community..
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 08:11:11 PM

Hardware is a tough industry as I've come to learn. You don't get anywhere in hardware without burning money. The question then is if you're able to replenish it or not. I can safely say that as an open source project, I have no confidence in the bitcoin community's ability to support its large overhead for manufacturing as there just isn't a large enough market for such a device.

That said, I have come to grow fond of the principles of open source since coming to the Bitcoin community and I hope to appreciate it even moreso as I work on open source projects this year. Here's to broader minds and strokes in 2013.

Pay back your debts, then you can re-join the community..

I lol'ed

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 08:38:22 PM

I think it was suggested before, somewhere.
It seems like hardware is the main moneyburner here.

Why invent it again?
Use some small device with a bit cpu power, a good enough display, battery, usb connection and buttons.
Sounds familiar?
--> MP3 Player <--

Now I didn't research into this much. However, I found http://www.rockbox.org/ which replaces the stock firmware on a lot of mp3 players. We may use it directly, or parts of it, or just use it as a pointer to see which mp3 players are usable.

How about "sandisk clip":

Or "SanDisk Sansa c200":

edit:
even much more simple and surely cheaper, not based on rockbox:
http://www.s1mp3.org/en/docs_userguide.php

I would prefer one of the first two players..

I would use one of those. And buy a reprogrammed one, or maybe do it myself and send money in the direction of the firmware programmers.

Now these are strictly offline. No Paypal possible on these, as someone shouted on the original vapor-Ellet.. But good enough to sign transactions, for sure!

So, why are people burning truckloads of money on re-inventing the hardware? It's all in the software anyway!

Ente
wjohnnyw

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 08:45:22 PM

The future looks great  Roll Eyes
paybitcoin

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

1h79nc

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 10:15:25 PM

I think it was suggested before, somewhere.
It seems like hardware is the main moneyburner here.

Why invent it again?
Use some small device with a bit cpu power, a good enough display, battery, usb connection and buttons.
Sounds familiar?
--> MP3 Player <--

So, why are people burning truckloads of money on re-inventing the hardware? It's all in the software anyway!

Ente

Hi Ente,

This is a very good point, and can be part of a very good solution. Going with a rockbox platform, you would get a great development environment (qemu target simulation) and some reference platforms that work well with Rockbox. I can think of some downsides:

1 - Ability to scale, not tied to a manufacturer. It is very important to be free from a certain product lifecycle. If the vendor stops making your reference platform, you get kinda stuck. Designing it yourself gets you 5-10 years of useful life.
2 - Single reference platform. Rockbox looks like it is very platform-independent. It is nice to keep things simple with a single platform, though that isn't a big issue, just pick one and turn away users that have another one (or get them to port it.) Trying to debug dozens of USB HID implementations can be tedious.
3 - Crypto-specific requirements. It is pretty important to have a good hardware random number generator on board, to create a strong private key and to limit some attacks.

Most importantly,

4 - Developing hardware is kick ass, and has a reasonably low barrier to entry. Even if you will never get to the quantities that would make your device cheaper than an MP3 device, it is still a great experience and solves all of the above problems. You also get a nice development environment, more security, and can optimize for Bitcoin-specific use cases. There is a strong open-source mentality around Bitcoin, and using open hardware fits better than an off-the-shelf retrofit.

My 2 mBTC. Having Bitcoin wallet software integrated on top of Rockbox would still be sweet.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:15:56 AM

I see your point, paybtc!
Of course I would prefer a "dedicated" wallet hardware.
It seems a lot of effort was put into the Ellet (at least the announcements was made to sound like it). Nevertheless, the original post was on 07.June.2012, 02:14:52 and now it seems to be on halt, precisely because of the hardware..
Maybe Bitcoin is still too small for such a hardware project. Other hardwareprojects are crashing and burning in these very days, in a spectacular way.. ;-)

Hardware random number generator - this might be a KO-criterium , thanks for the hint!

I am sure we will eventually hold a neat dedicated piece of bitcoinhardware in our hands!

Ente
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 01:34:09 PM

or something like this?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655017763/cst-01-the-worlds-thinnest-watch
edit one more:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android?ref=most-funded

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 02:20:59 PM

i second the bitcoinwallet as rockbox-plugin motion.
paybitcoin

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

1h79nc

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 06:21:12 AM

I see your point, paybtc!
Of course I would prefer a "dedicated" wallet hardware.
It seems a lot of effort was put into the Ellet (at least the announcements was made to sound like it). Nevertheless, the original post was on 07.June.2012, 02:14:52 and now it seems to be on halt, precisely because of the hardware..
Maybe Bitcoin is still too small for such a hardware project. Other hardwareprojects are crashing and burning in these very days, in a spectacular way.. ;-)

Hardware random number generator - this might be a KO-criterium , thanks for the hint!

I am sure we will eventually hold a neat dedicated piece of bitcoinhardware in our hands!

Ente
Designing hardware is definitely difficult and can be expensive, and I believe that this project was a bit too broad in its goals (especially as one of the first devices in an unknown market.)

However, there are actually some hardware wallets for Bitcoin in the works right now!!!

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Hardware_wallet
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]  All
  Print  

Jump to: