Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:23:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to fight a domain squatter?  (Read 643 times)
antonio123 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 09:14:49 PM

Hi,

A domain I want for a Bitcoin related project is being squatted by http://www.hugedomains.com for around 2000$. Is it possible to fight them and acquire it for a reasonable price, or should I just buy the equivalent .NET domain.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 09:18:05 PM

Either get the .net domain or come up with something more original on a .com address, domain squatters are called that for a reason, they usually grab this sort of stuff hoping that some big company will come along and buy it off them so they can use a fairly generic website name.
Kummerf

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:05:45 PM

Just get the .net domain. It will be fine.

swagkiller69

Activity: 33

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 12:13:40 AM

I'd go with the .net or get in contact with the squatter and try and get a way better deal, bearing in mind they're probably paying like £4 for the domain, you could snag it from them for £100 maybe depending on how many offers they've had
Iseecookies

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 12:27:41 AM

I heard the best way is to light the place on fire after chaining the doors. So maybe hack his site and leave stuff about screwing chickens or spying on the neighbor with his drone.
Knew a guy once that left fake official letters under the wipers of cars in a area close to this other guys house. Something about being jaded over him sleeping with his x. So the letter described the guy banging his x and said to watch your dogs. He was a known dog buggerer. Laughed thinking about it.
BitSmashit33

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 12:29:26 AM

Getting .net is not fine. If you build a brand around it, you will suffer later on.
Just offer then 1/5 of the price. Usually they will agree on any price, just to sell it.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16586

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2016, 12:38:39 AM

The best way to fight this, is not to buy it. Up to you to pick a different name, or a different top level domain.

aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 05:38:55 PM

I don't think you can fight a domain squatter.  They have the rights to the domain.  All you can do is either buy it or come up with a different domain.
SnukeySnizz

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 05:42:05 PM

Hi,

A domain I want for a Bitcoin related project is being squatted by http://www.hugedomains.com for around 2000$. Is it possible to fight them and acquire it for a reasonable price, or should I just buy the equivalent .NET domain.

Contact them and try negotiate a better price. Usually they will sell for way less than the advertised price. Or you could try find another domain. If I was you I'd go for a .io domain as there are lots of good options available and people usually mix up .com/net/org, .io is easier to remember I find.
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1176

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 08:33:52 PM

I've found companies like huge domains are usually pretty solid on their price, trying to haggle may only push the price higher and if you're serious about the idea then $2,000 should be a drop in the ocean of what you can earn. At least they are not asking crazy prices like tens or hundreds of thousands.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
sase007

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 08:37:49 PM

Hi,

As they haven't been able to sell the domain. I would suggest you contact them and see the best price they can do it for.
See how long the domain is renewed for and if it is transferrable (it should be) and then give them a reasonable ffer. I'd suggest you try to ask for it for about $5-10 first ad see waht they say (no one (that is sane) will buy it for $2000)
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 11:50:20 PM

I was looking for domains the other day and .com is not the only good one.
Of course it is the most used one, but other one's are good enough as well.
Since 2000$ for a domain name is quite a lot if you can just change it to .info .biz. .co .net

And Indeed I wouldn't fight them just send them a offer, and see how they respond.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2016, 12:15:06 AM

I'd like to get suespammers.org back for all the users who had it taken from us without warning, unable to do password recovery ever again.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Batmanvsduecare

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 01:03:07 AM

How do they pay in maintaining the domains?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: