Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:49:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins and Terrorism  (Read 4180 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 12:39:05 AM

Do you think governments will use terrorism as a reason to make anti bitcoin laws?
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 4505

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 01:22:09 AM

No. But I think they will use terrorism and other criminal activities as a reason to enforce already existing KYC and AML laws on bitcoin based businesses just like they do with businesses that use other currencies (such as USD).
AndrewJ

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 09:50:07 AM

Osama isn't dead?
Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 09:59:03 AM

Osama isn't dead?

Ofcause he isn't dead. Why kill the ultimate source of info on terrorism sponsors? If you claim he is dead you can keep him in a basement for however long you need.

I don't think that Bitcoin is usefull for terorists. The way Al Caida works today with low tech insurgents and attacks, they would'nt know how to make use of Bitcoin for anything.
Got BTC

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:45:14 AM

That'd be a stupid reason to outlaw BTC. They're used for so many different things, but I do agree that most of it in black market stuff. Don't try to argue this, just look up the deep-web and hidden wiki, that's only scratching the surface though.
anonymous_acc

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:52:06 AM

For the 1st time they should start trade plutonium for BTC.

BTC: 1HRcwjxG2H5vSnNo5ZbGqMxRPFWJk6dwW9
Flip Bitcoins

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 02:11:05 PM

If bitcoins were outlawed because of their use by terrorists, then you would have to outlaw the USD too because I'm sure Al Queda uses those too.  Wink
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 02:23:33 PM

Why would "outlawing" bitcoin prevent terrorists from using it? Or would breaking finance law be a bridge too far for Al Qaeda?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 02:27:41 PM

To combat terrorism, one should look at the root causes and learn what causes it. To be honest, I think many governments are happy with a certain degree of terrorism. And do not dismiss that there may be some false flag operations too. That way, the population can be controlled, there is an outside enemy, and the govt. can have an excuse to add certain countermeasures to prevent terrorism, that's not really about anything else but to keep the citizens under control.
debianlinux

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 02:52:38 PM

To combat terrorism, one should look at the root causes and learn what causes it. To be honest, I think many governments are happy with a certain degree of terrorism. And do not dismiss that there may be some false flag operations too. That way, the population can be controlled, there is an outside enemy, and the govt. can have an excuse to add certain countermeasures to prevent terrorism, that's not really about anything else but to keep the citizens under control.

We have always been at war with Oceana.
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 03:00:26 PM

We have always been at war with Oceana.

Agreed, Eurasia is our perennial friend and ally.

nyrednek

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 03:16:21 PM

If the US uses any means to outlaw bitcoin, it appears that the US will use the illicit market SilkRoad as the excuse. That is the excuse that a few members of Congress have already attempted to use.
notig (OP)

Activity: 294

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 01:25:57 AM

Why would "outlawing" bitcoin prevent terrorists from using it? Or would breaking finance law be a bridge too far for Al Qaeda?

Well I don't think it would. But a government sure would be willing to use it as an excuse... and it would make a newsworthy catchphrase to garner support. At least that's my fear. Some powerful bankers fund terrorists with bitcoins... the terrorists are somehow caught or they commit some act and are linked to bitcoins after. The news goes crazy... and then legislation begin.  Call me a conspiracy theorist I guess. The irony of that conspiracy though would be that bankers (who would be the enemies of bitcoin) would actually buy the bitcoins to use to fund terrorists.

Envite

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 01:31:01 AM

Look at 1000USD and 500€ notes... they are even less traceable than bitcoins
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 3160

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 07:17:49 AM

If the US uses any means to outlaw bitcoin, it appears that the US will use the illicit market SilkRoad as the excuse. That is the excuse that a few members of Congress have already attempted to use.

And while they are at it, they will have to outlaw the cell phone, too. It's the number one tool of drugs dealers.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Willbro

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:13:35 PM

I dont think there would be any advantage with outlawing bitcoins because even if the us outlaw them they will still be there and still be able to buy with them as all the bitcoin exchange services will just operate from a country that bitcoin is not yet legal in .Also if usa did manage to somehow make bitcoins illegal all over the world there would be another bitcoin invented straight away that is the same but just with a diffrent name .

I dont think it will be as easy as making a law and everyone stops trading in bitcoins if anything the ban would probley bring more publicity to the currency and would make more people interested in using it
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 02:21:09 PM

Osama isn't dead?

Ofcause he isn't dead. Why kill the ultimate source of info on terrorism sponsors? If you claim he is dead you can keep him in a basement for however long you need.

If still alive, he's probably living somewhere as someone else. If we are to embrace a conspiracy theory, I think it's more likely that he was an accomplice to the charade. Otherwise, why not accept the official story?

I don't think that Bitcoin is usefull for terorists. The way Al Caida works today with low tech insurgents and attacks, they would'nt know how to make use of Bitcoin for anything.

But, they did orchestrate and manage to succeed in taking out the most sophisticated covert attack in the known human history. Strange...

I mostly agree though, that the idea that they somehow are threatened by anti-money-laundering measures and need something like Bitcoin is not very realistic. Assuming there really are actual powerful autonomous terrorist groups (i.e. non-State-created, though could be sponsored), they must already have trust networks to operate. They don't need a distributed notary system. For the transfer of wealth outside the banking system, I'm sure bags of cash will do just fine and perform better than Bitcoin wrt traceability.

Agreed. Though keep in mind that using it as an excuse to attack Bitcoin also counts as an attempt at keeping the citizens under control.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 02:33:27 PM

And while they are at it, they will have to outlaw the cell phone, too. It's the number one tool of drugs dealers.

We may possibly overestimate the fact that they were concerned about Silk Road, there are probably an enormous amoung of other cases they're looking into. I'm frankly not sure if bitcoin is on their agenda much.
nikkisnowe

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 02:07:00 AM

While we all are consumed by bitcoin, we would probably be shocked to learn how far off the radar it is to the government. 
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 02:17:50 AM

That'd be a stupid reason to outlaw BTC. They're used for so many different things, but I do agree that most of it in black market stuff. Don't try to argue this, just look up the deep-web and hidden wiki, that's only scratching the surface though.

I think that's why people are afraid that they might try.  It's the stupidest thing to do, so it's the most likely thing the government would try.

A perfect example, ban guns and there will be no more killing.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: