Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:12:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CRYPTSY MAKES DEAL WITH HACKERS TO RETURN STOLEN 13,000 BTC, PAYS 13% FEE  (Read 3287 times)
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 08:57:24 PM

No date on the signature, no printed name, no witnesses and no notarization.

Absolutely no way to authenticate anything.

Yep sounds legit

Grin Grin Grin

~BCX~
croato

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 09:02:31 PM

It would be great to know how this contact between Vern and "hackers" was made. I highly doubt they would contact him and risk to be caught if nothing else. It looks like Vern and those "hackers" know each other very well. Quite interesting story but i dont think selling fairy tales can get him of the hook.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 10:19:15 PM

That's lovely. I do enjoy a happy ending to a sad story. Congratulations to the operators for getting the coins. Congratulations to the hacker for making a profit while doing the 'right' thing. Jolly good.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 10:23:29 PM

That's lovely. I do enjoy a happy ending to a sad story. Congratulations to the operators for getting the coins. Congratulations to the hacker for making a profit while doing the 'right' thing. Jolly good.

Your optimism is charming like a Hugh Grant romanitc comedy. Remember those?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1396267.60

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 10:32:05 PM

Steal and then return. How noble! How about those who robbed Mt Gox?

Yeah, like that hasn't been done before. Remember Bitcoinica? Here's the thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=95795.0
tbearhere
Legendary

Activity: 3136
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 11:51:54 PM

So that hackers (or Cryptsy) made 1750BTC for just (STEP1) announcing the news on being hacked and been able to (STEP2) pursue hacker to returned the stolen coins.

I guess the hackers should also let everyone know how they hack the site so that other exchanges can learn from this?
Exactly so that other exchanges can learn from this!

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 12:18:35 AM

Someone cooked the books here. Giving back those Bitcoins is giving away free money. Perhaps the hackers thought they couldn't keep the Bitcoins for a large amount of time (about to get caught) and wanted to dump them while they could.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 12:24:41 AM

who cares? BTC is mainly used for illegal things so why do you complain about a "nice" exit?  Grin

you are keep using shit exchangers like BTC-e, Bitfinex, BTC China and so on...why do cry for losing your funds when you know what BTC involves, RISK Smiley
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 3441

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 01:32:06 AM

Honestly On the agreement part, it doesn't look legit to me. Lacks professionalism. If Paul for one seconds, is thinking of by giving back what he owed after all this time, he could open up the exchange once again, then it's not going to work and certainly it looks like a made up story. The best thing for him, is to return everything and then quit the scene (for good).

On a side note:
You have a small typo error on your site, wherein says: be back in Cryptosy's posession (an excess o)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Arrakeen

Activity: 532

Offer escrow, receive negative trust

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:26:43 AM

When the piss-poor excuse of 'hackers stole our BTC' was followed by 'we'll give a 1.5k+ BTC reward to whomever returns it', I knew this was all an inside job by the pathological liar BigFern. He (or someone he's working with) will simply return all the funds in question, and make off with the rest (aka 'bounty').

This is pathetic....looks like Vern is now 1750BTC richer, and no one will bat an eyelid.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:43:20 AM

When the piss-poor excuse of 'hackers stole our BTC' was followed by 'we'll give a 1.5k+ BTC reward to whomever returns it', I knew this was all an inside job by the pathological liar BigFern. He (or someone he's working with) will simply return all the funds in question, and make off with the rest (aka 'bounty').

This is pathetic....looks like Vern is now 1750BTC richer, and no one will bat an eyelid.

"Yeahhhhhhhh! Offer a 1K BTC bounty to the crypto community for information leading to recovery of ~13K BTC, ignore all viable offers by going dark, but come months later to accept a 1,750 BTC bounty by a complete unknown."
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:49:11 AM

i'm pretty sure that anybody who knows anything doesn't believe a word of this crap. but in the end, crypto is the wild west. whatcha gonna do, eh?

sirohige

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:56:43 AM

after i read the contract, so at this moment hacker can stole private key from bitcoin address..?
bitcoin not safe again?
pineapples
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

to your stations, man the pineapples!!!

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 03:42:10 AM

after i read the contract, so at this moment hacker can stole private key from bitcoin address..?
bitcoin not safe again?

lol. That's what hackers do.

YEEE F*#KIN HA BIG RED TEXT !!!           

(\__/)    
(='.'=)   
(")_(")   

BUMBA
Sam Weir

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 04:48:26 AM

bitcoin not safe again?

lol. That's what hackers do.

Except in this case, Big Vern tried to exit scam from his exchange and bounce to China, never to be heard from again..... but he got cold feet.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 04:57:28 AM

Maybe his wife stole them, and they are getting back tgether. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 07:10:52 AM

Very interested to see how this plays out.. Ofcourse I would never ever use cryptsy again if they manage to get back up on their feet, but if they get back most of the coins, it is very good news for it's users that got burned and have not been able to withdraw.

I don't think Vern is up to this plan and some sort of "long con" by setting this up himself. It still brings way too much heat to him and he will still never recover fully from the blow. The only thing that he gains are potentially lesser charges or less people the class action suit.

Regarding the 10% bounty they offered, the fact that it is now higher can be the result of a negotiation from the person offering their services. It does not have to be something fishy directly.

Let's hope for everybody with locked funds in there that this gets resolved sooner rather than later.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 07:15:31 AM

who cares? BTC is mainly used for illegal things so why do you complain about a "nice" exit?  Grin

you are keep using shit exchangers like BTC-e, Bitfinex, BTC China and so on...why do cry for losing your funds when you know what BTC involves, RISK Smiley

stop fudding, there are plenty fo merchants that accept bitcoin and now even steam is on track, do you think those are selling illegal stuff?

it's the criminal that choose the currency not the opposite, bitcoin has nothing to do with criminal activity
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 07:54:53 AM

Maybe his wife stole them, and they are getting back tgether. Smiley

http://www.bitcoinfuturesguide.com/bitcoin-blog/cryptsy-makes-deal-with-hackers-to-return-stolen-13000-btc-pays-13-fee-to-the-culprit

The anonymous hacker is called "Cryptcracker" (probably a group) and the individual who signed the contract appears to have written "Wrecker" or "Wrecked".

Eternal Insolent = Lorie Ann Nettles (think homewrecker)

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

~ William Congreve

You figured out yet, Jim Slockney and Paul Vernon, or am I simply being a nutter again?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 08:11:42 AM

this can not be believable, How come the hackers would return 13000 btc for taking 1750 btc only while they can keep the whole amount without returning !! And this proofs that there is no actual hacking that happen and it was a scam exit that was faked by cryptsy

It is unbelievable that Big Vern thinks this "contract" will help him avoid serious legal trouble. I wish there was a way to have him arrested and locked up in jail tonight.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: