Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:40:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-02 emirates.com/open skies - goodbye cash – could bitcoin be the paperless  (Read 2361 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 11:35:23 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2013, 12:20:46 AM by julz

Emirates Open Skies Magazine
goodbye cash – could bitcoin be the paperless future of currency?

page 70. How Bitcoin is changing the face of the currency system

Noah Davis
2013-02

http://content.emirates.com/ife/openskies/OpenSkiesFebruary2013.pdf

THE BITCOIN EFFECT
Does a new electronic payment system threaten the future of currency as we know it?
Noah Davis investigates the Bitcoin phenomenon and discovers why the future of commerce may already be here  

Initially reported/discussed here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=134436.0

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 01:05:04 AM

Something seems a bit confused/overly complicated with the "How do you make a transaction with Bitcoin?" graphic on page 78

Steps listed are:

1) Person B sends Person A his 'public address'

2) Person B adds his secret key to the message, then sends the transaction to the Bitcoin network for verification.

3) Person A responds with a message that includes Person B's public key, determined by using the pubilic address and the number of coins involved in the transaction.

4) The transaction sent to computers in the network and is added to the 'block chain' in a matter of minutes. This makes it part of the public record and ensures that Bitcoins cannot be double-spent.

I'm not entirely sure I even got their intended order correct - but what the heck is step 3 about?
This 'explanation' makes it seems like some online interaction is required from the receiving party after they've given their payment address...
Given that Person B both sends their public address - and 'adds his secret' key - it's not even clear if money is going from A to B or vice versa.
Perhaps this is meant to explain some more complex transaction where a possible refund address is given??
Worst attempted explanation I've ever seen for Bitcoin transactions!

Can anyone clarify what is going on with that graphic? Am I just reading it incorrectly?

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
SwarmStream

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 02:13:45 AM

Gallippi believes that between 10 and 100 million people will use Bitcoin within three years.

Does anyone know how Tony arrived at this estimate?
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 02:33:31 AM

Gallippi believes that between 10 and 100 million people will use Bitcoin within three years.

Don't you know he have a crystal ball?  Roll Eyes

SwarmStream

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 03:02:55 AM

Don't you know he have a crystal ball?  Roll Eyes

Haha, I hope it's accurate!
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 03:56:09 AM

yeah, its great to see this finally come out!

with over 1 million people using it today, in its primitive form, i think a 10x jump in 3 years is very likely.  It's all a matter of targeting the right demographics.  Don't try to make it work for grandma, instead make it work for international business people.  Like the kind of people who fly Emirates Airlines.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:03:38 AM

yeah, its great to see this finally come out!

with over 1 million people using it today, in its primitive form, i think a 10x jump in 3 years is very likely.  It's all a matter of targeting the right demographics.  Don't try to make it work for grandma, instead make it work for international business people.  Like the kind of people who fly Emirates Airlines.

this is awesome!

I've just been flying... it's boring as hell (didn't take reading material) and I even read the friggin' emergency procedures leaflet. The bitcoin article is probably the most visually appealing and intellectually challenging piece in that magazine.

People travelling are preconditioned to be thinking about currency exchange and payment.

I didn't read the article, but if it explains bitcoin well enough it can have quite some impact.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:54:03 AM

2) Person B adds his secret key to the message, then sends the transaction to the Bitcoin network for verification.
Secret key??? What the heck? Is this article telling people to reveal their private keys? But that way people can steal your BTC

The sender only requires the bitcoin address. It seems technical wording is getting intermixed with public relations wording. The result a complete misunderstanding mess.

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 12:49:55 PM

ABOUT OPEN SKIES:
This high-quality travel and leisure magazine produced for Emirates airline by Motivate Publishing reflects the carrier's up-market and cosmopolitan profile.
It reaches a captive audience in a relaxed environment - free from distraction - ensuring you maximum exposure.

What would it cost us to pay for placing this article?

A back of the envelope estimate:

The price of a single full page advert in Open Skies is $14,000

There are six full pages of Bitcoin coverage.

The cost of paying for placement of the article would be on the order of $84000.

Not that you can even get six pages. (Double page spread is max.)

The more interesting, but also more difficult question would be:

What's the value of this article? (Unanswerable, but probably a hell of a lot more.)

http://issuu.com/motivatepublishing/docs/open_skies_media_kit
http://www.motivatepublishing.com/mediakits/article.asp?categorycode=Mag&articlecode=ART00573
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 01:03:58 PM

This is great! How long before Skymall starts carrying Casascius coins? For that matter, how long before Skymall starts accepting Bitcoin as a payment option? I've been eyeing their "Bigfoot, the Garden Yeti" statue for a while now.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 06:16:42 PM

This is so great placement! Couldn't be better. Too bad "Bitcoin is pre-Netscape" with an """info""" graphic underlining how it is pre-anything that anybody could possibly want to have a second look at.

Sorry I don't see how Bitcoin is pre-Netscape to start with. I would get Bitcoins sent to anybody with a smartphone in his hands within less than a minute (given he trusts me). No need to fucking confuse people with such a shitty understatement/misinformation. "Pre-Netscape" being a Tony-the-Bitcoin-advocate-quote makes it even worse.

@Tony: Please tell me they got you out of context with that quote or they had to present bitcoin as a joke to get a chance to feature it at all. Else 7 pages of Bitcoin really is great. Do you know how many flights*seats this will be on board?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: