Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:42:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ===>>>BCM SCAM ALERT<<<===  (Read 14274 times)
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 01:19:11 AM

I know that a.k...99@gmx.de ... He always retracted his money, good thing I haven't confirmed the transaction @ bitcoinmarket.

Is jen...se@web.de known to cause any troubles ?

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dwdollar (OP)

Activity: 202
Merit: 109

GCC - Global cryptocurrency

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2010, 01:26:48 AM

I know that a.k...99@gmx.de ... He always retracted his money, good thing I haven't confirmed the transaction @ bitcoinmarket.

Is jen...se@web.de known to cause any troubles ?

I don't have any record of that one.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 01:38:30 AM

The scammers are probably going to come in with more frequency and the like. This is going to be a hassle. There gotta be a better way...

gekko

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 01:43:16 AM

The scammers are probably going to come in with more frequency and the like. This is going to be a hassle. There gotta be a better way...

Real ID, reputation and waiting periods should work. Anything less is a pipe dream. The big problem here is that bitcoinmarket doesn't appear to offer any of this. Mt. Gox at least has the waiting period so their exposure is less (losing the difference between buy/sell price of reversed transactions).
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 01:48:57 AM

Yeah, if we really belive in bitcoin as a good thing, we just have to come up with a good solution for these problems and we better be quick before bad news like this start to mass.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2010, 03:16:43 AM

Yeah, if we really belive in bitcoin as a good thing, we just have to come up with a good solution for these problems and we better be quick before bad news like this start to mass.

This is definitely a problem, and I can't wait to see all the solutions that are found.

But it should be clear that it is a problem with PayPal and the ultimate solution will be that people who want a money that can't be yanked back will stop using PayPal (and the many others) that offer this "feature".

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
joe

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 04:37:20 AM

dwdollar, is what you are saying, a fraudster stole someones paypal account and then used it on BCM to buy btc's from someone?

Yes, that is correct, except more than one PayPal account is involved.

How does a person know if the paypal account is a fraud?

The person receiving the payment will get a notice similar to:

"Recently, PayPal received a notification from a user regarding unauthorized access to his PayPal account. As a result, one of the payments credited to your PayPal account has been placed in a temporary hold while we investigate the claim.  PayPal constantly monitors transactions for unauthorized use of accounts in order to maintain the safety of our users."

This is how paypal goes. Avoid paypal.

As a seller (non-bitcoin-related) I had $1500 pulled back from my account with no recourse since it was an electronic good (software).

The only way to even have a chance against paypal chargebacks is to (1) ship something to the confirmed address of the buyer and show paypal the tracking number. And even then, all the forums are saying paypal will rule in favor of the buyer/scammer if they charged it back from the credit card they used to fund their paypal account. (2) Wait 180 days from date of incoming transaction.

Paypal is nothing more than a credit card and ACH processor with a front to make it look like you have actual money in your account. They push all of their risk onto the seller. If paypal doesn't get paid by the buyer because of a chargeback or complaint, they yank it back from the seller.

A paypal representative admitted to me over the phone that you can not rely on your paypal balance until 180 days have elapsed since its receipt.

The Bitcoin Market is safe-- but paypal is not. The correct thing to do in light of this is open up a Liberty Reserve or other type of account which Bitcoin Market supports.

Also I am sure that established Bitcoin Market accounts with good history that use paypal are safe.
Anonymous

October 09, 2010, 05:29:43 AM

dwdollar, is what you are saying, a fraudster stole someones paypal account and then used it on BCM to buy btc's from someone?

Yes, that is correct, except more than one PayPal account is involved.

How does a person know if the paypal account is a fraud?

The person receiving the payment will get a notice similar to:

"Recently, PayPal received a notification from a user regarding unauthorized access to his PayPal account. As a result, one of the payments credited to your PayPal account has been placed in a temporary hold while we investigate the claim.  PayPal constantly monitors transactions for unauthorized use of accounts in order to maintain the safety of our users."

This is how paypal goes. Avoid paypal.

As a seller (non-bitcoin-related) I had $1500 pulled back from my account with no recourse since it was an electronic good (software).

The only way to even have a chance against paypal chargebacks is to (1) ship something to the confirmed address of the buyer and show paypal the tracking number. And even then, all the forums are saying paypal will rule in favor of the buyer/scammer if they charged it back from the credit card they used to fund their paypal account. (2) Wait 180 days from date of incoming transaction.

Paypal is nothing more than a credit card and ACH processor with a front to make it look like you have actual money in your account. They push all of their risk onto the seller. If paypal doesn't get paid by the buyer because of a chargeback or complaint, they yank it back from the seller.

A paypal representative admitted to me over the phone that you can not rely on your paypal balance until 180 days have elapsed since its receipt.

The Bitcoin Market is safe-- but paypal is not. The correct thing to do in light of this is open up a Liberty Reserve or other type of account which Bitcoin Market supports.

Also I am sure that established Bitcoin Market accounts with good history that use paypal are safe.

Maybe mt gox should start using LR instead of paypal. Paypal must be making out like a demon on all these bitcoin transactions.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2010, 06:58:10 AM

Maybe mt gox should start using LR instead of paypal. Paypal must be making out like a demon on all these bitcoin transactions.

They probably make more from bitcoinmarket. I've probably done 20x more in trades at GOX and paid 5x more fees at BCM.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 07:08:01 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2010, 07:21:32 AM by foreverdamaged

Paypal is shit. This was bound to happen sooner or later.

Shame none of the exchanges accept Ukash or Paysafecard:

http://www.ukash.com
http://www.paysafecard.com

You can buy the codes for cash at any newsagent, and once you've entered the code the payment is irreversible.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 07:19:12 AM

Sorry..

I don't get 100% what the methodolody is for those scammers. How did they do that?

Did they transfer funds from PayPal to ane xchange that wasn't theirs, then bought BTC and then paypal detected the fraud and took back the money?

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 09:05:56 AM

In what way these alternatives you present here are better than paypal?
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 09:30:16 AM

In what way these alternatives you present here are better than paypal?

They are more similar to bitcoin in that payments are anonymous and irreversible, though still managed by a central authorithy. Once a code is spent it's spent. If someone steals your code and spends it it's your own fault; there's no chargeback. Also, you can get them for cash in newsagents, which would be useful for those of us who don't have a credit card.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Anonymous

October 09, 2010, 01:01:51 PM

Ukash

# Undergo the KYC (Know Your Customer) process mandated by the UK Financial Services Authority
# Enter into a contractual agreement to pay in advance for vouchers ordered and that vouchers will only be supplied electronically against acknowledged cleared funds
# Commit to a minimum order of €500 per month
# Pay a €100 set up fee with your first order

Thats for resellers. I sent them a contact to see if they would let someone sell bitcoins for their Ukash vouchers online.
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 02:35:10 PM

@dwdollar:
Uhm, today, many of my bitcoinmarket transactions were cancelled, even if I already received the money.
Does that mean the buyer was a scammer and the money will be retracted ? Or is it just a mistake ?
It's about the jen...se@web.de address I mentioned yesterday. Trade ID 944.

Feel free to contact me via pm or post in this thread.

dwdollar (OP)

Activity: 202
Merit: 109

GCC - Global cryptocurrency

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2010, 03:23:04 PM

@dwdollar:
Uhm, today, many of my bitcoinmarket transactions were cancelled, even if I already received the money.
Does that mean the buyer was a scammer and the money will be retracted ? Or is it just a mistake ?
It's about the jen...se@web.de address I mentioned yesterday. Trade ID 944.

Feel free to contact me via pm or post in this thread.

I sent you a PM.

bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2010, 09:04:57 PM

When the scammers was received the first large amount of bitcoin?

We here think they might try to sell that amount on our exchange btcex.com, and this caused a crash (http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1389.0 )

Also we can try to trace the path of a coins.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2010, 02:42:58 PM

An unfortunate situation, which I hope can be resolved as best as possible.

I used to consider these 'issues' in the early days of New Liberty Standard accepting PayPal etc. Which is why I chose to only use Liberty Reserve.

Seriously, why bother to accept another digital or e-currency that allows for 'charge backs' ( i.e. PayPal / AlertPay ) for one that doesn't ( i.e. Bitcoin ) !

" Be safe from the instability caused by fractional reserve banking and bad policies of central banks."

PayPal is known to 'freeze' customer accounts without warning, not to mention numerous other 'bad policies' which are fundamentally against what Bitcoin stands for. Howerver, if you just want to purchase stuff of ebay its great... Has no one ever heard of the 'pay pal mafia' ? I'd rather use Perfect Money Shocked

However, having said this I admire those offering a BTC <> PayPal Service. Its important for Bitcoin and all part of the experiment.

Although, as the old saying goes "You can't have the penny and the bun !"...  Cry

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: