Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:33:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So I made some calculations today  (Read 2917 times)
Blind Legs Parker (OP)

Activity: 2002
Merit: 721

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 12:51:12 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2016, 01:06:47 PM by Blind Legs Parker

So I made some calculations today.
The total world's wealth is estimated around $241,000,000,000,000 (source), the total value of all the gold in the world is $7,290,669,617,313 (source) and bitcoin's market cap as of now is $6,382,047,520 (source).

This basically means that gold represents 3% of the total world's wealth and that bitcoin is only worth 0.0026% of it. In other words, by comparing bitcoin directly to gold: the total value of all bitcoins is 0.087% (or 1/1142) of the total value of all the gold that there is. Looking at it from this point of view bitcoin can easily get to 4 digits. It then seems pretty down-to-earth to say that we will definitely get there before 2020 if nothing goes wrong. 6 digits though, would put us very close (or even above) gold's value, which is hard to imagine at the moment. The millions have already been made but there is still a lot of money to be made with bitcoin and we now have something that pioneers didn't have: stability. Stability is a great thing because it allows for a reliable store of value. I thinks we've actually reached a pretty good balance between prospects and safety of investment.
In other words: we're only waiting for metallurgists to find a way to melt tungsten and gold together. Ok we might have to wait for a while  Grin.

(Also, Ethereum's market cap is already $1,061,551,795, roughly 17% of bitcoin's. Meanwhile everyone is still wondering what the heck it can be good for and no one seems quite sure that the price is high enough as is  Grin.)

Vous pouvez maintenant refermer ce topic et reprendre une activité normale. À ciao bonsoir.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2016, 01:29:42 PM

For something like this to happen, you need mass adoption of Bitcoin worldwide, 4 years is too short. Gold is acknowledged by everyone to be valuable, it is something tangible that even people in their 80's or older can easily recognize. Bitcoin is a new generation thing and at the moment attracts only people that are technologically savvy. When we've reached a point where the oldest person on earth was born after Bitcoin was created, Bitcoin will have been universally assimilated. Of course we might not need to wait that long  Wink
Benchman

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 02:14:48 PM

+1

Bitcoin need at least 10-20 years to come into mainstream. Price should be +$20,000. But we'll see.
nuevo

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 02:36:52 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2016, 02:54:23 PM by nuevo

The total world's wealth is estimated around $241,000,000,000,000 (source), the total value of all the gold in the world is $7,290,669,617,313 (source) and bitcoin's market cap as of now is $6,382,047,520 (source).

This basically means that gold represents 3% of the total world's wealth and that bitcoin is only worth 0.0026% of it. In other words, by comparing bitcoin directly to gold: the total value of all bitcoins is 0.087% (or 1/1142) of the total value of all the gold that there is. Looking at it from this point of view bitcoin can easily get to 4 digits. It then seems pretty down-to-earth to say that we will definitely get there before 2020 if nothing goes wrong. 6 digits though, would put us very close (or even above) gold's value, which is hard to imagine at the moment. The millions have already been made but there is still a lot of money to be made with bitcoin and we now have something that pioneers didn't have: stability. Stability is a great thing because it allows for a reliable store of value. I thinks we've actually reached a pretty good balance between prospects and safety of investment.
In other words: we're only waiting for metallurgists to find a way to melt tungsten and gold together. Ok we might have to wait for a while  Grin.

(Also, Ethereum's market cap is already $1,061,551,795, roughly 17% of bitcoin's. Meanwhile everyone is still wondering what the heck it can be good for and no one seems quite sure that the price is high enough as is  Grin.)

Ok, where do I sign up for a tesla and does anyone want to go halvsies on a private jet?

LISK    Develop Decentralized Applications & Sidechains in JavaScript with Lisk!
aleandromagno
Legendary

Activity: 1323
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 02:49:16 PM

+1

Bitcoin need at least 10-20 years to come into mainstream. Price should be +$20,000. But we'll see.

I think less - it can be 5 - 10 years. We already have signals that big companies are interested in Bitcoin (Sony, Burger King). Some big countries already make research to use Bitcoin as a currency. It can be faster than we think Wink

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀      
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████      
████████▌    
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████    
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 02:55:08 PM

in fact real bitcoin price should be in the range of 10k-100k if not above 100k, but people seems to be stabborn enough to believe that the actual price is high

when there will be the real boom, everyone will see cheap bitcoin even at 50k value, guaranteed...
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 03:06:33 PM

For the answer as to what ETH is good for, see the following:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ethereum-powered-augur-brings-its-beta-microsoft-azures-blockchain-cloud-1549630

Lots of stuff is going to be built around ETH, and that's where it's value is coming from.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 03:10:25 PM

You started out well, with sources and information points,
Then it quickly went downhill when you started speculating on what price Bitcoin should be.  Of course it could be 4 digits, it could be 5 digits.  That is not to say that it will, or that it won't be 2 digits.

I look forward to Bitcoin actually being accepted for stuff, and solving the problems that it should be solving - i.e. fast low cost money transfers.  When that happens the price will rise, if it doesn't and I don't really know why it hasn't, then it won't go anywhere fast.
bebeko

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 03:12:28 PM

in fact real bitcoin price should be in the range of 10k-100k if not above 100k, but people seems to be stabborn enough to believe that the actual price is high

when there will be the real boom, everyone will see cheap bitcoin even at 50k value, guaranteed...

you are right, I hope bitcoin will reach this price at any time from now. I believe and bitcoin and bitcoin will surely reach that we just need to give support for it.
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1213

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 03:37:57 PM

Thats true the market cap of gold is very very high compared to the bitcoin. With the growth analysis of bitcoin it is clear that from its day of existence, bitcoin has grown enormously.
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 03:46:39 PM

Thats true the market cap of gold is very very high compared to the bitcoin. With the growth analysis of bitcoin it is clear that from its day of existence, bitcoin has grown enormously.

Yes, the growth is excellent.  Also, consider that gold has been around for eons and bitcoin is not to far behind on market cap.  If it continues to grow as OP has calculated then this is going to get good!  Grin

I love Bitcoin
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16624

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2016, 04:34:21 PM

This basically means that gold represents 3% of the total world's wealth and that bitcoin is only worth 0.0026% of it. In other words, by comparing bitcoin directly to gold: the total value of all bitcoins is 0.087% (or 1/1142) of the total value of all the gold that there is. Looking at it from this point of view bitcoin can easily get to 4 digits.
You can't really make wedding rings out of bitcoin, so it has some limitations gold does not have...

It makes no sense comparing the value of x to the value of y. You can't just exchange them. The value of apples on earth for example is a lot less than the value of bitcoin. And yet, it has nothing to do with it. You can't say "let's replace all apples by bitcoin", just as you can't replace all gold by bitcoin.

I see a serious limitation from the blockchain there... As long as "the ones in power" don't make it possible to do - say - 1000 times more transactions, why should the value go up 50-fold? You can't have mass adoption if the blockchain is already pushed to its limits.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 04:39:16 PM

This basically means that gold represents 3% of the total world's wealth and that bitcoin is only worth 0.0026% of it. In other words, by comparing bitcoin directly to gold: the total value of all bitcoins is 0.087% (or 1/1142) of the total value of all the gold that there is. Looking at it from this point of view bitcoin can easily get to 4 digits.
You can't really make wedding rings out of bitcoin, so it has some limitations gold does not have...

It makes no sense comparing the value of x to the value of y. You can't just exchange them. The value of apples on earth for example is a lot less than the value of bitcoin. And yet, it has nothing to do with it. You can't say "let's replace all apples by bitcoin", just as you can't replace all gold by bitcoin.

I see a serious limitation from the blockchain there... As long as "the ones in power" don't make it possible to do - say - 1000 times more transactions, why should the value go up 50-fold? You can't have mass adoption if the blockchain is already pushed to its limits.

You can't send gold immediately across the planet, so it has some limitations bitcoin does not have.

It makes no sense compare apples with bitcoin but it makes sense compare bitcoin with gold because they both can be used by the same people for same purpose, store of value, if those people move 1% of their gold investment to bitcoin, bitcoin's price will increase a lot.

Olaf

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 04:40:02 PM

so how long do we wait this out lol.

I dont mind waiting for another 4 years, but having to wait like someone mentioned 10 years minimum.

For the answer as to what ETH is good for, see the following:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ethereum-powered-augur-brings-its-beta-microsoft-azures-blockchain-cloud-1549630

Lots of stuff is going to be built around ETH, and that's where it's value is coming from.

I`ll prob invest in ETH if the day I see it on the googles webpages in the rankings to replace the word "bitcoin".

Until then it seems pointless is in my view.

Blind Legs Parker (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 02:20:19 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2016, 03:20:53 PM by Blind Legs Parker

You started out well, with sources and information points,
Then it quickly went downhill when you started speculating on what price Bitcoin should be.  Of course it could be 4 digits, it could be 5 digits.  That is not to say that it will, or that it won't be 2 digits.

I look forward to Bitcoin actually being accepted for stuff, and solving the problems that it should be solving - i.e. fast low cost money transfers.  When that happens the price will rise, if it doesn't and I don't really know why it hasn't, then it won't go anywhere fast.
You nailed it. Well you can chop my post in four bits if you want:
1) I'm comparing the total world's wealth with bitcoin and gold's market caps. This is cold, documented, mathematics.
2) I'm speculating on the future price of bitcoin.
3) I'm cracking a joke about bitcoin killing gold because gold will be easy to counterfeit in the future (yes, that was humour  Cheesy)
4) I'm mocking the ridiculousness of the pump that Ethereum saw during these past two months. The future has already proven me right regarding that bit because the present is the future of my OP and Ethereum is coming down already. (To this I should add that I don't think that ethereum is the regular type of shitcoin, because I don't, quite the opposite actually, but yeah, the price last week was out of its boots).

Regarding part 2, which is only about speculation, of course, anything could happen, I'm not saying that bitcoin will have to find a bigger niche than it already has (and which is already pretty respectable). My, it might even lose it and be brought down to two digits. Thing is: I think it is unlikely. Now based on my calculations above, bitcoin's market cap is horribly far away from gold's, while I personally think that although being usable only as a currency and a store of value, bitcoin is just every bit as good as gold. It even does the currency part better than gold does because it's easy to transfer worldwide. Of course yes, that bit is not cold mathematical calculations: it's my prediction based on the mathematical calculations. It's not what the future has to be, only what it might be according to my own opinion. I don't think I properly went downhill when I gave away my opinion though. You should just not expect too much of it: it's only my opinion and I don't have the ability to foresee the future  Cheesy. No need to bring it down any more  Cheesy.

Vous pouvez maintenant refermer ce topic et reprendre une activité normale. À ciao bonsoir.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 03:06:34 PM

-snip-
What happened so Ethereum is so highly regarded now? It is easily the 2nd cryptocurrency now. And it is getting bigger as we speak. There are rumors that Microsoft will be accepting ETH in their shop.
And they already give up on accepting Bitcoin few days ago.
Blind Legs Parker (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 03:14:40 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2016, 03:27:22 PM by Blind Legs Parker

-snip-
What happened so Ethereum is so highly regarded now? It is easily the 2nd cryptocurrency now. And it is getting bigger as we speak. There are rumors that Microsoft will be accepting ETH in their shop.
And they already give up on accepting Bitcoin few days ago.
Man if I had a time machine like you do I would definitely want to travel to the future like you did. But tell me, why only one week? I'd go for one or two centuries, for a starter, if I was given the occasion.
1) Ethereum is crashing
2) Microsoft has already denied its statement regarding bitcoin. They accept it again.

As for your question regarding what happened to Ethereum, well speculation happened. A snowball effect, no less.

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 08:58:02 AM

Apple accounts for 0.3% of the world's total wealth? That seems too high.
I guess some of that value has to be transferred to Bitcoin.  Grin
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 09:04:57 AM

Gold is backed by a long 'history' ... bitcoin not yet.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 09:17:50 AM

I think the market cap of gold above the ground is around $7 trillion.
So just 1% of that streaming into Bitcoin would add another $70 billion to its' market cap.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: