Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:15:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo mining with bitcoin-qt  (Read 3151 times)
Envite (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:18:30 PM

Hi all

What can I expect by using bitcoin-qt for mining? Is it possible? I think I just need to start it with -gen option, is it that simple?

Thanks
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 08:41:12 PM

Of course it is possible, but...

I think I just need to start it with -gen option, is it that simple?
What? About what option are you speaking about?

To solo mine (bad idea anyway lol) you need to run qt as server

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 09:13:17 PM

Yes, but it only uses your CPU, not your graphics card, and is therefore completely useless (which is why the option was removed from the GUI). It will take you many years or even decades to find a block this way, if ever. If you actually hope to ever make even a small amount of bitcoins, download a real miner such as cgminer and join a pool.

What? About what option are you speaking about?

To solo mine (bad idea anyway lol) you need to run qt as server
He's talking about Bitcoin-Qt's rarely-used (and for good reason) built-in miner. Running as a server is not required when mining this way, though it is an astoundingly bad idea.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 09:24:02 PM

He's talking about Bitcoin-Qt's rarely-used (and for good reason) built-in miner
It was removed more than a year ago if i remember well.

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 11:46:18 PM

He's talking about Bitcoin-Qt's rarely-used (and for good reason) built-in miner
It was removed more than a year ago if i remember well.
You remember incorrectly. Only the option in the GUI was removed, due to its uselessness. The miner is still present, presumably for the sake of being a complete implementation of everything needed to run the Bitcoin network, and can be invoked by starting Bitcoin-Qt or bitcoind with the gen option (either as a command line argument or in the configuration file), or with the RPC command setgenerate true (and setgenerate false stops mining, of course).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Envite (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 11:58:01 PM

I have version v0.7.2.0-g32a928e-beta and -gen option seems to be there.

I will try it, just to see if I'm lucky, but many thanks for the comments about the very very low probability.

Which tool would you recommend for solo mining in Linux (nVidia card)?

I just want to give it some use, as the computer is always switched on for other tasks.

I want to test solo to get the feel of it before considering joining a pool. I want to learn about bitcoin, not just to make BTCs with it.

Many thanks
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 10:33:34 AM

I want to test solo to get the feel of it before considering joining a pool. I want to learn about bitcoin, not just to make BTCs with it.

try mining on the testnet instead then, at least you could see some results that way.
Envite (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Hi koin

Many thanks, but question still is which tool should I use for GPU solo mining in Linux?

I'll test it in the testnet as you suggest  Smiley
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 11:48:56 AM

Many thanks, but question still is which tool should I use for GPU solo mining in Linux?

here:

bitcoind.exe -testnet
and then
cgminer.exe -u name -p password -o http://localhost:8332

Takes only a few seconds to find a block if you are lucky.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 01:20:57 PM

You are right Foxpup!

Envite, note that the built-in miner is a CPU miner, nothing more. You cannot GPU mine with it. So, get cgminer like koin said.

Envite (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 01:31:07 PM

Thanks Gabi and koin

I see there "cgminer.exe". That indicates a Windows program. Is there a cgminer for Linux?
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 02:34:58 PM

I see there "cgminer.exe". That indicates a Windows program. Is there a cgminer for Linux?
Yes.

Envite (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 10:50:08 AM

I have downloaded, compiled and installed it, but when running it it asked for pool username and password. Can it be used for solo?
sounds

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 02:00:48 PM

Please google for more information.
Vircurex

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 02:57:44 PM

Solomining BTC? What hardware do you have?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: