Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:51:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I tell if a copier toner cartridge is new or used?  (Read 6254 times)
Nolo (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 05:04:03 AM

I don't have the copier, so I can't put it in the copier to test it. It appears to be very clean, and doesn't "look" as though it has been used, but I didn't know if there was any test I could do on it, to determine for sure whether it has been used or not.

This is the cartridge I have.

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 05:17:29 AM

look at the price

you ALWAYS get what you pay for.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 05:21:07 AM

If it is using the word Canon on it and doesn't come sealed in a Canon retail box with hologram it is at best a fake and at worst a used fake.

Note I got no problem with off brand toner but Canon is a trademark of Canon so there is an honest off brand manufacturer calling their product "Canon L50 compatible" and then there are the dishonest ones trying to pass theirs off as a genuine Canon (or HP or xyz) part.  If you can't trust them enough to be honest with the labelling who knows what else they are faking. I mean it is very easy to design a toner cartridge which has 1/4th the toner (and more plastic makes it weight about right) so even new it could produce less pages then a used one would.
Nolo (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 05:21:41 AM

look at the price

you ALWAYS get what you pay for.

I'm selling it.  And need to know what to make people pay for Smiley  

I purchased it (along with a ton of other stuff) at a bankruptcy sale of an office.  So I don't know if it was used or not.  The packaging it was in was a silver wrapper you would expect it to come in, but it was open.  

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
Nolo (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 05:22:11 AM

If it is using the word Canon on it and doesn't come sealed in a Canon retail box with hologram it is at best a fake and at worst a used fake.

Note I got no problem with off brand toner but Canon is a trademark of Canon so there is an honest off brand manufacturer calling their product "Canon L50 compatible" and then there are the dishonest ones trying to pass theirs off as a genuine Canon (or HP or xyz) part.  If you can't trust them enough to be honest with the labelling who knows what else they are faking. I mean it is very easy to design a toner cartridge which has 1/4th the toner (and more plastic makes it weight about right) so even new it could produce less pages then a used one would.

I should have been more clear in my original post on how I came into possession of it.  

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 05:25:13 AM

Yeah looking at the post 2 up that does make it tough.  My guess is that the bankrupt company isn't trying to pull a scam.  They likely wouldn't remove the toner until it was used completed and then probably wouldn't hang on to it.  If it was a printer cart I would say check the printer to see if it has a MICR toner cart installed.  That would indicate they probably started printing checks at one time and the "spare" toner is probably the original and partially used.

Being a copier that doesn't apply so my guess is it is new.  No real way to tell, not without access to a compatible copier.  The higher end toner carts have microchip so loading it into the correct copier should show the number of copies made (somewhere in the setup menus Smiley ).

BTW: My first job in IT was tech support for Cannon. 
Nolo (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 05:30:17 AM

Yeah looking at the post 2 up that does make it tough.  My guess is that the bankrupt company isn't trying to pull a scam.  They likely wouldn't remove the toner until it was used completed and then probably wouldn't hang on to it.  If it was a printer cart I would say check the printer to see if it has a MICR toner cart installed.  That would indicate they probably started printing checks at one time and the "spare" toner is probably the original and partially used.

Being a copier that doesn't apply so my guess is it is new.  No real way to tell, not without access to a compatible copier.  The higher end toner carts have microchip so loading it into the correct copier should show the number of copies made (somewhere in the setup menus Smiley ).

BTW: My first job in IT was tech support for Cannon. 

That's what I was worried about.  It weighs 2lbs 12.6oz.  I'll try to find the weight online of a new cartridge, but I doubt I'll be able to find that. 

SpaceJelly

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 10:08:19 AM

If it is new and unused then it should have a tear out strip of plastic that unseals the toner compartment.

If that's not there, then it's highly likely to have been used.

1Je11yL4Fqw5nvaP6KUs2JDABBp29vKeEU
1JeLLyv8o7YwooSg53qEdDSPXeAT3ShQoc
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 01:18:55 PM

I purchased it (along with a ton of other stuff) at a bankruptcy sale of an office.  So I don't know if it was used or not.  The packaging it was in was a silver wrapper you would expect it to come in, but it was open. 

It could even be an empty that was waiting to be refilled or recycled. A lot of times liquidation companies will bring crap in to sell at liquidation or estate sales that wasn't even from the company, even scummier ones will sell their knock-off chinese vases and such at estates sales since dummies think it might be an antique.
HouseofToner

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2021, 10:38:18 AM

Here are a few easy ways you can monitor the life of your toner cartridge so you can anticipate when it is time for a replacement:

1- All printers keep track of the approximate remaining toner levels either on the printer display or via the printer software that is installed on your computer.  
2- Consult your printer manual to determine how to access toner level tracking for your specific machine.  The printer should also automatically generate a message on the display or your computer when it is time to replace a cartridge.  With most machines, you do not need to replace the toner cartridge immediately when this message first appears.
3- If print quality starts to get spotty, remove the cartridge and gently rock it back and forth a few times over a trashcan to redistribute the toner powder and then reinstall into your printer.  This process should keep the cartridge running a bit longer, and hopefully get through a few more print jobs.

However, if you are looking for Sharp copier toners, you can visit our website i.e. House of Toner and you will not regret it. We offer Original, Compatible and Re-manufactured copier toners at a very reasonable prices.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: