Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:46:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon going to cut into BFL customers pocket books?  (Read 4842 times)
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 06:34:07 AM

It Lives!  Grin Cheesy Shocked Roll Eyes Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 07:16:56 AM

I would like to point out that power estimates exceeded expectations for the Minirig.  So if you want to talk track record, it's a wash.  So stop with your lies about how we've never estimated power properly.  We made ONE (count it), ONE mistake..

One out of two is a pretty mediocre average to be touting the way you are.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 07:30:16 AM

Hey... you can get an Avalon unit to do 720 GH/s.  It's totally easy.  Just put 12 BFL singles in the case.  Just a bit more wattage than a 4 card Avalon and you'll have room to spare AND you'll get almost 3/4 of a TH out of an Avalon.

BTW, for creativeIdiot who keeps bitching about BFLs power estimates, I would like to point out that power estimates exceeded expectations for the Minirig.  So if you want to talk track record, it's a wash.  So stop with your lies about how we've never estimated power properly.  We made ONE (count it), ONE mistake and you've been banking on it forever.  Of course, you just can't be bothered to mention that the minirig power estimates came in under spec, for which we over delivered on promises.  God forbid you tell the truth in all your bullshit.

Actually you didn't ship on time either, not even close. Power estimates wrong, shipping estimates wrong. Stick to your pie in the sky estimates bud and don't try to stand on your record...it sucks. Wink

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 07:37:10 AM

Hey... you can get an Avalon unit to do 720 GH/s.  It's totally easy.  Just put 12 BFL singles in the case.  Just a bit more wattage than a 4 card Avalon and you'll have room to spare AND you'll get almost 3/4 of a TH out of an Avalon.

BTW, for creativeIdiot who keeps bitching about BFLs power estimates, I would like to point out that power estimates exceeded expectations for the Minirig.  So if you want to talk track record, it's a wash.  So stop with your lies about how we've never estimated power properly.  We made ONE (count it), ONE mistake and you've been banking on it forever.  Of course, you just can't be bothered to mention that the minirig power estimates came in under spec, for which we over delivered on promises.  God forbid you tell the truth in all your bullshit.

Josh, awww the baby wanna cry because you weren't the first to ship?

Well hopefully this time you guys can stick to your damn timeline and stop making kindergarten type excuses.

Most people would rather have a working ASIC in their hands than nothing at all but excuses from you.

Mark my words: You delay one more time and your preorder customers will request refunds in a wave the size of a tsunami that will make you want to pee pee your pants as I doubt your precious BFL business can handle refunding ALL customer preorders at once.

Your Best Friend,

Smoothie  Grin Grin Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

dirtycat

Activity: 456

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 09:18:06 AM

lol I love this forum.. always keeps me entertained.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

poop!
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 09:22:41 AM

lol I love this forum.. always keeps me entertained.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

+1 I love this place.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 09:33:06 AM

You could even re-use the power supply and the control board!

Puerto, you're right. I was wrong. The Avalon is modular enough that you can throw out or sell those Avalon chips and put BFL cards in them! That is a killer feature.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 10:30:34 AM

You missed out a few steps: get into a time/alternate reality travel machine, go to whatever dimension you can obtain 12 working BFL SC Singles, procure, return to genuine reality, realise they were all a figment of your imagination.

Vires in numeris
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 11:56:37 AM

You could even re-use the power supply and the control board!

Puerto, you're right. I was wrong. The Avalon is modular enough that you can throw out or sell those Avalon chips and put BFL cards in them! That is a killer feature.

Ha, you could fit, what, 6-9 Single boards in Avalon's case? And it has built in fans, so that's convenient Wink

nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 02:39:37 AM

I can put in an order for (possibly) $350 and upgrade my units up to 90Gh/s. Do you think BFL will ramp up their small box/clamshell configuration to run up to 90Gh/s?

Looks like it's $500. So $2000 for 90GH/s. Same cost and H/s as a BFL single + little single + raspberry pi to run them, and BFL's two units still take up less space and use less power than the non-upgraded Avalon.

If BFL ships, Avalon will be just barely keeping up with BFL in H/$ and still way behind in H/J.

Because people would still be willing to pay more once they know what it is they are getting.

Okay, say I want to buy a device for mining, and I want it to remain profitable for at least a year. That means I am looking for a device with the following features:

• mining
  • low power

Sure, Avalon could have some extra awesome feature, but unless that feature increases mining (maybe it sees the future so it knows which nonce it will be without hashing?) or reduced power (maybe it includes 16 100W solar panels to keep the unit online for free?) then the unit is not going to be superior than a boring competing unit which does the same mining for 1/4 of the power.
Quoted for future reference. A sampling of a BFL supporter before the review.  Grin

I 'll ask you later on if you are still thinking along the same lines. (Don't worry, I know it won't make sense to you until later.)

Yes, I'm still thinking along the same lines. (If it wasn't obvious, I meant "increase mining without making the power usage even worse".) They've effectively allowed you to buy 1/3 of a second unit. This is useful for people who have $2000 but not $3000, space for 4U but not 8U, and free power. "Serious" miners will be getting multiple units anyway (and 4 normal units is as good as 3 upgraded units).

The only undeniable advantage is that Avalon has shipped and BFL has not (and that's a pretty fucking big one), but this has nothing to do with the magic feature.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 02:41:27 AM

Beyond that, Revision 2 Avalon units will have up to 6 modules for upgrades (up to 132Gh/s). So the box will likely be a bit bigger but more expandable. Hence the price hike I'd bet.

They were originally intending to charge $1999 for Batch 2.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 06:56:15 AM

blahblahblah .... all piss and vinegar... Tongue

No one is listening to the rubbish that spews forth from the opening at the top of your body....

DELIVER ON YOUR COMMITEMENTS

OBJECT NOT FOUND
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:05:21 AM

If BFL ships... It will be WAR.
<65nm chips in 3 months.

BFL, please, ship!

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:42:19 AM

If BFL ships... It will be WAR.
<65nm chips in 3 months.

BFL, please, ship!

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Benatar

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 04:38:31 PM

Hey... you can get an Avalon unit to do 720 GH/s.  It's totally easy.  Just put 12 BFL singles in the case.  

12*0=0, not 720
RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:05:53 PM

12*0=0, not 720
You are right if you're telling about this very moment. So, PuertoLibre has got 0 GH/s yet, so it's a draw.
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 11:37:26 PM

Of course they can do that, if they've paid off their initial NRE and have $500k? to spare for moving to a smaller process. The result will be a product similar in efficiency to BFL products, but most likely months after BFL has already met most of the demand.

I don't think you quite understand what is going on.  First, pulling from history we need to remember that BFL dropped the "bombshell" about ASIC in early autumn 2012.  The fact that there is any competition is amazing.  It was announced so early, it if like they were trying to scare away competition.

I saw this, because how Bitcoin works and what ASIC represents.  We are now in a cold war in regards to increasing hashing power and diminishing rewards.  If you are doing any ASIC, you are locked in or you will get out period...  The fact the Avalon has shipped (I believe this week we will see many units coming online), is very significant and you can't not dismiss the impact.   If they can ramp up their (Avalon) production and get GEN 2 ready by later summer, they may be able to continue to increase the hashing power and difficulty to a point where further ASIC development is just plain, unprofitable. 

I made a chart with all the shipping dates announced and estimated total network hashing with estimated difficulty, there are two contrasting scenarios, one where BFL comes ahead and one where they don't and it is all tied into a few keys dates and how much hashing they actually sold and ship.   The next 3 months will be defining.   

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Tinua

Activity: 871

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:54:40 PM

The only undeniable advantage is that Avalon has shipped and BFL has not (and that's a pretty fucking big one), but this has nothing to do with the magic feature.
2 units in the wild, I just can not describe as shipped!
This I call as promotion joke!
MooC Tals

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 10:03:50 PM

2 units in the wild, I just can not describe as shipped!
This I call as promotion joke!

You know what I call a promotional joke. When BFL is willing to have their customers wait to see what the competition will come up with.

but hey! you seem to be ok to bash a competitor that at-least tried to put their customers first. So sad we obtain that level of customer service from a communist company.

Like I have said before I appreciate the service Avalon has done for the community to actually put the fire under BFL's ass.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 11:01:18 AM

Only if Avalon sells more than 300 > 600 at a time... as there seems to be a large market for ASIC given the fact they "PRESELL" like hotcakes. Wonder what the total market would be?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: