Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 12:14:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Ethereum is better than Lisk  (Read 1074 times)
Lick my Disk (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 05:58:16 AM

From the post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/4af4ni/ethereums_advantages_for_bitcoin_highlight_how/

What About Lisk?
It's basically trying to be Ethereum, but using javascript (rather than Ethereum's clients which make a hell of a lot more sense, such as Go, C++, Python, Rust, Java, Ruby, .net). A Javascript Ethereum is a terrible idea, and even if it wasn't, why devote a whole new blockchain to it. Seems pointless, leading to some to suggest this may be an elaborate scam. I doubt it's a scam, but it does seem poorly thought out.
As noted by /u/Itsaconspiracy and /u/Nevermindthequestion :
The javascript is sandboxed but unrestricted. They have half a dozen rules you're supposed to follow in contracts, to avoid breaking consensus. Nothing's stopping you from putting a call to math.random() in your contract and then nobody gets the same results. Every contract runs in its own sidechain so at least you're not breaking global consensus, but contracts can call each other so it's not totally isolates easier for bugs to sneak in. For example, if someone passes the string "1" into a parameter where you're expectd either.
Javascript numbers are all floating-point, so you can get rounding errors in your contracts. (It's possible that they provide a bignum library, but I don't think so, their rules for contract writers don't say "please use our bignum library.")
Javascript has weak dynamic typing, so it'ing a number, and you haven't written explicit code to convert it to a number, then you can end up with the wrong answer. ("1" + 2) / 3 = 4 in Javascript. (Try it yourself online).
Not to mention that the LISK contracts will be stored in plaintext, which means they'll be vastly more expensive to publish.
OK, so Bitcoin focused smart contracts and LISK are bad ideas, but sometimes bad ideas win, after all, bla bla "network effect"

Now if you can convince the Ether crowd that these are not good arguments against Lisk, then you will get some Ether investors to buy some Lisk.

But in the meantime,

Kiss my Lisk!
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2016, 08:22:08 AM

because LISK is led by two scammers who already got their pockets full on Crypti which now has a 99.9% same code except for the logo?

randomuserlisk

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 09:07:27 AM

It's interesting that the ETH poster says building an Ethereum alternative using javascript is a poor idea, but doesnt exactly say why other than some technical limitations of Javascript in relation to the languages supported by Eth.
CryptoGuu

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 09:14:44 AM

It's interesting that the ETH poster says building an Ethereum alternative using javascript is a poor idea, but doesnt exactly say why other than some technical limitations of Javascript in relation to the languages supported by Eth.

I don't give a shit about LISK but funny to see that so many new registered LISK user are around. Probably paid shills.
randomuserlisk

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 09:17:07 AM

Lol if anything i;m a newly registered lisk anti-shill.
I am just curious about why it has raised so much btc given that it is a crypti clone and the benefits over eth aren't clear at all. Especially after reading the op.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 10:09:52 AM

Lol if anything i;m a newly registered lisk anti-shill.
I am just curious about why it has raised so much btc given that it is a crypti clone and the benefits over eth aren't clear at all. Especially after reading the op.

Probably people who have seen eth making orbital profits trying to repeat the success. Also javascript is conidered an easy to use widespread language, so maybe it will be easier to find dapp programmers than in the case of C++, go or ruby. (However this isn't true for Python.) We'll see how it goes. Anyway competition is always a healthy thing.
rezilient

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 11:30:29 AM

because LISK is led by two scammers who already got their pockets full on Crypti which now has a 99.9% same code except for the logo?

You are also a scammer.

You don't pay enough.
LitcoinCollector
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 11:36:08 AM

Lick my Disk!

I almost shit myself!  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print