Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:24:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would bitcoin be considered successful if it remains a niche market?  (Read 1724 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 02:19:33 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2013, 02:33:11 PM by notig

Consider that since bitcoin is a worldwide currency in all countries... a niche market could still mean tens of millions of people. What do you think?

and if it was in such a situation how much do you think it could still be worth?
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 05:22:20 PM

I think Bitcoin will at best remain a niche currency. Because of exchange costs and exchange rate risk it can never compete directly against fiat-denominated e-payment schemes (credit cards etcetera).

However, if the block size limit issue can be solved (I was surprised there seems to be a significant group of people who want to keep the 1M limit for ever) bitcoin could be a relatively succesful niche currency. In that case 1BTC would be worth at least several hundred dollars.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 05:25:40 PM

I think Bitcoin will at best remain a niche currency. Because of exchange costs and exchange rate risk it can never compete directly against fiat-denominated e-payment schemes (credit cards etcetera).

However, if the block size limit issue can be solved (I was surprised there seems to be a significant group of people who want to keep the 1M limit for ever) bitcoin could be a relatively succesful niche currency. In that case 1BTC would be worth at least several hundred dollars.

How is a maximum of 0.6% exchange fee too high compared to credit cards?  Have you ever had a credit card merchant account?

Exchange rate risk will always be there, but merchants don't have to care since there are plenty of services that provide instant conversion.  Even with these services the fess are less than CC merchant fees.  However, if history is any indication, the exchange rate risk will continue to be less of a factor with time.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 05:30:17 PM

How is a maximum of 0.6% exchange fee too high compared to credit cards?  Have you ever had a credit card merchant account?

Exchange rate risk will always be there, but merchants don't have to care since there are plenty of services that provide instant conversion.  Even with these services the fess are less than CC merchant fees.  However, if history is any indication, the exchange rate risk will continue to be less of a factor with time.

i am a merchant that accepts cc's and it's maddening watching the cc processors constantly trying to sneak in fee increases.  also now i have to take that annoying yearly security compliance test.

Bitcoin is much cheaper to transact in and the fixed supply ultimately will result in a much higher price.
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 05:50:40 PM

0.6% exchange fee means 1.2% round-trip (fiat to fiat). 1.2% is more than what most credit card processors take where I'm from. Debit cards are even cheaper at around 0.3% (Of course there are also subscription fees but they're peanuts if you have any kind of volume.)
notme
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 05:57:24 PM

How is a maximum of 0.6% exchange fee too high compared to credit cards?  Have you ever had a credit card merchant account?

Exchange rate risk will always be there, but merchants don't have to care since there are plenty of services that provide instant conversion.  Even with these services the fess are less than CC merchant fees.  However, if history is any indication, the exchange rate risk will continue to be less of a factor with time.

0.6% exchange fee means 1.2% round-trip (fiat to fiat). 1.2% is more than what most credit card processors take where I'm from. Debit cards are even cheaper at around 0.3% (Of course there are also subscription fees but they're peanuts if you have any kind of volume.)

First, that's worst case.  I always use limit orders on bitfloor.com, so I actually get paid when my order is filled.  Second, the merchant only has to convert once.  Third, there are no subscription fees, but if you have any kind of volume you can get the fee for market orders down to 0.25%.  Finally, those types of fees may be available for brick and mortar stores in low-risk businesses, but any type of CC processing online will be closer to 3-4% for low risk businesses, and 5-15% for high risk businesses.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 05:58:31 PM

The hindrance for Bitcoin to become anything else than a niche currency is price stickiness.
Sadly this has nothing to do with the price in relation to other currencies but the amount of bitcoin which remain out of circulation for the majority of the time.

I don't know what can be done about this.
xuemike

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 10:49:17 PM

what does that mean 1.2% round trip? Don't you just convert once at 0.6% from BTC to USD?
notme
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:22:08 PM

what does that mean 1.2% round trip? Don't you just convert once at 0.6% from BTC to USD?

He means the customer buys the btc and the merchants sells them.  In reality, many transactions don't happen like that, but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt since I can make my point even with his overestimating assumption.

notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 01:10:00 AM

what exactly is the block chain size problem? the block chain is basically the public ledger that records transactions right?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 01:27:48 AM

what exactly is the block chain size problem? the block chain is basically the public ledger that records transactions right?

Since Bitcoin attributes the same importance to every transaction they are all stored in the blocks, no matter how small. Even automated micro transactions.
It's also some of a policy issue since it would, in theory be possible to pay miners to merge multiple transactions into larger ones by rolling back the blockchain, but that won't happen, at least not for Bitcoin because nobody would pay for it and it's too late to make it part of the block reward.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 01:42:59 AM

Would bitcoin be considered successful if it remains a niche market?

bitcoin IS successful, theirs nothing you cant buy NOTHING. ( at the right price  Wink )

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 02:00:42 AM

Bitcoin would be a 50B currency if it only become the de facto currency of the online gambling, adult and international
money transfer industries.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 06:23:06 AM

Yes, very much so.

evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 08:17:43 AM

and if it was in such a situation how much do you think it could still be worth?

Whatever someone is willing to pay.

Beyond that, who knows?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: