Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:58:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Free electricity" for "everyone"  (Read 4298 times)
JackH (OP)

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:03:14 PM

One thing I just wanted to mention to anyone that mines, is that Regus (http://www.regus.com/) which is probably the largest office rental in the world, is offering (because they never calculate power separately) offices quite cheap, especially in regions outside of mayor cities.

I noticed a number of people complaining about Watt prices for rigs, and I assumed that was for those running 10+ rigs. It would actually make more sense to place those in a Regus office (the smallest 2 person ones), and just have electricity, and you may actually break even in certain places. Just a heads up, which definitely made sense with GPU monsters. Dont know if this will apply to the ASIC game.

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:45:16 PM

Nice, drive around their known locations at night with a thermal camera.

Kick in the door when you spot an office with an orange glow!
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 11:47:08 PM

One thing I just wanted to mention to anyone that mines, is that Regus (http://www.regus.com/) which is probably the largest office rental in the world, is offering (because they never calculate power separately) offices quite cheap, especially in regions outside of mayor cities.

I noticed a number of people complaining about Watt prices for rigs, and I assumed that was for those running 10+ rigs. It would actually make more sense to place those in a Regus office (the smallest 2 person ones), and just have electricity, and you may actually break even in certain places. Just a heads up, which definitely made sense with GPU monsters. Dont know if this will apply to the ASIC game.
They're that cheap?   

Can you sleep in them too?   Grin
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 12:13:14 AM

The only reason they are able to provide cheap, unmetered rental is because people generally are ethical enough not to waste electricity. Doing so is spoiling it for everyone.

This idea is, quite frankly, appalling.
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 10:20:42 AM

Why not just rent cheap motel rooms and bring surge protectors? Even better, rent out an extended stay room with weekly rates. Hop around every week so they don't start to notice the ridiculous power usage. Just go on a mining spree for like a month.
mitty

Activity: 359

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:20:12 PM

Why not just rent cheap motel rooms and bring surge protectors? Even better, rent out an extended stay room with weekly rates. Hop around every week so they don't start to notice the ridiculous power usage. Just go on a mining spree for like a month.
Let's say you can pull 5000 watts from a hotel room. (You might be able to pull more depending on if the A/C unit is hardwired or has a plug, but I think 5000w is a very generous estimate)

If your power normally costs $0.15/kwh, 5000 watts for 24 hours would cost you $18.

I doubt you'll find any hotel room (any room capable of supplying 5000 watts at least) for less than that rate. :p
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 09:35:58 PM

You can't pull enough amps in the Regus offices.  I am sucking down 15KW as I type this.  In the summertime I was taking down around 22KW with cooling.  No way you are going to get that kind of power out of a 110V outlet.

mitty

Activity: 359

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 10:28:10 PM

You can't pull enough amps in the Regus offices.  I am sucking down 15KW as I type this.  In the summertime I was taking down around 22KW with cooling.  No way you are going to get that kind of power out of a 110V outlet.

Just out of curiosity did your utility company or the local authorities ever give you any trouble over your high power usage?  Or are you running your mining operation out of commercial/industrial space?
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 03:32:18 AM

I run my machines in my commercial warehouse.  I have 1200amp 240V service so I have plenty of power.  The building used to be a metal fab shop.  I have had no troubles.  I have also run 10KW worth of GPU's in my garage for about a year without any problems.
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 07:53:06 AM

Let's say you can pull 5000 watts from a hotel room. (You might be able to pull more depending on if the A/C unit is hardwired or has a plug, but I think 5000w is a very generous estimate)

If your power normally costs $0.15/kwh, 5000 watts for 24 hours would cost you $18.

I doubt you'll find any hotel room (any room capable of supplying 5000 watts at least) for less than that rate. :p

Problem is you have to have other things running while at home like t.v., lights etc. That will add to your cost. In the room it would be no extra cost. Plus add in people living with you. They are using power as well.

But I get what you are saying. Of course, each individual has to run their own numbers to make it work. Just a thought.

How about mining with solar power? Solar power is free! Just pay the initial investment for a generator.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 10:41:36 AM

Problem is you have to have other things running while at home like t.v., lights etc. That will add to your cost. In the room it would be no extra cost. Plus add in people living with you. They are using power as well.

But I get what you are saying. Of course, each individual has to run their own numbers to make it work. Just a thought.

How about mining with solar power? Solar power is free! Just pay the initial investment for a generator.

where i'm at, if you use more power you get a cheaper rate
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 08:54:13 PM

Hehe I had a vision about some cyberpunk movie where the matrix-like crew ran around stealing power from big industrial plants in the effort to mine a fraction of a btc.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: