Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 08:23:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with old miners?  (Read 3161 times)
Obeseskydiver (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 11:00:58 PM

Hey there, I currently have 4 S3 miners. I am going to purchase an S5 soon. What do most of you guys do with your old miners? Do you guys sell your old miners or just use them in your mining software?

venan

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

https://dreamtowards.net/?inviter=venan

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 11:05:34 PM

if you have free electric power, you can use then with s5, if not you can easily sell them. many newbies are trying to buy cheap antminers to learn basics of mining and  how are they working.

good luck in selling Wink

HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 11:07:08 PM

You could use the frame etc. with these, when they become available: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1368507.300
If you have DIY skills.

Obeseskydiver (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 11:17:19 PM

if you have free electric power, you can use then with s5, if not you can easily sell them. many newbies are trying to buy cheap antminers to learn basics of mining and  how are they working.

good luck in selling Wink

This is great for me, I do have free electric power. I'm going to have to buy a better switch, currently using 2 routers as switches.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 12:40:42 AM

Sell them on Craigslist or undervolt and use them.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 12:44:02 AM

Hey there, I currently have 4 S3 miners. I am going to purchase an S5 soon. What do most of you guys do with your old miners? Do you guys sell your old miners or just use them in your mining software?

I presume you could sell them.
For fast startup, the control computers are the same I think so you can just switch them over.

You can sell the S4s back to bitmaintech or to users on this forum on the marketplace.
Obeseskydiver (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 09:30:43 PM

What do you mean "undervolt and use them?"
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 10:18:55 PM

Undervolting is where you attempt to reduce voltage/clock speed and current of the miners.

Don't do this, it is rather useless, otherwise you would just run them at a normal speed.

That advice doesn't seem too useful.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 10:23:35 PM

Sell them is what I would do.   I sell all of my old gear and buy BTC, then buy new gear with it.   I have normal electricity... so my S3's sold long ago.   I try to sell  when I know I will make more off sell then at my electricity rate just mining them.  But it is speculation to a point.

Either way your better off selling and getting BTC over them setting around collecting dust.
snipie
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1140

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2016, 10:29:28 PM

Dunno if you can use it to mine a profitable altcoins especially if you have free electricity otherwise just sell it before it is too late with the increasing difficulty and the new equipments  Smiley

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 10:48:15 PM

Dunno if you can use it to mine a profitable altcoins especially if you have free electricity otherwise just sell it before it is too late with the increasing difficulty and the new equipments  Smiley

Even if late it's still better to sell vs sitting and collecting dust.  Lets say he gets 50 dollars for 4... thats roughly .45+ of BTC.   So almost a half a bitcoin now, even with waiting so long.

And if he ever needs he can buy back at cheaper down the road.  That has been part of my reasoning is they lose value sitting there.  So I can always buy later for cheaper in most cases.  So you come out ahead selling again.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 11:36:12 PM

Sell them on ebay and amazon. Plenty of suckers out there waiting to buy outdated miners at high prices. Suckers like me who don't buy from places like bitcointalk... oh yeah... Sad
for example, S1s sell on US amazon for 59$, and ebay around 40. You can get them nearly free (10$) on bitcointalk excluding shipping.
FUBAR-BDHR

Activity: 702

★The Best Adult Video Chat Platform★

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 03:44:17 AM

Why would you buy an S5 and not go with an S7?  S5 will be nearly obsolete before you hook it up unless you are getting it really cheap.  The free electric is a bonus but still got with the better unit.

SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 3465

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 06:06:04 AM

Yes, old miners are being sold always, mostly after the ROI and to help gather funds for newer and more efficient miners instead. If I were you, I would sell all four of your S3's and then purchase one of those $100 off coupons for an S7 that many are selling lately for cheap and go buy an S7 instead in which you mentioned, you don't have a free electricity, it would be the right thing to do since their the most efficient plus their price has dropped hugely on recent times.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 10:12:17 AM

Put it on Ebay or Craigslist and wait for a dumb person to pay over the odds for it. Some people are never gonna learn.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 02:05:32 PM

I'm not sure if they are that old that you will not get anything for it anymore because the shipping cost might even more than it's worth. But there are users that buy older tech because they somehow have no electricity cost or it's so cheap that these miners will still work for them.

You might simply try and see if someone is interested. Doesn't cost anything except time.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Cantoner

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 08:31:32 AM

Undervolting is where you attempt to reduce voltage/clock speed and current of the miners.

Don't do this, it is rather useless, otherwise you would just run them at a normal speed.

That advice doesn't seem too useful.

Undervolting and underclocking can reduce the power consumption quite a lot. It may increase the efficiency by 40%, but the hash rate will also reduce.
GermanGiant

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 10:05:04 AM

This is why people should turn to cloud mining, so that they do not have to deal with old hardware sales to recover initial investments.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 10:15:13 AM

nothing, just throw them to basement...maybe you will laugh yourself later:P
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1254

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 01:43:02 PM

This is why people should turn to cloud mining, so that they do not have to deal with old hardware sales to recover initial investments.

Except for the fact that 99% of sites purporting to be 'cloud mining' are actually ponzi scams. Just like the one in GG's sig.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: