Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:24:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I sure do miss the GLBSE  (Read 3702 times)
redbeans2012 (OP)

Activity: 887
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:01:24 AM

Holy smokes trying to understand the Mpex and making my head spin.  Anything as user friendly as the GLBSE out there? or on its way?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:07:40 AM

While MPEX is UX nightmare it is probably the most secure since it uses GPG keys to sign contracts.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:44:06 AM

https://btct.co/

redbeans2012 (OP)

Activity: 887

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:45:23 AM

Nice thanks.. Been out of the loop for a second.
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 07:19:55 AM

Nice thanks.. Been out of the loop for a second.

There's also bitfunder.com and cryptostocks.com. The community is a little split right now on which one is going to take the lead. All three have strong points. I think at this point it could go either way.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 07:22:16 AM

BTCT.CO has my vote!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Namworld

Activity: 745
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 07:43:52 AM

And mine. Although BitFunder is nice too. I downvote cryptostocks.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 11:12:35 AM

Anything as user friendly as the GLBSE out there? or on its way?

Depending on what you are looking to trade on MPEx, CoinBr might provide it:
 - https://coinbr.com/about

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 11:17:25 AM

While MPEX is UX nightmare it is probably the most secure since it uses GPG keys to sign contracts.

I agree that MPEX is probably the most secure.  Not because of the GPG signing of trades, but because of the manual withdrawals and the fact that it's been around longer.

In general I think GPG authenticated trading is going to be less secure than Google Authenticator / Yubikey 2FA authenticated trading because for convenience you usually have your GPG keys stored somewhere on your desktop where viruses may be able to get at it.

GPG in general also has no replay attack prevention, whereas Google Authenticator and Yubikey both are time based and you can expand on the built-in time based replay prevention by storing the key and denying use of the same key twice in the window during which the key is valid.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  (wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last!)

I'll also add a +1 for coinbr.com, bitfunder.com, and btct.co.

Cheers.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 12:08:59 PM

Contract wise (even though I don't really agree with the operator(s), but that also didn't keep me from mining at Eligius...) and transparency wise MPEX is unfortunately the only place that can shine. They release statements regularly, have contracts that consist of more than "Check out the forum thread at X" and even though the UX is horrible, they manage to keep their site alive and their users trading.

All in all (as much hate Nefario has gotte over time) I miss GLBSE not because of it's interface (I used it already when it was a command line application... *shudder*) but because at least before the GLBSE 2.0 times it was easy and possible to have features implemented that you might want to have, they have never been hacked and even after they suddenly went big Nefario tried his best (up to the stage of burn out) to make sure it was constantly improved.

On the other hand he took some quick and sometimes harsh decisions (Goat...) on his own which a bit conflicted with his general image - nobody gives a damn if MPOE-PR spews bile and swears at any new potential start-up because that's kinda expected from her. Nefario however was kinda expected to be some kind of nice old grandpa that silently watches over his thriving stock exchange and smiling + nodding all the time while on the other hand improving both the backend and the frontend at the same time, since he anyways earned millions (MILLIONS!) with all that trading going on...

Still I miss GLBSE, the current markets look rather like the next Bitcoinica (done over a weekend) to me and I for sure am not going to trust them with any serious amount of coin.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 12:40:01 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2013, 01:03:26 AM by burnside

Contract wise (even though I don't really agree with the operator(s), but that also didn't keep me from mining at Eligius...) and transparency wise MPEX is unfortunately the only place that can shine. They release statements regularly, have contracts that consist of more than "Check out the forum thread at X" and even though the UX is horrible, they manage to keep their site alive and their users trading.

Still I miss GLBSE, the current markets look rather like the next Bitcoinica (done over a weekend) to me and I for sure am not going to trust them with any serious amount of coin.

On the contract side of things, a lot of issuers have been seeing push-back from the mods on btct.co.  It's forced them to improve their contracts, and the site supports full basic prospectus input that can be edited over time separately from the contract.  On the issuer side we have detailed info on what to put into each of the fields, so in theory if the issuer answers all the questions at the end you have a much better picture than you used to with GLBSE assets.  Check out https://btct.co/create for an idea of what I'm talking about.  I don't think we'll ever get to full-on MPEx style contracts for everyone, but the goal is to provide the tools so that an outstanding issuer can shine.

I can also assure you that btct.co is no bitcoinica/clone/bootstrap/ripoff/whatever.  The features provided ensure that any issues the site has will have minimal impact on end users and issuers.  It has taken nearly 6 months of evenings and weekends to write and I've been creating sites for the better part of the last 15 years.  You won't see a lot of graphics though, as graphic design is a skill that I absolutely do not have.   Cheesy

I do miss GLBSE too though!  Mostly because of all my coins and assets that went *poof* when it shutdown.   Wink

BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 12:57:42 AM

All in all (as much hate Nefario has gotte over time) I miss GLBSE not because of it's interface (I used it already when it was a command line application... *shudder*) but because at least before the GLBSE 2.0 times it was easy and possible to have features implemented that you might want to have, they have never been hacked and even after they suddenly went big Nefario tried his best (up to the stage of burn out) to make sure it was constantly improved.

On the other hand he took some quick and sometimes harsh decisions (Goat...) on his own which a bit conflicted with his general image - nobody gives a damn if MPOE-PR spews bile and swears at any new potential start-up because that's kinda expected from her. Nefario however was kinda expected to be some kind of nice old grandpa that silently watches over his thriving stock exchange and smiling + nodding all the time while on the other hand improving both the backend and the frontend at the same time, since he anyways earned millions (MILLIONS!) with all that trading going on...

Think this is the biggest set back for MPEX, if they got ride of the PR person I would use them. That and the rumors of illegal activities on the same server as the exchange. If I was the owner of MPEX I would hire a new PR person, it has cost them more money then she/he is worth I can promise you that.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1042

👻

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 01:03:55 AM

There is also http://bitfunder.com/ Smiley
buzzdave
VIP

Activity: 472

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 02:41:32 AM

picostocks.com is just getting going too

Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 03:24:10 AM

Nefario did fuck-all to GLBSE development wise after 2.0 and the site ran as slow as fuck. He was also a retard when it came to finance.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:17:10 AM

In general I think GPG authenticated trading is going to be less secure than Google Authenticator / Yubikey 2FA authenticated trading because for convenience you usually have your GPG keys stored somewhere on your desktop where viruses may be able to get at it.

Do you mean passphrase or actual private key?

GPG in general also has no replay attack prevention

Well, you can't replay MPEx orders as it is.

since he anyways earned millions (MILLIONS!) with all that trading going on...

What are you, nuts? GLBSE made something like 3k BTC over the course of its entire lifespan. That's MPOE's take for a week in January. What billions.

picostocks.com is just getting going too

Buzz off, scammer. The adults are talking.

Nefario did fuck-all to GLBSE development wise after 2.0 and the site ran as slow as fuck. He was also a retard when it came to finance.

Nostalgia, you understand, is a mildewy regret for one's own youth sprayed over one's memories. People were nostalgic for Stalin for crying out loud.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 10:48:14 AM

Do you mean passphrase or actual private key?

Both are compromised to a virus.  The intelligent (paranoid) investor will 2FA it by using an offline computer for signing trades with sneakernet usb sticks for transferring the signed orders.  That's why I used the word convenience up above.  We should take a poll sometime to see how many traders actually do this. 

GPG in general also has no replay attack prevention

Well, you can't replay MPEx orders as it is.

Good to know.  How does it work?  Just deny two of the same order?  I didn't see a nonce or timestamp in the trade docs.

Cheers.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 12:00:11 PM

Both are compromised to a virus.

Leaving aside that on any OS with half-decent permissions "a virus" doesn't really mean much in general, you could trivially set your gpg-signing to a certain dedicated userspace and a large part of the problem is solved (even if someone manages to install a keylogger on your usual account it won't do much). As far as I know the gpg ring is encrypted, so simple access to the files without the passphrase is not much help either.

That's why I used the word convenience up above.  We should take a poll sometime to see how many traders actually do this.

Actually plenty do. What's it take, an old laptop and a qr reader? That's a 10 Bitcoin budget, they've already spent more than that to get the account in the first place.

How does it work?

Yeah...well....

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 03:29:12 PM

Think this is the biggest set back for MPEX, if they got ride of the PR person I would use them. That and the rumors of illegal activities on the same server as the exchange. If I was the owner of MPEX I would hire a new PR person, it has cost them more money then she/he is worth I can promise you that.

I find it kind of endearing. I reserve some degree of skepticism about their comments regarding their direct competitors, but it doesn't tend to be very strong when they carry just a few very strong securities and most other bitcoin securities are pass throughs for MPEX listed businesses or crap.

Trolling is an art form ingrained into the cultural fabric of the internet. Mr. Popescu has embraced it as a marketing strategy and it doesn't seem to be doing him poorly. There's some egg on his face from the Rota experiment and if BFL ever ships a bit more. I find that overshadowed for the most part by the number of people on the receiving end of caustic remarks by MPOE-PR, who very clearly merit them. I'm almost half convinced the abrasiveness is part of a cost saving measure to keep idiots out so they don't have to deal with the tech support or intolerable prospectuses.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 04:20:15 PM

There's some egg on his face from the Rota experiment and if BFL ever ships a bit more.

As they say, egg happens.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: