Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:26:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What percent of your net worth is in bitcoin?
< 0.5% - 10 (6.3%)
0.5 - 1% - 9 (5.7%)
1 - 3% - 19 (11.9%)
3 - 10% - 23 (14.5%)
10 - 25% - 38 (23.9%)
25 - 50% - 20 (12.6%)
50%+ - 40 (25.2%)
Total Voters: 159

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [poll] What Percent of your Net Worth is in Bitcoin? And why?  (Read 3159 times)
jtibble (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 02:52:15 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2013, 03:20:57 PM by jtibble

Hello everybody,

I'm curious what percent of your net worth you keep in bitcoin, especially as this thread grows and takes on a life of its own over the months and years.

When doing the math for yourself, sum up the value of all the assets you own: your bitcoins, liquid assets (cash), illiquid assets (house, car, etc), gold/silver, 401k, investments, and your bank accounts. Divide your bitcoins' worth by the sum total and report back here! A spreadsheet is helpful.

I recently did a survey of my personal finances, and to my surprise, I'm at 0.832%. I spend much more than 0.832% of my time thinking about bitcoin, so this made me wonder why I'm so fascinated by something I have so little stake in. I plan to increase my holdings over time, until bitcoins make roughly 10-15% of the total. Of course, as bitcoins grow in value, this will happen slowly and gradually, but I've made the conscious decision to migrate some of my worth from dollars and stocks to bitcoin, which I trust and support much more than the US financial system.

What are your thoughts? Why are you (or aren't you) more or less invested in bitcoin, on a personal level? How did you get to be so invested (or so little-invested) in bitcoin?

Cheers,
jtibble

EDIT: Also count bitcoin-related-investments as bitcoin as well, since they can be quickly liquidated back into bitcoin. Thanks!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 03:13:20 PM

Hello everybody,

I'm curious what percent of your net worth you keep in bitcoin, especially as this thread grows and takes on a life of its own over the months and years.

When doing the math for yourself, sum up the value of all the assets you own: your bitcoins, liquid assets (cash), illiquid assets (house, car, etc), gold/silver, 401k, investments, and your bank accounts. Divide your bitcoins' worth by the sum total and report back here! A spreadsheet is helpful.

I recently did a survey of my personal finances, and to my surprise, I'm at 0.832%. I spend much more than 0.832% of my time thinking about bitcoin, so this made me wonder why I'm so fascinated by something I have so little stake in. I plan to increase my holdings over time, until bitcoins make roughly 10-15% of the total. Of course, as bitcoins grow in value, this will happen slowly and gradually, but I've made the conscious decision to migrate some of my worth from dollars and stocks to bitcoin, which I trust and support much more than the US financial system.

What are your thoughts? Why are you (or aren't you) more or less invested in bitcoin, on a personal level? How did you get to be so invested (or so little-invested) in bitcoin?

Should we count things like bitcoins realated investments (such as shares of SatoshiDice) as bitcoin or not?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
jtibble (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 03:19:50 PM

Should we count things like bitcoins realated investments (such as shares of SatoshiDice) as bitcoin or not?

Yeah, I think that would be good. I'll make an edit-note of it in the original post. Thanks!
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 05:05:42 PM

I put about 5% of my income into bitcoins every week. I move half of them to a paper wallet and pretend they don't exist anymore. I like to play with the other half  Smiley
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 05:24:51 PM

I started with 1% and then it became 7% in about a year.
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 05:29:24 PM

50% or more, true believer  Smiley

der_meister

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 05:32:08 PM

40-45%

true believer  Smiley

+1 Smiley

Moving on is a simple thing,
what it leaves behind is hard...
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 05:36:52 PM

Probably about 90%.

It's a dice roll but I feel the odds are definitely in my favor.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
dancupid

Activity: 955

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 05:43:27 PM

Replying to myself.
People say you shouldn't invest more than you can afford to lose - but with bitcoin I may suddenly think that the value of the bitcoins I bought cheaply may be worth more than I want to lose.  It's a strange psychological position to be in.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:10:28 PM

Replying to myself.
People say you shouldn't invest more than you can afford to lose - but with bitcoin I may suddenly think that the value of the bitcoins I bought cheaply may be worth more than I want to lose.  It's a strange psychological position to be in.

If your assets have appreciated, it might be a good idea to sell some off to lock in your gains and diversify into other investments.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:47:10 PM

I have no idea how to calculate what percent my bitcoin holdings are because my net worth is negative.  Fucking student loans.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
jtibble (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 07:12:44 PM

I have no idea how to calculate what percent my bitcoin holdings are because my net worth is negative.  Fucking student loans.

In my calculation, I didn't factor in my student loans either. I just summed up all the things I own and found my bitcoin holdings as a percent of that, but I suppose that isn't precisely "net worth".
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 07:18:45 PM

Hmm... interesting. If you divide a number by 0, well, it can't be done. However, dividing a positive number (your btc) by a negative number (your net worth) you get a negative number.

But. Your net worth is calculated by summing your total assets and then subtracting your liabilities.

Maybe you could calculate the ratio of your bitcoin holds to debt.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 07:24:30 PM

50+%, but about 90% of it came from bitcoin in the first place.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 07:31:07 PM

100%.

My asset holdings less my debt is negative (due to student loans), so ~ 50 BTC / 0 = ∞ (or 100%, if we want to be practical).
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 07:37:15 PM

Around 1%. Because I do not have the privilege of being able to allot a significant percentage of my worth into speculative investments.

On the other hand, my Bitcoin holdings constitute around 25% of what I have invested in any kind of instruments or currency.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 07:55:32 PM

I am confused, I think you mean to say you bought around $2 ?  Or did bitcoin used to be 90% of your holdings?
notme
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 08:53:58 PM

I am confused, I think you mean to say you bought around $2 ?  Or did bitcoin used to be 90% of your holdings?

He diversified his bitcoin profit, same as I have.

Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 09:39:01 PM

The asset value of my house is enough negative to cancel out all other assets, lol.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 09:39:57 PM

The asset value of my house is enough negative to cancel out all other assets, lol.

You shouldn't have overpaid Wink.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: