Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:36:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rise And Rise of Bitcoin  (Read 2091 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 02:45:42 AM

It may be a bit premature to say this... but the rate at which different entrepreneurial companies and people are utilizing bitcoin is the best sign(for me) of things to come.  I remember a little over a year ago when I almost bought bitcoins........ but I looked around and said to myself "where are bitcoins being used? Barely anywhere. What about that one gambling site clubs with seals? Hmm it seems pretty dead" . But now things are totally different than that. It's really cool to watch.

Personally I consider bitcoins a really good invention with regard to freedom itself. Not better than the internet itself.......... but it may just be second. I don't really go to bars or parties much but if there was a bitcoin gathering near me I'd probably go!
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 04:36:22 AM

It may be a bit premature to say this... but the rate at which different entrepreneurial companies and people are utilizing bitcoin is the best sign(for me) of things to come.  I remember a little over a year ago when I almost bought bitcoins........ but I looked around and said to myself "where are bitcoins being used? Barely anywhere. What about that one gambling site clubs with seals? Hmm it seems pretty dead" . But now things are totally different than that. It's really cool to watch.

Personally I consider bitcoins a really good invention with regard to freedom itself. Not better than the internet itself.......... but it may just be second. I don't really go to bars or parties much but if there was a bitcoin gathering near me I'd probably go!

About the only function I've gone to in the last decade was a Bitcoin gathering which occured a stone toss (not even a throw) from where I happened to be.  It was quite underwhelming to be honest.

As for the value, I retain the philosophy that I came to after understanding the solution 1.5 years ago.  The real-world problem solving potential of the solution and the abundance of BTC to back-fill the potential need argue for valuations literally orders of magnitude greater than what we see today.

It is interesting to note that Bitcoin can provide an exchange function irrespective of the values.  Obviously price stability would be pretty useful.  But if people hoard them hoping for higher valuations it could cause a truly impressive spike in values at some point.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 05:08:11 AM

I agree that bitcoins is a great innovation and that i would love to go to a bitcoin convention. I think the biggest problem is people scamming and the difficulty to get coins. People will abandon bitcoin if it is hard to use and people steal from them. The average person is not going to kiss peoples ass to get a few stinking bitcoins. It need to be made easy.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 05:38:53 AM

I agree that bitcoins is a great innovation and that i would love to go to a bitcoin convention. I think the biggest problem is people scamming and the difficulty to get coins. People will abandon bitcoin if it is hard to use and people steal from them. The average person is not going to kiss peoples ass to get a few stinking bitcoins. It need to be made easy.

I agree completely, the biggest impediments to adoption are scamming issues (or the perception of scamming issues) and the difficulty of use and acquiring coins.

Fortunately, both are being solved with time.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 06:04:22 AM

The difficulty in obtaining them has more to do with traditional banking systems than Bitcoin.

absolutely!

in comparison, let's say you have LTC for example... in that case obtaining Bitcoins is not difficult at all.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 02:37:46 PM

If governments ever start tracking the blockchain to ferret people out, while LTC is still under the radar it could serve as the ultimate BTC "tumbler" and might cause LTC price to slightly explode.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 02:55:51 PM

If governments ever start tracking the blockchain to ferret people out, while LTC is still under the radar it could serve as the ultimate BTC "tumbler" and might cause LTC price to slightly explode.
Nah, governments would know that LTC is the superior blockchain and is the real threat to go after.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 05:09:37 PM

I have a solution to the problem of availability of bitcoin. No one wants to hear it but that is my goal to give bitcoins to the masses and that is what I do. It is not 100% percent risk free but I do get coins to people fast and easy. I just dont have enough coins! I think that ltc is the next bitcoin for sure. I will buy more when I get my next batch of btc. I am also giving away a free litecoin for liking our page on facebook litecoin friends. If you want to know how I sell to the general public on ebay and facebook for Paypal and have 99.8% success rate you can look under photos on bitcoin friends and see our selling procedure you can also see under completed listings for bitcoin on ebay. My user name is northoutboards.   
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 06:23:25 PM

I have a solution to the problem of availability of bitcoin. No one wants to hear it but that is my goal to give bitcoins to the masses and that is what I do. It is not 100% percent risk free but I do get coins to people fast and easy. I just dont have enough coins! I think that ltc is the next bitcoin for sure. I will buy more when I get my next batch of btc. I am also giving away a free litecoin for liking our page on facebook litecoin friends. If you want to know how I sell to the general public on ebay and facebook for Paypal and have 99.8% success rate you can look under photos on bitcoin friends and see our selling procedure you can also see under completed listings for bitcoin on ebay. My user name is northoutboards.   

Just a data-point on Litecoin (and Bitcoin.)

I looked at it briefly when it was pretty new.  My sense was that it was not a scam like various other efforts, but it went in mostly exactly the opposite way of what I saw as a durable and scalable cryptocurrency.  Again though, I just scanned things.

My friend is still working on downloading the Bitcoin blockchain after several weeks.  He would like to participate as a full member in the solution and try to add his part to strengthen it.

He also started messing with Litecoin where it is possible, I guess, to participate in mining and the blockchain is less unwieldy.  Cudos to him, and cudos to Litecoin if the accessibility is more than just a function of not being as mature (or not yet having caught the Satoshi Dice plague...)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 02:52:16 AM

Looks like it wasn't premature!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: