Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:07:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone just told me this today... WTF  (Read 1814 times)
danieldaniel (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 11:57:46 PM

A person (who shall remain unnamed) in my high school told me that they bought an alienware laptop from someone (worth around $2k) for $250.  Immediately, alarm bells went off, so I asked him how he got it for so cheap.  What he said disgusted me:

He bought it from a guy in Italy who told him that it was with a stolen credit card.

I dont get this.  How can someone morally accept that they are blatantly defrauding some poor unsuspecting person?  I mean, I get it, Amazon.com will probably take the heat for it, but I still don't get it.

How the hell can people think that this is OK?  And, I mean, the guy was 14 or 15 years old.  At such a young age, buying a laptop with a stolen credit card.

I worry about the next generation of humanity.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 12:06:33 AM

almost everything has a good and a bad side

eg. the more credit cards that are stolen, the more careful people will be with their credit card numbers

he could be doing the 'victim' a favour... but no-one other than the victim will ever know whether this is the case

you are simply speculating that this is bad from his point of view, when in reality you don't know him, his personality, etc.

life-changing events can also change people's lives in a positive way, despite how unrelated third-parties may judge the event from the outside.
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:03:55 AM

almost everything has a good and a bad side

eg. the more credit cards that are stolen, the more careful people will be with their credit card numbers

he could be doing the 'victim' a favour... but no-one other than the victim will ever know whether this is the case

you are simply speculating that this is bad from his point of view, when in reality you don't know him, his personality, etc.

life-changing events can also change people's lives in a positive way, despite how unrelated third-parties may judge the event from the outside.
Well, it's not as if the victim had to have been stupid with their CC info.  Many credit card thefts are at no fault to the victim.

Also, I cant think of _one_ person who would want to have their CC stolen.  I don't think personality matters too much there.

payb.tc

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:10:11 AM

Also, I cant think of _one_ person who would want to have their CC stolen.  I don't think personality matters too much there.

i never said he wanted to have his CC stolen, only that having it stolen may have had a positive effect on his life.

not knowing him or his situation or his personality, i can't say whether this event was bad or good.
jcpham

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

Your Argument is Irrelephant

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:11:45 AM

;;votekick danieldaniel
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:22:25 AM

i never said he wanted to have his CC stolen, only that having it stolen may have had a positive effect on his life.

not knowing him or his situation or his personality, i can't say whether this event was bad or good.

I don't really understand what you're saying.  How can having something stolen -- not at fault to them -- have a positive effect on his life (not being sarcastic, I actually want to know what you're thinking)?

;;votekick danieldaniel
;;voteban jcpham
;;tell jcpham LOLUMADBRO

payb.tc

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:26:10 AM

Also, I cant think of _one_ person who would want to have their CC stolen.  I don't think personality matters too much there.

I don't really understand what you're saying.  How can having something stolen -- not at fault to them -- have a positive effect on his life (not being sarcastic, I actually want to know what you're thinking)?

this hardly requires much imagination, so it's perplexing that some may find it difficult, but here's just one of a billion possibilities:

guy is lonely, wants a girlfriend
guy has cc stolen, goes to bank to address the issue and meets the teller of his dreams
guy weds teller and has kids, grandkids
guy tells grandkids, "my life really turned around that day, i'm so glad my cc was stolen"

looking back, i can say that having had my house burgled in 1993 had a hugely positive effect on my diligence for security and data backups. and i'm glad it happened.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 01:27:43 AM

He's not defrauding anyone. They just write it off.  Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZRqH7sRyA

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:27:57 AM

Whether or not the victim is actually better off in the long run or not has nothing to do with the buyer's lack of moral convictions.

Of course, we are talking about a teenager in high school.  My own mores were not very solid at that age either.  But knowingly buying stolen property is still a crime.  Perhaps you should educate your schoolmate, if possible?

As for all this ;;voteban crap.  This is not a democracy.  No one gets kicked because they express an opinion, even if it's obviously bullsh*t.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
payb.tc

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:30:47 AM

Whether or not the victim is actually better off in the long run or not has nothing to do with the buyer's lack of moral convictions.

Of course, we are talking about a teenager in high school.  My own mores were not very solid at that age either.  But knowingly buying stolen property is still a crime

also, whether something is a crime or not ALSO has nothing to do with the buyer's morals or lack thereof.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:31:03 AM

He's not defrauding anyone. They just write it off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZRqH7sRyA

Just because they write it off, does not mean it's not a criminal activity.  This is exactly the reason why businesses that accept CC's have to increase their prices buy about 3%, in order to cover the chargeback theft & fraud.  It's just like how shoplifting increases the costs that everyone else pays.

Granted, that's one more reason for Bitcoin uptake, but it's still wrong no matter how you spin it.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:34:04 AM

Of course, we are talking about a teenager in high school.  My own mores were not very solid at that age either.  But knowingly buying stolen property is still a crime

also, whether something is a crime or not ALSO has nothing to do with the buyer's morals or lack thereof.

I intended "crime" in the malum in se sense.  That it's always wrong to knowingly buy stolen property, and it's illegal (or should be) as a reflection of that fact.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Malum+in+se

payb.tc

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:35:11 AM

Just because they write it off, does not mean it's not a criminal activity.

are you being off-topic intentionally?

or are you accidentally confusing the law (not mentioned in the OP) with morality (mentioned in the OP)?

nm, read your above post.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:35:50 AM

Just because they write it off, does not mean it's not a criminal activity.

are you being off-topic intentionally?

or are you accidentally confusing the law (not mentioned in the OP) with morality (mentioned in the OP)?

Dude, just keep reading.

Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 06:52:54 AM

Someone should bring out a credit card where instead of the 3 secret numbers you can instead use a code generated by a yubikey or google auth etc. I think this would be a great invention  Shocked

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 06:55:55 AM

A person (who shall remain unnamed) in my high school told me that they bought an alienware laptop from someone (worth around $2k) for $250.  Immediately, alarm bells went off, so I asked him how he got it for so cheap.  What he said disgusted me:

He bought it from a guy in Italy who told him that it was with a stolen credit card.

I dont get this.  How can someone morally accept that they are blatantly defrauding some poor unsuspecting person?  I mean, I get it, Amazon.com will probably take the heat for it, but I still don't get it.

How the hell can people think that this is OK?  And, I mean, the guy was 14 or 15 years old.  At such a young age, buying a laptop with a stolen credit card.

I worry about the next generation of humanity.
I agree.  It's very sad to see people with such fuzzy morals that they cannot see how something like this is wrong.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 06:57:35 AM

I live in Italy and and I was offered a 2012 MacBook Air for 300€ yesterday. I admit that I really wanted it but I refused.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 08:40:48 AM

I live in Italy and and I was offered a 2012 MacBook Air for 300€ yesterday. I admit that I really wanted it but I refused.

I'll take it.  Cheesy
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 07:13:07 PM

Hah, this is funny.  The guy that he bought the alienware from scammed him, so now he's out $250.

Karma.  It's a bitch.

And I tried to "educate" him, but sadly he didn't really care.  All he could see is that he was getting a great deal on a laptop.  He didn't understand that someone paid for that.

BigFigurez

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 10:20:07 AM

I think people do stuff like this without feeling guilt because of how much the credit card companies and banks rip people off. In the end, they're the ones who will pay for it.

That might just be me though. Still a sad thing to see someone do something like this :/
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: