subSTRATA (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:22:07 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2013, 11:40:10 AM by subSTRATA

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:39:33 PM

In short, guy with mod powers first shamelessly stole my logo idea, screwed all other designers as well and then locked the thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137514.0

What do you mean with mod powers? Xenland isn't a mod as far as I am aware. Anyone can lock their own threads.

Also its practically impossible to prove that someone stole an idea. You need to trademark/patent it.

stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:52:04 PM

In short, guy with mod powers first shamelessly stole my logo idea, screwed all other designers as well and then locked the thread.

Never do spec work again.  Instead of showing a client ideas of what they want and letting them only pay you once what they want is done, you show the client a portfolio of what you have done in the past.  Then get them to GPG sign a contract that states what you will offer for services and how much they will pay.  They pay whether they like your design or not and thus can't claim they had an idea after they see your work.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 07:25:47 PM

What do you mean with mod powers? Xenland isn't a mod as far as I am aware. Anyone can lock their own threads.

News for me. Thread title changed.

Not in all sub-forums. But yes, in a lot of subforums thread starters can lock their own threads and even delete them.

And there is an another scam thread against Xenland open.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 08:37:40 PM

Mods, please move back the thread to original section, Meta. I haven't opened it here because there is still not enough evidence for scammer calling.
It's either Scam accusations or off topic in this case. Meta strictly deals with issues pertaining to the forum only. If the misuse of powers by a mods were the case, meta would have been quite appropriate, but it's evident that wasn't the case.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 10:34:34 PM

You can move threads yourself Smiley
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 08:19:53 AM

While I am a graphic designer, and I don't personally approve of spec work, this bounty WAS SPEC WORK. He said very clearly in the OP it would go on as long as it needed to, that is your cue to expect nothing for sure. If he actually used your logo I could see that being an issue, but did he? Additionally I have worked with Xenland before and despite all the accusations flying around lately, in my experience he is an honest person who would not be interested in robbing forum members.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 08:44:09 AM

While I am a graphic designer, and I don't personally approve of spec work, this bounty WAS SPEC WORK. He said very clearly in the OP it would go on as long as it needed to, that is your cue to expect nothing for sure. If he actually used your logo I could see that being an issue, but did he? Additionally I have worked with Xenland before and despite all the accusations flying around lately, in my experience he is an honest person who would not be interested in robbing forum members.

Didn't get what you meant by spec work at first but now I think I do you meant speculative right? lol Tongue If so that's basically right, I've given up trying to pursue this kind of bullshit because no artist that considers themselves worth anything will work for free ( which is essentially what these contests are ) with only a 'chance' of getting paid afterwards. You have to bear in mind that most people who post these contests up are looking for one major thing and that is a cheap outsourced logo and that's exactly what they're going to get in return for the kind of work they're offering.

While there are some occasional honest people who put them up you're more than likely to have them either run out on you if you make something they like or they'll take months to respond properly, never work for free, never let people screw you over and never let them think they are morally right for messing with people for so long. As an added warning, this is an extremely common problem with any Freelancer work and it basically stems from naive people being taken advantage of.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 03:14:43 AM

Yeah, take it from another artist, you never want to reveal finished work before you've been paid Tongue

Easiest way to combat this is to put a gigantic ugly stamp (something that says sample maybe) on anything you show your client.  Preferably one that can't be photoshopped out  Grin  Then once you're paid, send them the clean file.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2013, 10:56:31 AM

Ahh, the good old "found someone else to do it for free, so no pay for you" (after you'd already submitted your final product) bait/switch.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 08:21:20 AM

When I made my previous statement I was not aware that Xenland posted his own final version of the logo. Having compared the two, Xenland's final version was very clearly derived from subSTRATA's work regardless of the change of font. It is not just similar it is the exact same logo. Additionally, if he really wanted he could probably bring you legal troubles in my opinion. It is not worth tarnishing your image or the possible legal repercussions.

You are mistaking your ease of reproduction of the logo with the work actually done to create it (like most non designers often do) and probably convinced yourself he hasn't done much work to earn your bounty, yet you like his concept. You are completely ignoring every variation he had to create in order to get to that point along with his previous training to become proficient with his craft. It pains me to have to say this as I have enjoyed working with you in the past, but if graphic designers are to be able to sell their services for Bitcoin we NEED to defend each other when theft of service occurs. If there is no enforcement it puts all the Bitcoin based designers here at increased risk of theft.

You should probably pay the man the bounty or create something original. What you have done is not appropriate legally or morally. I believe you to be a reasonable person and I hope you choose to rectify this.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 06:33:18 PM

Any updates on this?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: