Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:24:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this forum have bears?  (Read 5373 times)
Seth Otterstad (OP)

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 12:07:24 AM

I want to read some negative outlook on bitcoin.  The only thing I've seen for this was the recent article by Mencius Moldbug titled "How Bitcoin Dies".  Does this forum have bears, or are there some epic bear posts somewhere I can read?  It makes sense that the bears would not be motivated to stick around posting on a forum about an idea they think will fail, especially with the difficulty in short selling.  But they must have SOME good posts.

http://unqualified-reservations.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/how-bitcoin-dies.html

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 12:18:21 AM

yes

lucif
proudhon
adam
ElectricMucus
sublime

i'm probably missing a few.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 12:24:28 AM

Unfortunately, there are not really any credit worthy bears that are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Being short Bitcoin is a very very financially dangerous proposition. I would love to help skin some bears.

For example, I would love to help broker a 100,000+ BTC short contract with one that has sufficient collateral (perhaps a piece of real estate with about $2-6m of equity or a guaranteed letter of credit?) to post.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 12:26:18 AM

We keep them well fed. Please keep your hands clear of their cages. If you play a nice upbeat tune, they may dance for you, but normally they just growl a lot.  Cheesy

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ajk
Donator

Activity: 447

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 12:36:45 AM

how can there be bears in this market? look at the past year for bitcoin

bears are only bears for several reasons,
1) they follow bitcoin and have no money so hate the fact that others are gaining from it,
2) bad at trading and always make losing decisions while holding their position would have yielded more profit,
3) want to buy in at a lower price

not to discredit lucif i dont follow his line graphing i just think the whole idea of it is bogus my image is just someone throwing darts around the current price and then connecting the dots after the fact and then relaying that information on, same premise of line graphing, Fortune telling and we all know how real Ms.Cleo was at the low low price of 1 dollar per minute

also agree with the post above for credible bears there are none cause how can you have lost within the bitcoin market if you bought 1 year ago and buried your laptop in the workroom and then come back today to find out its 10X its value?

in relation to the article,

DOJ did a very good job at stopping torrenting and peer to peer file sharing im sure bitcoin will be as easy to put out, Ban BTC in the USA? its going to take a friggen century to get something like that passed as a serious law considering it takes simple ones decades,

Price to 0? Sure thats definitely possible as well.. considering some of the most profitable businesses in BTC are only raking in serious money and are not just making their livelihood off bitcoin, as long as people rely on BTC as part of their income the price will be above 0.00
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 12:41:43 AM

I think Cypher's list probably comprises close to all of them (at least the ones who are still around and post with any frequency).

Generally, I think people are not likely to retain significant interest in bitcoin if they think it's going to fail. And they if they don't think failure is inevitable, it's hard to be long-term bearish. That said, I think lots of us long-term bulls still think, at times, that the price has gone too far too fast, but that's really just a mostly-irrelevant short-term consideration.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 12:47:25 AM

I think Cypher's list probably comprises close to all of them (at least the ones who are still around and post with any frequency).

Generally, I think people are not likely to retain significant interest in bitcoin if they think it's going to fail. And they if they don't think failure is inevitable, it's hard to be long-term bearish. That said, I think lots of us long-term bulls still think, at times, that the price has gone too far too fast, but that's really just a mostly-irrelevant short-term consideration.

(emphasis mine)

This.

Long-term, BTC almost has to be worth either a heckuvalot or diddly squat. Not much room in between, IMHO.

I'll happily be short-term bearish, however. Add evolve to the list of known Bitcointalk bears.

bitcointip Melbustus +BTC0,0025

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 12:51:31 AM

1) they follow bitcoin and have no money so hate the fact that others are gaining from it,
2) bad at trading and always make losing decisions while holding their position would have yielded more profit,

not to discredit lucif i dont follow his line graphing i just think the whole idea of it is bogus my image is just someone throwing darts around the current price and then connecting the dots after the fact and then relaying that information on, same premise of line graphing, Fortune telling and we all know how real Ms.Cleo was at the low low price of 1 dollar per minute

also agree with the post above for credible bears there are none cause how can you have lost within the bitcoin market if you bought 1 year ago and buried your laptop in the workroom and then come back today to find out its 10X its value?

DOJ did a very good job at stopping torrenting and peer to peer file sharing im sure bitcoin will be as easy to put out, Ban BTC in the USA? its going to take a friggen century to get something like that passed as a serious law considering it takes simple ones decades,

Price to 0? Sure thats definitely possible as well.. considering some of the most profitable businesses in BTC are only raking in serious money and are not just making their livelihood off bitcoin, as long as people rely on BTC as part of their income the price will be above 0.00

This article seems to contradict the statement of yours that I've bolded: http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-traffic-increases-40-in-half-a-year-121107/

I doubt that tactic would be successful

edit: Unless I misunderstood and you were being sarcastic  Huh

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 12:57:01 AM

I'm not even sure the term "bear" can even apply to Bitcoin. This is an emerging technology. The trading factor is really incidental. I would love to see the price of Bitcoin drop again like it did a year ago so I could acquire more, but I won't hold my breath. We won't even see a real market for Bitcoin until it starts reaching its potential utility which is still under development. The conservatives that advise about over-exuberance are certainly welcome to the discussion.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ajk
Donator

Activity: 447

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 12:58:41 AM

Dude lol.. I was being sarcastic,

Torrenting is still strongly present and even when someone is persecuted for it, it does nothing to the masses,

next time ill italicize my sarcasm for clarification

Edit:

Lol on the money, Definite sarcasm, both points i was saying are invalid since the idea of bitcoin in the sense of peer to peer sharing already exists through torrents and it is impossible to stop, it would only make sense for bitcoin to be as equally as hard to put an end to, I also said it would take centuries to get a law passed banning bitcoins considering it takes forever to get simple laws passed in our current form / state of govt,

bitcoin will also never be 0.00 as long as businesses operating using bitcoin as a currency are still operational only til everyone involved says bitcoin is worthless will it then be worthless,
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 12:59:14 AM

This article seems to contradict the statement of yours that I've bolded: http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-traffic-increases-40-in-half-a-year-121107/

I doubt that tactic would be successful

edit: Unless I misunderstood and you were being sarcastic  Huh

have you ever heard of sarcasm?
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:00:09 AM

Dude lol.. I was being sarcastic,

Torrenting is still strongly present and even when someone is persecuted for it, it does nothing to the masses,

next time ill italicize my sarcasm for clarification

Yeah yeah I got it after I pressed post  Cheesy

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:06:03 AM

Bears are becoming rare because they are being hunted to extinction, but if I see any I will let you know.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:21:27 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2013, 01:33:44 AM by Spaceman_Spiff

If you want a dosis of bitcoin hate, you could go to the SA forum:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
(this is an old thread though, this one is newer: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517639&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 )

Bunch of idiots making fun of "stupid nerds with fake money".  I wonder what kind of return they are making on their investments though  Grin .  

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:26:42 AM

...The conservatives that advise about over-exuberance are certainly welcome to the discussion.

Buy the corrections; It's past due for one now.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:30:05 AM

yes

lucif
proudhon
adam
ElectricMucus
sublime

The biggest BTC bear has to be pirateat40; however he defaulted on his massive BTC short position six months ago.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 01:44:39 AM

yes

lucif
proudhon
adam
ElectricMucus
sublime

The biggest BTC bear has to be pirateat40; however he defaulted on his massive BTC short position six months ago.
Running a ponzi doesn't make someone a bear.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:55:12 AM

yes

lucif
proudhon
adam
ElectricMucus
sublime

Paying 7% a week in BTC is perfectly sustainable if the BTC / USD rate drops at a compound rate greater than 7% a week as it did in the fall of 2011. All you do is sell your BTC for USD and hold USD. When the BTC / USD first stabilized and then started to rise this bear first tried to manipulate the market (hugh mistake) and when this did not work then it became indistinguishable from a ponzi.

It is the real rate of return not the nominal rate of return one has to look at in order to determine if something is a ponzi or not.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 02:04:45 AM

yes

lucif
proudhon
adam
ElectricMucus
sublime

Defaulting doesn't make your business venture a ponzi.  There is no evidence beyond the conviction laid down by the peanut gallery.  It could very easily have been short trading gone bad.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 02:18:04 AM

I posted this in mid-July. Within two months the bear pirateat40 (well, more likely his business and trading strategy) had been shot, skinned, gutted, grilled and eaten for lunch.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: