Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:00:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Pool] Offset your carbon footprint! Profits buy trees and rainforest  (Read 11968 times)
MyFarm (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:06:58 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2015, 02:30:23 AM by MyFarm

Let's make a positive difference! Thank you!  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Burt

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:14:41 AM

Love the idea good luck mate
Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:32:35 AM

Wow, such a simple idea, I love it.  If you did block payouts like Eligius, I'd totally switch.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:58:40 AM

I am all for planting trees and keeping the planet healthy. But I am opposed to the idea of a carbon footprint. Trees are important for keeping the air clean of pollutants (carbon dioxide is NOT a pollutant, its essential for life).

Carbon dixoide is absorbed by the oceans (over 70% of the earth's surface is ocean) when the earth is cooler (when the sun is not as active). Similarly, carbon dioxide is released by the oceans when the earth gets warmer (when the sun is very active with sunspots and solar flares). This all means that increased carbon dioxide levels FOLLOW global warming. It does NOT cause it.

It really is that simple.

To sum up, trees are free. No one owns them, anyone can go plant a tree on their own, there is no need a for a "carbon footprint fund".

I'd like to thank Al Gore for making this little rant (necessary).

hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:06:08 AM

Thank you very much.  Let's see if we can self regulate like we claim Smiley

Bitcoin will autoregulate, just not necesarely the way you like it to autoregulate.

Anyway, good luck with the new pool. Its a good idea.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Quantumplation

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:12:51 AM

Wow, such a simple idea, I love it.  If you did block payouts like Eligius, I'd totally switch.
Can you please explain how the block payouts differ and why it's better?  I'd be happy to refer your thoughts to the software developer if it is indeed a superior system.  Thank you.

Here's a block solved by the Eligius pool:

http://blockexplorer.com/block/000000000000026210a972387c00e6db801346b32a815a996d698211d71a197c

The software keeps a virtual tally of your unpaid balance.  Once this crosses 1btc, you're paid out on the next generated block, RIGHT there, in the generation block.  The money never sits in some intermediary account held by the pool-owner.  There's a lot less required trust, because while the pool owner can still shut down the pool before you get your "fair share" (aka virtual balance), HE doesn't get anything out of it.  It's a very subtle and clever system, so I suggest you (or the developer) spend some time thinking about it to understand why it truly works, and I won't use a pool without it.  Obviously, you can incorporate the 3% fees as just taking 3% off the top of the generation block to your own address.  Eligius itself has no fees, but since your fees would be going to an actual cause, I might not mind as much.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
simplecoin

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 05:25:42 AM

Very nice rework of the framework! Where's the clap emoticon when I need it?

Donations: 1VjGJHPtLodwCFBDWsHJMdEhqRcRKdBQk
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 05:57:55 AM

I am all for planting trees and keeping the planet healthy. But I am opposed to the idea of a carbon footprint. Trees are important for keeping the air clean of pollutants (carbon dioxide is NOT a pollutant, its essential for life).

Carbon dixoide is absorbed by the oceans (over 70% of the earth's surface is ocean) when the earth is cooler (when the sun is not as active). Similarly, carbon dioxide is released by the oceans when the earth gets warmer (when the sun is very active with sunspots and solar flares). This all means that increased carbon dioxide levels FOLLOW global warming. It does NOT cause it.

It really is that simple.

To sum up, trees are free. No one owns them, anyone can go plant a tree on their own, there is no need a for a "carbon footprint fund".

I'd like to thank Al Gore for making this little rant (necessary).

Either way, there's a lot of rainforres to be rescued... Animals live there and they need the space...
paulie_w

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:58:27 AM

what an absolutely brilliant idea. i love this!
jashan

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 06:16:53 AM

Awesome! I was actually looking for a pool that I really feel worthy of supporting and this is it. Kudos for creating this!!!
AnonymousBat

Activity: 111

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:20:33 AM

One issue we're all aware of is that mining uses a LOT of electricity and therefore our carbon footprint rises, sometimes substantially.  Enter EcoCoin.org, a new mining pool where the profit from our 2% fees go towards purchasing trees and rainforest land to offset your carbon footprint.  If you mine with EcoCoin, you can rest easier knowing you're helping save the earth one mined Bitcoin at a time.

Roll Eyes

No offense, but I don't buy into the propaganda that the world is going to end because we use electricity, and that a throwing a bunch of money at the problem is somehow going to 'fix' it. The entire climate change 'problem' is a scam in order to basically create a new currency called carbon credits, with a new central bank, and the best part? The credits can expire if they're unused!

Newsflash: The climate always changes.

At least you're doing it by choice and not by government force though.
MyFarm (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:22:37 AM

Very nice rework of the framework! Where's the clap emoticon when I need it?
Thank you very much.  And thank YOU for making all this possible!
swusc2

Activity: 304

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:25:59 AM

One issue we're all aware of is that mining uses a LOT of electricity and therefore our carbon footprint rises, sometimes substantially.  Enter EcoCoin.org, a new mining pool where the profit from our 2% fees go towards purchasing trees and rainforest land to offset your carbon footprint.  If you mine with EcoCoin, you can rest easier knowing you're helping save the earth one mined Bitcoin at a time.

Roll Eyes

No offense, but I don't buy into the propaganda that the world is going to end because we use electricity, and that a throwing a bunch of money at the problem is somehow going to 'fix' it. The entire climate change 'problem' is a scam in order to basically create a new currency called carbon credits, with a new central bank, and the best part? The credits can expire if they're unused!

Newsflash: The climate always changes.

At least you're doing it by choice and not by government force though.

It's up to debate whether climate change is natural or man-made and how much people are doing to upset the balance.

But concrete > trees. You can out bid people for land for ecological preservation and use it as such to plant trees. Climate change may or may not be inevitable/disastrous/nothing at all. But trees don't grow out of concrete and there are definitely less trees, and that man-made.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
AnonymousBat

Activity: 111

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:28:50 AM

It's up to debate whether climate change is natural or man-made and how much people are doing to upset the balance.

But concrete > trees. You can out bid people for land for ecological preservation and use it as such to plant trees. Climate change may or may not be inevitable/disastrous/nothing at all. But trees don't grow out of concrete and there are definitely less trees, and that man-made.

I don't think it's impossible for man to have an impact, but any government 'solution' by force really isn't going to do anything. A free market approach isn't so bad though cause people have choice.

One thing about tress though, trees used in the paper and lumber industry are all farmed. They plant them, wait until they grow to the right size, cut them down, plant new ones.

Don't take it personally I just get antsy whenever I see "save the world  from climate change by doing x!"
swusc2

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:30:45 AM

I don't think it's impossible for man to have an impact, but any government 'solution' by force really isn't going to do anything. A free market approach isn't so bad though cause people have choice.

One thing about tress though, trees used in the paper and lumber industry are all farmed. They plant them, wait until they grow to the right size, cut them down, plant new ones.

Don't take it personally I just get antsy whenever I see "save the world by doing x!"

That might be partially true maybe some developed countries can afford or FARM trees. But the majority of nations can't. I can say for fact China does not FARM trees for its needs and most of South American if not all of Africa.

Quantumplation

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:31:42 AM

The software keeps a virtual tally of your unpaid balance.  Once this crosses 1btc, you're paid out on the next generated block, RIGHT there, in the generation block.  The money never sits in some intermediary account held by the pool-owner.  There's a lot less required trust, because while the pool owner can still shut down the pool before you get your "fair share" (aka virtual balance), HE doesn't get anything out of it.  It's a very subtle and clever system, so I suggest you (or the developer) spend some time thinking about it to understand why it truly works, and I won't use a pool without it.  Obviously, you can incorporate the 3% fees as just taking 3% off the top of the generation block to your own address.  Eligius itself has no fees, but since your fees would be going to an actual cause, I might not mind as much.
The developer is interested in incorporating this (see here) but needs a little insight.  Do you think you could answer his questions?  Thank you!  Smiley

Sure, have him send me a private message.  I'll answer any questions I can, and any that I can't I'll refer you to someone who can.

swusc2

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:43:00 AM

You sir are a genius.

It lets people make money, makes Bitcoin look better, and lets people sleep easier knowing they are doing some good.

More pools like this should go up and associate themselves with a charity. People can pick and choose what pool they go to and what charity to support.

Don't be greedy you people who are thinking about opening up pools. If you are reading this the good publicity can potentially pay for itself.

swusc2

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:03:02 AM

Free Bump.

This idea is amazing people join this pool. It's for a good cause and it makes Bitcoin look good.

GideonGono

Activity: 1988
Merit: 501

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 08:16:35 AM

awesome idea, I hope it's as user friendly as deepbit otherwise Undecided

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Reikoku

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

firstbits: 1kwc1p

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:24:27 AM

Can we get some stats on profit and how much is being donated where, what it's doing for the environment etc. Also, can you explain running costs so that we know how much fees are going to have to cover to make 'profits'?

I'm a huge sceptic of anthropogenic global warming theory, but I am an environmentalist (the oldschool type: I like to walk in the countryside, I like clean air etc) and would be happy to support this pool if the numbers are right.

Foggyb, 'anyone can go plant a tree' avoids the objective. The more we cut down rainforests, the harder it's going to be to maintain a healthy earth and keep oxygen production sustainable. You, or me, planting one tree, isn't going to offset the massive amount of deforestation going on right now. I'm not saying don't plant a tree, but it doesn't undo the amount of deforestation done in your name.

TheYogi, don't just try to sell this from a carbon point of view because AGW is a hot debate and a lot of people will avoid the pool and all the good it's doing from a point of view of it being one side or the other of the AGW debate. Deforestation is an issue for all of us, not just AGW-believers.

Rei | 1Kwc1pqv54jCg8jvnm3Gu1dqFQYhS34Bow
Trades So Far: 7
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: