Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:53:36 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-02-13 Could Amazon run central banks out of business  (Read 1683 times)
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 11:26:37 AM

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/could-amazon-run-central-banks-out-of-business-2013-02-13
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 12:12:40 PM

These articles are more and more ridicolous

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 12:54:24 PM

Next on the news:

Could Carrots replace the Dollar?

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 12:58:24 PM

Next on the news:

If you can buy Tide and Tulips on Amazon, does that make it a multi-currency exchange?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 01:04:37 PM

Next on the news:

If you can buy Tide and Tulips on Amazon, does that make it a multi-currency exchange?

Only if you can then sell the Tide and Tulips back for Ama-coins  Grin
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 01:06:02 PM

No.

Next question please.

----
PS.
I think that this situation is quite useful for Bitcoin for 2 reasons.

1. It disperses attention of governments & banks so that they now could go after two targets (even if amazon coin is not really a threat, they may spend some time getting to it).
2. It may pave the way for all alternative currencies into the current system

I wonder if Amazon will take this "coin thing" further, making it a real currency, not just a gift card system.

Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 01:21:46 PM

Even though the article has a lot of fail to it, it's great to have more publicity on alternative currencies. First, no one even wanted to talk about it, then the publicity was all negative or condescending, and now even mainstream economists are talking about them somewhat nuetrality. This is a good thing.

For the sake of argument, Amazon could be quite effective in displacing fiat if they desired. Let's say that they acted as a central bank and operated an exchange. They let the currency float, but guarantee a minimum value in USD that they will exchange their coins for. They set up ridiculously easy ways to transfer quickly between individuals and businesses through mobile apps, credit cards, etc. Convince people to buy Amazon bucks before making a purchase by giving some sort of discount in terms of USD, but only from bank accounts, not credit cards. Also price everything sold by Amazon with a slightly lower price in terms of AmazonCoins. The savings for Amazon comes from not having to deal with credit card fees, chargebacks, reduced fraud, etc. They also become even more competitive by cutting out the middleman. Then with the minimum exchange rate, their suppliers don't mind taking coins, and perhaps will even pay their employees with those coins. Circulation could potentially happen.

Of course, Amazon has to manage everything perfectly, and somehow get away with pissing off first the credit card companies and then the Federal Reserve. And somehow avoid state and federal taxes from this scheme. And convince people that they can centrally manage a currency better than central banks. (The truth is that they could, but sadly, the average person has more faith in the Fed when it comes to money)
Zomdifros

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 01:56:47 PM

Although the guy didn't really look into the differences between the various virtual currencies, I liked his conclusion a lot, especially on a site like MarketWatch:

And if you invest in one of the new currencies, it will certainly do better than any of the traditional ones. As they emerge, they are almost certainly worth a minor hedge — and who knows, perhaps even a major one.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 02:59:38 PM

Lol, investing in amazon points surely will be profitable :facepalm:

grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 03:00:58 PM

This is so stupid. When will the media stop jerking off about amazon coins, IT'S NOT A CURRENCY.

Don't use BIPS!
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 03:14:56 PM

piper, could you please post a little less news?
the whole article isnt about bitcoin at all and amazoncoins arent even a currency. it gets very hard to distinguish noise from signal in this forum lately.
Zomdifros

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 03:18:17 PM

the whole article isnt about bitcoin at all and amazoncoins arent even a currency. it gets very hard to distinguish noise from signal in this forum lately.

Bitcoin is mentioned on MarketWatch with the advice to invest in it. I think that is relevant. I agree with the articles based on blog posts though.

TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2013, 03:19:55 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2013, 04:33:02 PM by TangibleCryptography

Next on the news:

Actually that would make more sense.  This is more like "Could US dollar denominated gift cards bought only with US dollars replace the US central bank (which prints US dollars*)?".  

* well technically Federal Reserve Notes.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 03:21:30 PM

This is so stupid. When will the media stop jerking off about amazon coins, IT'S NOT A CURRENCY.

But Amazon says it's a currency!  Roll Eyes

It really is baffling where all this hype is coming from.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Vladimir

Activity: 812

-

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 04:03:52 PM

Q.
Could Amazon run central banks out of business
A. No.

Q. Could a president of USA or a leader of another nation run central banks out of business?
A. Maybe, but unlikely.

History tells us that at least on two occasions presidents of USA were able to temporarily "run central banks out of business" and that only in USA. However, those presidents were quickly pushed out of the game via assassinations or otherwise. Some of those who have tried "to run central banks out of business" were assassinated for this. JFK, Hussein, Nicholas II, Faddafi would be some examples of that. No, Amazon stands no chance here. It would be up to the People.

With Bitcoin it is more complicated. Who would the bankers assassinate to keep their usurious ways? Streisand perhaps?

-
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 05:21:05 PM

My understanding was that the test was a mention of Bitcoin, not that the article itself should BE about Bitcoin.

Also, as mentioned before, these posts emanate from Zite, which gathers articles from a number of sources, including blog posts, and presents them as news. In today's environment, I'm not sure one would qualify as news more than any other.

But sure, I'll post less, no skin off my nose. I thought more was better, but perhaps not.

Cheers
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 05:32:08 PM

you guys are all really missing the big picture here. could amazon rise up and overtake the dollar in its current hegemonic state, no. But the us is killing its own dollar and something will need to fill that void. In reality many different systems will probably be utelized, local currencies will probably be used to an extent as well as silver gold and systems like bitcoin and yes large corporations would likely monetize their own credit. (we already see this to a small extent with sky miles) Surely its reasonably likely that under such conditions walmart points could at-least be a serious contender for predominate currency in large portions of the world.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 08:53:47 PM

These articles are great, and also getting more ridiculous. It is great to see people waking up and thinking about what a hegemonic monetary system we have lived with all these years (and the damages it has wrought). They are ridiculous because it sounds like the gibberish people say when they first wake up also.

Just waiting for the inevitable

"Amazon Coins are a Ponzi Scheme"

article. I mean if bitcoins are a Ponzi, Amazon is ponzi^2 ... virtual ponzi credits based on gov. ponzi credits. Smiley

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2013, 09:26:29 PM

These articles are great, and also getting more ridiculous. It is great to see people waking up and thinking about what a hegemonic monetary system we have lived with all these years (and the damages it has wrought). They are ridiculous because it sounds like the gibberish people say when they first wake up also.

Just waiting for the inevitable

"Amazon Coins are a Ponzi Scheme"

article. I mean if bitcoins are a Ponzi, Amazon is ponzi^2 ... virtual ponzi credits based on gov. ponzi credits. Smiley

Naw, ponzi detection works like this:

Does it have to do with money?

If no: END
If yes:

Have I heard of it a few times?

If yes: END
If no: PONZI

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 09:35:49 PM

Isn't stuff like Amazon Coins serving to effectively increase monetary inflation?  I mean, if I have $1000 of Amazon coins, and I give $1000 to Amazon for those coins, then suddenly, there's $2000 of purchasing power.  I can purchase things from Amazon, and they can purchase things from whoever.

It's a strange form of debt I guess.  I let Amazon take out an interest-free loan from me with the promise to repay me in goods of equivalent value whenever I like.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: