Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:28:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My 2,000 BTC is all gone :(  (Read 8984 times)
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 07:04:49 PM

OK. You're a gay couple? And you're also into that dog stuff?

Yes we are (together for almost 14 years). We don't like dogs, or anything like "that" with real animals. But we like anime and furry style art.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 07:21:43 PM

In this case it probaly would have been best to finance the vehicle and make payments with deflating bitcoins over several years. Hmm... a new car sounds like a good idea. Is that a hybrid?

Didn't want to risk having coins drop in value while buying, plus just feels good to hand over a huge check and take the title without owing anything to anyone.
Yeah, it's a hybrid. I get about 58mpg on it on my trips. Went with a Prius because it's the most technologically advanced (non-concept) car you can buy, and I like high tech things. Instruction books are 350 pages just for the car, and another 250 just for the navigation system/audio/cameras/auto-park. Thing is drive-by-wire for everything but the steering wheel  Grin
My inner self struggles with this.  On the one hand, I love techy toys.  On the other hand, I love lightweight cars that are exactly NOT drive-by-wire, that I can feel the mechanics of what every piece is doing, that I have instantaneous throttle response and can feel every bump, nook, and cranny that the front wheels touch on the road.  I tear myself apart that I want a car with all these novel features, but at the same time, I want a car that is just a raw driving experience without computers doing much of the work at all and without extra devices to weigh it down.  Currently have a Miata, which very much satisfies the raw driving experience side of things.

That said, I always make fun of people who drive hybrids because of how expensive they are and how many miles they take to break even on the extra cost.  I applaud you for finding a different reason besides "saving money" to drive one.  Smiley
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 07:38:57 PM

My inner self struggles with this.  On the one hand, I love techy toys.  On the other hand, I love lightweight cars that are exactly NOT drive-by-wire, that I can feel the mechanics of what every piece is doing, that I have instantaneous throttle response and can feel every bump, nook, and cranny that the front wheels touch on the road.  

I'm actually like you on this. But with the car's stability features making it feel like it's gliding on rails (doesn't lean on turns), it being whisper quiet, and it having that characteristic beige color all around inside with the high tech looking gauges, numbers, engine status screens, driving status, etc. I just pretend like I'm flying a Star Trek shuttle, and I feel a little bit better. Only a little, though, because that is ridiculously nerdy.
That lack of feedback is a bit of a problem actually. With the continuously variable transmission making the engine only have one speed (unless you are flooring it), no engine or gear switching feedback through the gas pedal since it's just a pressure switch, acceleration being so smooth, and the car looking and feeling so solid and bulky from the inside, you can't really feel your speed at all. 25, 45, and 65 all feel the same, and feel slow, so you pretty much have to keep looking at the speedometer and go, "Oh, I'm doing 65 already? Guess I'll just take your word for it." Also a problem because it can hit 65+ quickly and easily if you're not paying attention (but can use regenerative braking while in cruise control to slow down on hills, since those brakes are electronic, so not as much of a problem).
Also, my last car hit 240,000, so I totally expect to break even on it eventually  Grin Otherwise, with my new car being paid off just like my last car, the only difference I'll be seeing in my normal day-to-day finances is having to gas up every two weeks instead of one. But yeah, I'm mostly giddy about the tech  Cheesy
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:27:41 PM

I feel cheated, they didn't go with a *poof*, more like a vroom (though in this case, probably a whirrr).

Not a huge fan of the Prius. Was looking into one and ended up going with a TDI Jetta. Nice economy and you also get the vroom.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:33:15 PM

In this case it probaly would have been best to finance the vehicle and make payments with deflating bitcoins over several years. Hmm... a new car sounds like a good idea. Is that a hybrid?

Didn't want to risk having coins drop in value while buying, plus just feels good to hand over a huge check and take the title without owing anything to anyone.
Yeah, it's a hybrid. I get about 58mpg on it on my trips. Went with a Prius because it's the most technologically advanced (non-concept) car you can buy, and I like high tech things. Instruction books are 350 pages just for the car, and another 250 just for the navigation system/audio/cameras/auto-park. Thing is drive-by-wire for everything but the steering wheel  Grin
My inner self struggles with this.  On the one hand, I love techy toys.  On the other hand, I love lightweight cars that are exactly NOT drive-by-wire, that I can feel the mechanics of what every piece is doing, that I have instantaneous throttle response and can feel every bump, nook, and cranny that the front wheels touch on the road.  I tear myself apart that I want a car with all these novel features, but at the same time, I want a car that is just a raw driving experience without computers doing much of the work at all and without extra devices to weigh it down.  Currently have a Miata, which very much satisfies the raw driving experience side of things.

That said, I always make fun of people who drive hybrids because of how expensive they are and how many miles they take to break even on the extra cost.  I applaud you for finding a different reason besides "saving money" to drive one.  Smiley

maybe you should get involved (or help fund) wikispeed so at some point you can have your dream car made or make it yourself.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 09:42:17 PM

I feel cheated, they didn't go with a *poof*, more like a vroom (though in this case, probably a whirrr).

Not a huge fan of the Prius. Was looking into one and ended up going with a TDI Jetta. Nice economy and you also get the vroom.

Also hoping to get a TDI, but when I look at VW's European models, the MPG is practically double what it is in the U.S. /rageface

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 10:21:05 PM

My inner self struggles with this.  On the one hand, I love techy toys.  On the other hand, I love lightweight cars that are exactly NOT drive-by-wire, that I can feel the mechanics of what every piece is doing, that I have instantaneous throttle response and can feel every bump, nook, and cranny that the front wheels touch on the road.  

I'm actually like you on this. But with the car's stability features making it feel like it's gliding on rails (doesn't lean on turns), it being whisper quiet, and it having that characteristic beige color all around inside with the high tech looking gauges, numbers, engine status screens, driving status, etc. I just pretend like I'm flying a Star Trek shuttle, and I feel a little bit better. Only a little, though, because that is ridiculously nerdy.
That lack of feedback is a bit of a problem actually. With the continuously variable transmission making the engine only have one speed (unless you are flooring it), no engine or gear switching feedback through the gas pedal since it's just a pressure switch, acceleration being so smooth, and the car looking and feeling so solid and bulky from the inside, you can't really feel your speed at all. 25, 45, and 65 all feel the same, and feel slow, so you pretty much have to keep looking at the speedometer and go, "Oh, I'm doing 65 already? Guess I'll just take your word for it." Also a problem because it can hit 65+ quickly and easily if you're not paying attention (but can use regenerative braking while in cruise control to slow down on hills, since those brakes are electronic, so not as much of a problem).
Also, my last car hit 240,000, so I totally expect to break even on it eventually  Grin Otherwise, with my new car being paid off just like my last car, the only difference I'll be seeing in my normal day-to-day finances is having to gas up every two weeks instead of one. But yeah, I'm mostly giddy about the tech  Cheesy
Sounds like fun, just in a different way.  Smiley  Just hope you don't have to replace the battery pack before the break-even point!

My inner self struggles with this.  On the one hand, I love techy toys.  On the other hand, I love lightweight cars that are exactly NOT drive-by-wire, that I can feel the mechanics of what every piece is doing, that I have instantaneous throttle response and can feel every bump, nook, and cranny that the front wheels touch on the road.  I tear myself apart that I want a car with all these novel features, but at the same time, I want a car that is just a raw driving experience without computers doing much of the work at all and without extra devices to weigh it down.  Currently have a Miata, which very much satisfies the raw driving experience side of things.

That said, I always make fun of people who drive hybrids because of how expensive they are and how many miles they take to break even on the extra cost.  I applaud you for finding a different reason besides "saving money" to drive one.  Smiley

maybe you should get involved (or help fund) wikispeed so at some point you can have your dream car made or make it yourself.
I wish I could, but I do not have extra money to help fund it, and don't really have much in the way of mechanical, engineering, or modeling skills to contribute.  I look forward to the day those cars are a production reality though - they've done some truly amazing work there!

Also hoping to get a TDI, but when I look at VW's European models, the MPG is practically double what it is in the U.S. /rageface
I'm told we can blame that on the ridiculous emissions requirements that the US has on diesel cars vs Europe.  I don't know exactly what the differences are, and I haven't verified that statement other than talking to my uncle who owns a diesel truck and complains about the various emissions equipment he can remove to nearly double his mileage.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 10:46:50 PM

Careful with the MPG since the British gallon is larger than the US gallon. The newer cars are also not getting the same mileage as the older ones. Mine is a 2000 and I'm getting just a touch over 45 to the gallon. Mostly I like it because I can go nearly 700 miles on a tank which, for me, means only stopping once a week to refuel.

vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:07:55 AM

Careful with the MPG since the British gallon is larger than the US gallon. The newer cars are also not getting the same mileage as the older ones. Mine is a 2000 and I'm getting just a touch over 45 to the gallon. Mostly I like it because I can go nearly 700 miles on a tank which, for me, means only stopping once a week to refuel.

I haven't seen a Prius making over 40MPG... I took a bunch for a ride from ZipCar and on average they did about 37MPG... Not that impressive since I had Ford Fiesta doing 35MPG and Fusion doing 32MPG... And Fusion is a much better car.

And yea, Golf TDI was doing 35MPG with 2 people and 2 large dogs (70 pounds each) and a trailer behind at about 1500LBS.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 02:52:13 AM

Thanks, I'll try to remember this and get an old of a certified used as possible.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 03:32:34 AM

The US vs Europe makes me rageface too! I thought the smart cars were cool and cute as hell (swappable panels, like cellphone faceplates!), and they did 70+mpg on diesel. When they finally came out in US, they do only about 40mpg, and require premium gas, so no savings at all. I was looking forward to getting one for, like, ten years, ever since I saw them in Italy, and when they finally came out, and the EPA totally fucked them up, I was pissed!!!  Angry
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:41:08 PM

Thanks, I'll try to remember this and get an old of a certified used as possible.

You may not want as old as possible. Diesels have been around for a long time and the older ones were missing some modern improvements (Anything without a turbo is a no-deal in my opinion). The ALH engine seems to be pretty well regarded though. I was actually going to retire this one but my newer car has developed an engine issue so I'm driving this one until the weather gets better and I can take a look at it but I'm really enjoying being back in it (Turbo, manual and economy goes a long way vs 4.0 raw power) and I'm going to spend some $$$ bringing it back to a nice condition (it has 210,000 miles on it).

I would actually love a TDI sportswagon but I'm having trouble finding one in a manual and at the right miles/price. Plus VW seem to be going with a really lame selection of colors these days (I blame the American public. Everyone seems obsessed with resale value which means black, silver and white Sad )

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 09:38:31 PM

Yeah, certified used models don't go back past 2000 I think, maybe even closer to now.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 09:45:23 PM

The US vs Europe makes me rageface too! I thought the smart cars were cool and cute as hell (swappable panels, like cellphone faceplates!), and they did 70+mpg on diesel. When they finally came out in US, they do only about 40mpg, and require premium gas, so no savings at all. I was looking forward to getting one for, like, ten years, ever since I saw them in Italy, and when they finally came out, and the EPA totally fucked them up, I was pissed!!!  Angry

Well, last time I was in the US they were basically giving gasoline away compared to European prices so not much need to have a god mileage Smiley
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 10:02:11 PM

I haven't seen a Prius making over 40MPG... I took a bunch for a ride from ZipCar and on average they did about 37MPG... Not that impressive since I had Ford Fiesta doing 35MPG and Fusion doing 32MPG... And Fusion is a much better car.

And yea, Golf TDI was doing 35MPG with 2 people and 2 large dogs (70 pounds each) and a trailer behind at about 1500LBS.

Must have been winter.

When driving a 2009 Prius I was able to do 45 mpg easily.  I usually get epa highway ratings on most vehicles I drive going 65 mph since they further revised the EPA tests.

It is amazing though that dodge has a full size truck doing 25 mpg on the highway now.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 10:06:21 PM

Hybrids are for absolute suckers.

Suckers who like low per mile cost and high trade in values.   Prius has one of the lowest TOTAL ownership costs. 

Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 03:18:20 PM

Well, last time I was in the US they were basically giving gasoline away compared to European prices so not much need to have a god mileage Smiley

Except you guys have something we don't: A decent public transportation system. Ours sucks, and is expensive as hell, so we have no choice but to drive everywhere. Plus everything here is so far apart, that working 30 to 60 minutes away is considered normal. Think of what you spend on buses and trains there, and that's pretty much what we spend on cars (plus maintenance).
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 03:20:06 PM

Except you guys have something we don't: A decent public transportation system. Ours sucks, and is expensive as hell, so we have no choice but to drive everywhere.

No wonder public transport is crap and expensive: noone uses it.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 03:22:55 PM

It also has to compete with MASSIVE government road and gas subsidies, meaning it almost can't, and definitely can't afford to pay for any improvements.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 03:29:49 PM

It also has to compete with MASSIVE government road and gas subsidies, meaning it almost can't, and definitely can't afford to pay for any improvements.

No Obama-Bus or something? Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: